Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is willing to try this themselves, I would be interested ...
Twice now in one week these 2 glitches have happened

a) 10pm - plug car in to granny brick at home
10:10 - check via app, car says it's charging
- on purpose then press stop charging and await confirmation. Check by hand by refreshing status of app.
- app says connected but now as I want, says it is not charging.
Go to bed
In the morning about to manually trigger prewarm and I notice the car battery % is higher than it was at 10pm, and the app says the car is currently charging. Doesn't appear to have been the whole time since I last checked, but several % has gone in via the granny. Press stop charging as I don't want/need the battery charged up.
Trigger pre warm, takes several goes to get both wing mirrors and interior to go warming, but they do (and it's great ! )

b) On being smug as I get in to the snug car I then notice on the in car main display, the 3 widgets on the home screen, the middle one has changed to the clock.
I changed it back and it did it again the second time I plugged the car in overnight and attempted to stop it charging during the night.

Game plan tonight is to set the max charge limit to a value below that of the car battery and see if that stops it drinking when I don't want it to. On the car display the middle one was climate that was being changed to clock so I have swapped its place to see if the middle again is changed or the climate widget is changed.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(b) did it again - and this time I only plugged the car in at 6am so it's not a midnight thing.
Coming an hour or so later to drive it, yet again after using the start heating button on the app remote screen, the in car main display widget climate icon is replaced with the clock one. So it's done this in all 3 widget positions.

Also I found that whilst I can stop charging remotely, if I then start pre heat it also starts charging the car, and , I can't then stop charging remotely, that request fails with an error.
So tonight will try it with an in car lower charge limit set. What a phaff.

I just want to preheat the car, but not charge it. And, not have it change things around on the dash display.
I'd also like to preheat without it plugged in, but that's another thread.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If the pre-condition use is anything like the Ampera then I'm not surprised -
Car not plugged in - use traction battery to pre-condition.
Car plugged in, not charging - use traction battery and mains to pre-condition, keep charging once up to temperature to bring the battery back to its starting level. The Amp heats its battery and the cabin.
I believe this is done in the Ampera case because the Pre-condition takes 3-6kW, more than the mains supply even on a WallBox and the car is then bringing the battery back to where it started. You can not stop this top-up except by unplugging the car.

It sounds very similar :)

·
Super Moderator
7,555 Posts
Try setting a charging schedule for off peak hours only, and put the off peak hours as starting after you intend to disconnect.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try setting a charging schedule for off peak hours only, and put the off peak hours as starting after you intend to disconnect.
Thankyou I'll try that idea

Reactions: Edd Beesley

·
Registered
Kona64
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to work out the off peak settings but got confused and decided to set the max charge limit on AC to 60%.
At 6:45am I plugged the car in , and thought it would charge for around 5mins or so to reach that point.
I stabbed the phone app to manually start preheat thinking that will then run for about 30mins, matching for when I want to leave.

Karma then kicked in, and lo , 2mins later the app gives me a notify that in 5minutes climate functions would not be available due to charging status. And after those 5minutes as it reached 60% battery and stopped heating the car up.

I now don't know what happens if the car is at 99% with a 100% [ or lower] charge limit and I do this process.
I'm sure there is a way to do what I'd like, I've just not yet found it.
I am going to retry Edds' idea.

The reasons I want to do it on demand is once twice a month I have a random overnight callout, and in the depths of winter with a thick frost I want to have the car window clearing whilst I get dressed, top off the kit bag and fill the coffee flask. Plus those morning commutes when a passenger suddenly does the "oh yes I need to be in early today, can we leave a lot earlier" .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts