Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware of a reputable published Global Sales data of only pure BEV by Automaker Group, updated monthly / quarterly , annually.

My main purpose is "disagreements" on non speakev forums i frequent where the world and the change to BEV comes up a fair bit. , on how "everyone is coming for Tesla" ...............in 2023 , this will have 50 models, that will have 30 models, blah blah blah, Toyota will have solid state batteries next year. And with refusal to provide figures or acknowledge Tesla planned Gigafactories, battery production, Gigapress, cost reductions and volume ramps in the next few years.

All you get is VW Europe ID3 , Tesla killer, and when you ask how many BEV VW sold in China and USA in 2020 and before, silence. Also the refusal to acknowledge for 2021 UK are not in the EU for sales figures. Just getting sick of it and want Global updated data, rather than argue with "Vapourware" in 2-3 years time.

There is also the refusal to acknowledge the massive problems and costs legacy ICE have swapping for ICE / PHEV to pure BEV sales, like its just a cost free swap the factory fit changeover, and everyone can afford the €70b VW are putting into the process.

So i just want to find good regular updated figures to let them do the talking. We all know Tesla sold 500k BEV in 2020 (okay, bar 320). What i would like is something like.

TESLA GLOBAL BEV sales 2020 500k
VW Group Global BEV sales 2020 ?? 350k
Renault
Nissan
PSA
Toyota
Honda
Daimler
BMW
GM
FORD
Chinese makers MG , NIO , BDY

Anyone know of any good publications, data sources, investment research that collates all this, even if subscription ./ paid maybe?

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well done, have bookmarked that. Although if VW to not halt BEV sales by Q3 2021 due to reaching EU/UK/USA fleet emissions targets, and hold back all Q4 sales into Q1 2022, that there is a small possibility they may sell more BEV globally in 2021 than Tesla. But this will be a one off , as by 2022 Tesla will have China and Berlin and Freemont going full chat, with maybe Texas spitting out some Cybertrucks too?

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
647 Posts
Well we know Tesla nearly doubled its efforts in December alone to get to nearly 500K. I think the market is still battery constrained and will be for the next ten years, you can see this during the Pandemic where ICE sales faltered but BEV sales increased as they cannot get enough battery's to satisfy demand but there are more than enough ICE cars but people had to put off their buying decisions. The other factor is people may have already decided their next car will be an EV and will hang on to their old ICE longer until there is a BEV that meets their price requirements. Interesting times...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well we know Tesla nearly doubled its efforts in December alone to get to nearly 500K. I think the market is still battery constrained and will be for the next ten years, you can see this during the Pandemic where ICE sales faltered but BEV sales increased as they cannot get enough battery's to satisfy demand but there are more than enough ICE cars but people had to put off their buying decisions.
I'd agree that batteries are the constraint but it seems to be shifting from volume to pricing. Up until a year or so ago the constraints were clearly volume, people were queuing up to buy EVs with long waiting lists for most models. But now a quick check on Autotrader shows most EV models are available from stock across the country, indeed some models seem to be piling up at the dealers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts