Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

One thing I have noticed over the last week is that the Kona does a lot more random braking in SCC than the Ioniq used to. I've adjusted the level of sensitivity of the SCC and have tried switching various things off and on but nothing seems to stop the ghost braking. Just this afternoon the car came to a near full stop on a clear road with parked cars either side. Am I missing something in the settings?

On the plus side, I found the Follow Lane Assist and think it is brilliant!

Alan.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
It's does tend to latch on to parked cars at times. It's a bit random and tends to happen quite a ways out. I've found that when approaching that sort of situation making a fairly definite steering action towards 'the gap' seems to help it direct its aim. (Our it might be my imagination.)
Either way I keep my foot on the throttle to override it if it does throw a panic.

Conversely I often find that approaching a line of stationary traffic it waits far too late (for me) to start slowing.

·
Registered
672 Posts
A couple of relevant bits from my on-line user handbook :
'Use the Smart Cruise Control system only when traveling on open highways in good weather.'
'Do not use the Smart Cruise Control when driving in parking lots'

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of relevant bits from my on-line user handbook :
'Use the Smart Cruise Control system only when traveling on open highways in good weather.'
'Do not use the Smart Cruise Control when driving in parking lots'
Parking lots? I use it on main roads, and the Ioniq never had a problem. In fact it once saved a cyclist from serious injury when at night the car braked for no apparent reason, until I saw someone with no lights, on a black bike, wearing black clothing. Talk about an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Isn't there a setting to adjust how quickly it responds? I'm sure there is a setting in the Niro that has 3 levels to set how quickly the system slows the car down. Needless to say I set it on the minimum intrusion and haven't looked at it again since, which is why I can't remember where it is and what it is called

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tonight I was SCC'ing along a dual carriagewat and the car in front pulled into the service area. My Kona decided to slow down as the car going into the service area slowed. Not good!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tonight I was SCC'ing along a dual carriagewat and the car in front pulled into the service area. My Kona decided to slow down as the car going into the service area slowed. Not good!
Yeah. The Ioniq would do it occasionally, but the Kona seems to be prone to it. I'm wondering if it's the position of the radar. On the Ioniq it was higher, behind the badge.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
It does tend to do that until it's sure that the other car has moved into a different lane - you can override it by gently pressing on the accelerator to keep going until you're past it.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
You are confusing it with Autopilot. Chugging along a DC or m'way it does a good impression of autonomy, but it ain't that. It's an assistance system. As Richard says you need to be 'there' in that sort of situation, and many others.

Bear in mind that the SCC uses radar in the pod (and I think maybe steering input too) and the lane identification uses the camera by the mirror. The SCC may not actually use the lane system to tell when a preceding car is leaving - that would be a risky judgement as it could just be someone drifting around.
My impression is that if the car isn't sure about lateral separation it will maintain a safe stopping distance to whatever it sees ahead - which is as it should be.

My only real criticism is that if you are in a fairly empty left lane with slow traffic to the right (typical busy motorway) the SCC will happily send you blatting up the inside and has to be 'restrained', which is a significant loss of function.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just watched Bjorn's latest video about a Tesla being hit from behind by a van when it phantom braked. It looks like even the industry leader suffers from it. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love love love the CRUISE control feature in Heavy stop & go freeway traffic. I just set it to like 20 MPH (USA) and it just keeps up with the car in front of me -- slowing braking stopping moving fwd and whatever speed the cars are going. Really nice feature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This video reminded me to check the Kona owners manual to find out if there's a way of disabling SCC in favour of a less intrusive cruise control (basic speed hold). I was pleased to find that there is, with the car in ready to cruise mode you press and hold the distance button and it switches the cruise control between SCC and a basic CC without auto steering or distance monitoring to the car in front. I use SCC on motorways but with SCC the car frequently phantom brakes in villages where the car sees parked vehicles that it thinks you'll hit; the normal cruise control doesn't do that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This video reminded me to check the Kona owners manual to find out if there's a way of disabling SCC in favour of a less intrusive cruise control (basic speed hold). I was pleased to find that there is, with the car in ready to cruise mode you press and hold the distance button and it switches the cruise control between SCC and a basic CC without auto steering or distance monitoring to the car in front. I use SCC on motorways but with SCC the car frequently phantom brakes in villages where the car sees parked vehicles that it thinks you'll hit; the normal cruise control doesn't do that.
Good call. I'll give that a try on the next shopping trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts