Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped off several weeks ago and the unit wouldn't lock into the Kona due to cracked and broken connectors.
Stopped there today and they are still knackered. Zap Map keeps saying that people have successfully charged very recently... heaven knows how.
If this was a petrol pump nozzle then it would be fixed or someone in authority would be having dicky fit. Ecotricity should hang there heads in shame

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
429 Posts
I wonder if chargers should have thick rubber matting on the ground covering all points where a connector could be dropped. I'm sure that kind of damage happens from dropping on to concrete or hard tarmac. The cables are heavy and inflexible and I don't think it's purely carelessness on the part of users.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if chargers should have thick rubber matting on the ground covering all points where a connector could be dropped. I'm sure that kind of damage happens from dropping on to concrete or hard tarmac. The cables are heavy and inflexible and I don't think it's purely carelessness on the part of users.
A proper holder would help.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I stopped at the south bound side last week but the CCS charger was in some sort of emergency stop recovery loop, followed the instructions on screen twice but couldn't get it working, there where 3 or 4 CCS equipped cars parked near the charger so obviously not the only person to have no luck. When we came back from the services there was a blue e-Soul charging so it must have finally recovered.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,189 Posts
That‘s an Ecotricty/EH unit, it’s a dead charger walking.

When the Gridserve upgrade happens shortly it will be swapped out entirely.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Nope, they are just metal hangers/rests to place the connector on, they don't secure the connector from sliding/falling off. Se pic View attachment 149321
No. That's a hanger for the excess cabling. The connector goes in the holder (black bit as seen at the bottom right of your photo)

They aren't the most secure holders admittedly but they do work if you make a bit of an effort to hook the cable in place first on that hanger. See below pic for how it should be.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
No. That's a hanger for the excess cabling. The connector goes in the holder (black bit as seen at the bottom right of your photo)
And that's why connectors get damaged, because some people don't know how to stow them properly. Mentioning no names...

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to "Users of Gloucester Services chargers in dire need of education" :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

They aren't the most secure holders admittedly but they do work if you make a bit of an effort to hook the cable in place first on that hanger. See below pic for how it should be.

View attachment 149323
Your photo is of a newer type. As you can see from my photo of the type of charger at Gloucester Services , there's no proper secure holder for any connector on either side.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
In your picture, there is perfectly secure stowage for the cables, and the unused cable on the right is correctly stowed.

Gloucester Services Northbound:

(I see what you mean about the nearer charger - it seems to have a different stowage system to the norm, but there is still a dedicated holster for the connector with a cable tidy above it.)

Gloucester Services Southbound:

In this image, the left hand charger has the older-type holster, but the last user has left the cable trailing without using the cable tidy provided. Like I said in my earlier post, it's user education that is wanting, and the cables are going to get damaged if misused like this.

In neither can I see the building your pic shows right behind, unless that was built since the Streetview image was taken in 2018.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Your photo is of a newer type
Actually the other way around. The unit you're using there is the CCS model which was made later. The unit to the right in that photo is the AC and Chademo original unit as I originally pictured.

The holder on the newer model you're using there is actually slightly better than the original, in my opinion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually the other way around. The unit you're using there is the CCS model which was made later. The unit to the right in that photo is the AC and Chademo original unit as I originally pictured.

The holder on the newer model you're using there is actually slightly better than the original, in my opinion.
I was referring to the charger nearest the camera being of the newer type, the charger being used in the background is the older type AND this older version is the type fitted at Gloucester Services. The holder such as it is, is merely a metal 'rest' unlike more modern units that have a proper holder which holds onto the connector safely the same as ice petrol pump nozzles, and that was the whole point of my post.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Gridserve's contractors have been at Tebay today ripping out the old DBT units ready for replacements, so it seems they've got as far as some of Westmorland's sites, so perhaps Gloucester will be soon, having spent the last few months concentrating on Extra, IKEA, Moto, and Roadchef managed sites.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts