Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'The fleet branded with the motto 'People Make Glasgow' are sitting unused just weeks before COP26 because covid restrictions meant council workers were unable to learn how to drive them during lockdown.'

Sigh....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Literally the only useful thing I could think of to be in a training course is "this is a type 2 socket, plug it in here overnight. This is the chademo connector, use it when you need a lot of charge". Should take 5 mins, not a whole course!

·
Registered
108 Posts
When our i3's were introduced a "check run" was recommended as plenty of people hadn't driven an automatic before, and it was felt sensible to walk people through the subtle control differences, the acceleration and regen capabilities, and explain use of the charging cables etc. If there was no check run/training offered and you crashed the car due to unfamiliarity with the characteristics of the vehicle I suspect you might have a reasonable chance of claiming against the employer, whereas if this was offered and declined you wouldn't. So there's probably a logic to it after a fashion - a single claim for injury is probably more expensive than offering an hours training.

As it happened, one chap who didn't have a check run promptly stacked an i3 into the car in front when it accelerated like a scalded cat; he'd been expecting a "milk float" as he put it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,073 Posts
Literally the only useful thing I could think of to be in a training course is "this is a type 2 socket, plug it in here overnight. This is the chademo connector, use it when you need a lot of charge". Should take 5 mins, not a whole course!
Clearly you've never been on the British Army 'How to use a computer' course. ;)

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
There is a car park not far from there in Hamilton which has something like 30 white South Lanarkshire Council branded Zoe's - which I have never seen move and have never seen anyone walking to or from them in a couple of years of driving past... I sometimes wonder what the batteries in those are like...

·
Registered
85 Posts
so, 200 second hand ev`s coming on the market shortly, what condition will the batteries be in after running flat & sittng there for that length of time? still, that env-200 van i have been searching for for months may just get a bit easier to find...
gary

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
What a bunch of smartar£e replies so far. Not one person who has replied so far knows anything at all about the use that these vehicles were intended for PRE-PANDEMIC.
As for the training, yes it might be 20 minutes computer based course saying which cards to use, how to plan the day's work around range, or top-up. All necessary! Completely different to private motoring. As I said, a bunch of smartar&e replies: sloppy journalism too.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
What a bunch of smartar£e replies so far. Not one person who has replied so far knows anything at all about the use that these vehicles were intended for PRE-PANDEMIC.
As for the training, yes it might be 20 minutes computer based course saying which cards to use, how to plan the day's work around range, or top-up. All necessary! Completely different to private motoring. As I said, a bunch of smartar&e replies: sloppy journalism too.
I drive past those council Zoe's in Hamilton on a semi-regular basis - while I'm sure Covid can't have helped, the Zoe's were there sitting idle before the first lockdown as well. They've been there since at least 2019 as far as I can remember, as I was driving past there far more frequently pre-lockdown.

As for the original story of 200 cars sitting idle because they can't train staff on how to use them, bollocks. If companies like iHasco can do electronic online training professionally, how hard is it to whip up a PowerPoint style training guide, or a training video demonstrating how to plug in and use the car. They don't need individual face to face training if they have a good training video.

If the staff have not needed to use cars during this time of lockdowns then fair enough. But if they have continued to drive other non-EV cars for their work purely because they can't get the "training" they need to use the EV's then that's piss poor I'm afraid, and the council needed to think more out of the box.

Good luck to those batteries if they've all been left at 100% charge for 2 years...

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I drive past those council Zoe's in Hamilton on a semi-regular basis - while I'm sure Covid can't have helped, the Zoe's were there sitting idle before the first lockdown as well. They've been there since at least 2019 as far as I can remember, as I was driving past there far more frequently pre-lockdown.

As for the original story of 200 cars sitting idle because they can't train staff on how to use them, bollocks. If companies like iHasco can do electronic online training professionally, how hard is it to whip up a PowerPoint style training guide, or a training video demonstrating how to plug in and use the car. They don't need individual face to face training if they have a good training video.

If the staff have not needed to use cars during this time of lockdowns then fair enough. But if they have continued to drive other non-EV cars for their work purely because they can't get the "training" they need to use the EV's then that's piss poor I'm afraid, and the council needed to think more out of the box.

Good luck to those batteries if they've all been left at 100% charge for 2 years...
Another smartar£e reply?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My response was a quick tongue in cheek one. I imagine training would include a fair bit on charging the things, which is very different to most domestic users' experiences of "go to nearest petrol station, fill up, pay and go".

Also, tbf, when we test drove our car the dealer did warn us about acceleration and sticking to the speed limit! I wonder how many tickets they had to forward 😉 so that's also worth warning people about.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Another smartar£e reply?
No, just a dose of realism. Councils aren't special snowflakes during Covid, everyone has had to think outside the box and adapt.

We've all had to change the way we work in 2020/2021. I work in the Education sector and we've had to massively change the way we operate and pivot on a dime from face to face teaching to 100% online teaching for large chunks of last year, (implemented with just a handful of people on site with 95% of staff working from home) and even now face to face is back there are still massive changes to the way schooling is run to keep people safe and stay in line with current guidance. But we did it because we have to, and we did whatever was needed to get it done.

Meanwhile my local councils response to covid last year was to stop collecting most of our bins including food waste for nearly 6 weeks... Yeah that was fun... Then before they started collecting residential bins again they closed the local recycling centres for 4 months straight despite them arguably being known to be "safe" outdoor environments by that time. They kept taking our money every month of course, because, why wouldn't you keep taking money for services not rendered ? ;)

The truth is some of these councils are just typical public sector organisations that have "too hard" trays that are much taller than their outbox trays. They're happy to keep taking council tax, point and say "Look, Covid!" when private organisations and companies are busting their arse to stay alive and do whatever they need to to make things happen in difficult times.

Leaving 200-300 cars unused purely because they couldn't do one on one in car training when they could have made up some training materials and emailed them to staff is just lazy. What a huge waste of assets and capital having all those cars sitting around.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
My response was a quick tongue in cheek one. I imagine training would include a fair bit on charging the things, which is very different to most domestic users' experiences of "go to nearest petrol station, fill up, pay and go".

Also, tbf, when we test drove our car the dealer did warn us about acceleration and sticking to the speed limit! I wonder how many tickets they had to forward 😉 so that's also worth warning people about.
The only training needed to "drive" an electric car is how and where to charge them - and in the case of a fleet of cars like this, the council probably has charging cards that they would issue staff. (hopefully not Chargeplace Scotland :ROFLMAO: )

Last time I checked, RFID/charging cards could be posted in envelopes or put safely in staff pigeon holes without face to face contact. All staff would have email accounts and probably have access to an intranet portal of some kind where online training materials could be provided. Hell, you could even just upload an unlisted video on Youtube and put a link in an email. It's really not hard!

In my opinion printed or email/video training materials that can be kept for future reference are likely to be better absorbed and remembered than a quick one on one session anyway. Some people will forget everything they were told as soon as they leave that one on one training session but if they have a printed "idiots guide to charging your car" in the car with them to refer to if they forget they'll be much better off until it becomes second nature.

There's really nothing in a face to face "training session" to use an electric car that couldn't be done just as well in a good video supported with a printed cheat sheet.

Since Covid we don't do any face to face training anymore for things like fire safety etc, it's all handled online using companies like iHasco who have professionally produced training videos on many topics complete with an exam you sit at the end of the video.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I sincerely doubt that that the council held ALL vehicles in a car park during (and after) the lockdown. In other words: a great number of the trips that were done around town in ordinary ICE vehicles or vans could have been done with the EVs they had readily available, if only they had taken the effort of providing some online training. Their priorities clearly have not been 'let's contribute to the fight against global warming and to cleaner air in the city'. It's anyone's guess as to what the real motivations were.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I’ve a friend who works in Hull City Council and they have a few Leafs. Apparently they are very much in demand and are snapped up before any other pool cars for journeys.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts