Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia E-Niro 64kWh 4+
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Recently added an EV to my small fleet of assorted four wheeled transportation devices, so thought it'd be an idea to join this forum as I get to grips with this technological marvel.

A couple of weeks ago I took delivery of a new Kia E-Niro (the 64kWh version, in all singing all dancing 4+ trim). So far, I'm very impressed with it.

The E-Niro is my company car, and was very much a financially driven choice; my last two company cars were hybrids, but was getting mightily sick of HMRC relieving me of nigh on £200 a month in BIK tax for an Ioniq hybrid that was used almost exclusively for work. The E-Niro, in contrast, costs me about £13 a month in tax, leaving me an extra £187 a month to spend on beer. Or parts for other old cars (see below). Good times.

Compared with the Ioniq, which was an entirely decent car in and of itself, the E-Niro is smoother, quieter, nicer inside, and considerably faster. Only downside so far is the smaller boot. Range anxiety, which I was fully anticipating, has simply not materialised. And the fortnightly visits to the petrol station will not be missed at all!

Not a full convert to EVing, though. Still have a big old diesel MPV for shifting big stuff/lots of stuff/lots of people/long distances, a mildly sporty little Italian hatchback for fun, and an 80s Ford which makes sure I don't end up with too much spare time or money. So as you can probably tell I am quite fond of the trusty internal combustion engine, but cannot deny that for daily driver duties the EV makes enormous sense.

Anyway, that's quite enough of my ramblings, will no doubt be asking some inane questions somewhere around here quite soon.

Cheers.
Jonny.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There is plenty of useful information on here to help you explore your e-Niro features. If there is anything baffling just ask, you will be sure to get some help.

Enjoy your new e-Niro.

Reactions: jonny5

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,505 Posts
Welcome. The Kona 64 is about the best affordable EV at present when viewed from range and economy aspects. A fine all rounder. About the only initial glitch that I've heard about is that some cars seem to have had the boot door adjustment fitted badly. It will latch OK and appear to be shut, and the car will still lock, but sometimes it will fail to disengage a sensor that keeps the car 'alive' in some weird way and can drain the 12v DC battery. That can lead to a multitude of bizzare events starting with being locked out of the car but also throwing up many fault lights.

If you search the forum thread feature you will find many discussions on this subject and also failing 12v DC charging systems that have been found to be a common EV issue as they are absent a normal ICE alternator system and instead rely on a DC to DC converter to keep the 12v topped up. Much depends on the driving pattern for this to work satisfactorily but it is always good practice to keep a close eye on the state of the 12v DC battery to avoid any issues at an inconvenient place and time. Many EV owners connect a smart charger overnight once a month whether it seems to be necessary or not. As part of the monthly tyre kicking and screenwash filling process.

The boot fixing check is probably not applicable to your car as it is still quite rare but still worth checking the position of the rubber stops that limit the boot door latching. But the 12v DC watching is worth paying attention to at least for the first few months of ownership.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
328 Posts
Hi from another 4+ owner here 👋🏻
Had ours about a month and loving it so far. Have a look under the boot floor for more storage space and videos on here for how to make it even bigger. We came from a Ceed so the boot seems ok to us!
It’s our only car as we are townies so mostly walk and hubby drives to work a few times a week.
So much fun to drive and no complaints so far 👍🏻

·
Registered
2021 Kia E-Niro 64kWh 4+
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers all.

Will keep an eye out for any bother with the 12v battery, must admit I was a little surprised to find an old-school lead acid auxiliary battery rather than a 12v supply taken from the traction battery (which was the arrangement in my Ioniq, complete with a "battery reset" button that used another module in the traction battery to power up if the auxiliary one was discharged).

Boot floor just needs a bit of plywood trimmed to shape and covered in carpet, to replace all the plastic and polystyrene gubbins that lives under the existing false floor. That'll gain another 5 or 6 inches of depth, which will be highly useful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts