Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a fantastic idea...

Vote for your favourite driver and the three drivers with the most votes will each receive one 2.5-second ‘power boost’, temporarily increasing their car’s power from 133kw (180bhp) to 200kw (270bhp).

I love it!

http://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
So it's not a race, it's a popularity contest? "Send them to the lions!!!". ;)

Actually, I think it's quite a cute idea and good for publicity and the yoof, but at the same time I don't think it helps the race to be taken seriously. Or am I just being snobbish?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snobbish? Not IMO but purist perhaps... nothing wrong with that but this is the first year and it needs good PR and to get fans so I take your point but a single 2.5 second boost isn't much so I suspect it isn't going to have a major effect of the outcome. It might of course and that is the fun of it. :)

I think that anything that makes Formula E more interactive with the fans has to be a good thing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Utterly naff in my opinion and I was surprised to read that they were doing this as it gives doubters more ammo in their argument that it's just a gimmicky race series.

There was discussion about this on PH (with some amusing suggestions about what else they could do) which highlighted that most motorsport fans didn't like the idea. I hope they bin it before the first race starts in September.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I love it and I'd like a similar thing for F1 :eek: only in REAL-TIME!

If your driver is not doing so well, or needs a leg up to make a pass - Press the Button NOW!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
This smacks of one of Bernie's madcap ideas. Simulated rain showers anyone?

Edit: I suppose I actually meant "artificial rain-showers" but, hey, this is high tech so why not make them simulated? :)

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on what the objective is. If you want pure racing then I'd agree... it is a gimmick that dilutes the racing element.

But if you want the racing but also are after getting more fans, more PR, having something new and different to talk about all within a framework that doesn't affect the racing element all that much then I think it is a great idea.

:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Please don't turn it into some X Factor competition , which for a few more votes will lead to the sob story , que the music.......... I can't stand watching another programme were with tears running down their visor , we have to hear they are doing it for their disabled dog , who used to pull him to the karting track every Sunday because they were too poor to have a trailer . I can't see Coulthard doing the touchy feely bit on the grid ....;):)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think people are rather over reacting to this IMO. It is a bit of extra fun to create some fan interaction. What is wrong with that? It is a new formula with electric cars so we need all the PR we can get.

Wait and see how it is before knocking it. How knows... if it is done tastefully it might add to the spectacle.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There is a new app out that is actually half decent, which makes the fanboost process very easy. Been following Katherine Legge for years since her Champ Car days, so she got my vote today.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Not sure how to do that but some form of "FIA Formula E" search in Apple App Or Google Play stores will do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts