Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've had my 2014 Misubushi Outlander PHEV for 6 days now and the wife and I absolutely love it. (The dogs not so much as they're a bit wary of the electrically operated tailgate, but I'm sure they'll get used to it)
We've mainly just done short journeys and very pleased with the efficiency so far. We did a longer journey yesterday, about 150 miles round trip and were a bit miffed at the mpg display, and the fact that it resets so easily and we couldn't get a continuous reading and therefore a reading for the whole trip. When we started off we got a reading of over 90 mpg and then because it only has a 2.2 digit display it changed to --.-- as it presumably went over a 100mpg. After we had done about 30 miles the petrol engine cut in as expected an the displayed mpg went down.....we completed the journey when it was reading about 35mpg.
Having read the drivers manual I understand that, overnight, the display will automatically reset and the next time we start driving it will start from scratch.
Does anyone else have a 'problem' with this? Our other car is a Honda Insight, which a simple hybrid. The fuel consumption monitor on that is reset by zeroing the trip meter, so, say, between refuelling we can get an accurate measure of the consumption over a long period. We can't seem to do that on the Outlander, short of noting the mileage every time we refuel and doing the calculation.
Does anyone else have a view on this?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi all,
I've had my 2014 Misubushi Outlander PHEV for 6 days now and the wife and I absolutely love it. (The dogs not so much as they're a bit wary of the electrically operated tailgate, but I'm sure they'll get used to it)
Sorry, not replying about the trip question, but just to let you know that you can - if you wish - disable the electrically operated tailgate and use it manually ... should your pooches demand it!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had mine for two and a half years.

The car does the important bits really well (cheap to run, reliable, ability to do the "I want to drive to Scotland at 2am with zero notice and take the whole family and luggage and only stop for the occasional toilet break" that no one ever actually does, but everyone says is the reason they will not buy an EV)

but the department that did the MMCS should have been told "yes, that is the sort of thing we want, now go and finish it off and make it work properly before we start selling them"

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't know about the 2014 model, but mine has two separate fuel consumption meters. There is the one that resets automatically, and another which only resets manually. I reset that the day I collected the car and left it since as a long term average. I can access it either via the MMCS display, or the dashboard display (somewhat painful number of button presses and holds required)

Richard, I don't understand why people ridicule the need to sometimes cover long distances by referring to bogus requirements like 2am, no notice etc. Every day I see threads on here with EV owners planning in tedious detail how to cover a perfectly average little journey of a couple of hundred miles, or adding hours to the journey times with recharging stops. Believe me, I would have an EV when it stops being a dominant factor in travelling.

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about the 2014 model, but mine has two separate fuel consumption meters. There is the one that resets automatically, and another which only resets manually. I reset that the day I collected the car and left it since as a long term average. I can access it either via the MMCS display, or the dashboard display (somewhat painful number of button presses and holds required)

Richard, I don't understand why people ridicule the need to sometimes cover long distances by referring to bogus requirements like 2am, no notice etc. Every day I see threads on here with EV owners planning in tedious detail how to cover a perfectly average little journey of a couple of hundred miles, or adding hours to the journey times with recharging stops. Believe me, I would have an EV when it stops being a dominant factor in travelling.

Steve
Hi Steve
Thanks for the response. I do have that facility of the 2 different meters, and yes if you set it to 'Manual' it does seem do a continuous monitor. However it automatically switches back to 'auto' when to turn the power off, and you have to switch to 'manual' when you power on again. I believe it remembers the last reading, but it is nuisance having to keep resetting before driving the car. Is this what you do?
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts