Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
GM foreshadowed the Ampera's demise in spring 2013, when then-Vice Chairman Steve Girsky, who remains a GM director, expressed frustration about the car's lukewarm reception in Europe.

"All the governments in Europe said, 'We want EVs, we want EVs,'" Girsky said on the sidelines of the Geneva auto show that year. "We show up with one, and where is everybody?"
So it's the government's who were going to buy them, was it?

Maybe the fact that almost nobody knows what an Ampera is or where they can buy one doesn't help?

GM need to look at BMW and Co. on how to sell plugin electric cars, a big factor would be to show commitment to the public and market them like you mean it.

That is if they're actually interested in making it work?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Totally agree Paul and I've said so in previous threads. GM's marketing has been pitiful. For a 'game changing' vehicle that gets such great media praise and won an award in 2012 it's a real shame.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I had a suspicion a gen 2 was on the horizon, with the great stock sell off that just happened.. I'd like a bigger battery and a rapid charge, in a gen 2. but now if it's not coming to europe.. you know what I think I'm quiet relieved I'll never be tempted to buy a vauxhall again. That's a dealer network I'll be glad to get rid of!

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
This is also surely a bit of a blow, or a bit of further confusion, for those in the UK / Europe who own Volts and hoped that Ampera dealerships may be able to look after them in the future?

This sort of rumour wont help sell remaining stock or second hand sales either. Just a big PITA for all concerned I imagine.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Well this ain't going to have a good effect on residuals is it? Unless it becomes an 'instant classic' :(
Certainly reduces my consonance with my (recent) purchase.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've noticed that their Twitter has gone increasingly quiet on Ampera. They favorite my tweets but don't retweet them.

Interesting they do this just as the Germans and Mitsubishi go all out on PHEV.

I heard many dealer horror stories from indifference to outright obstructionism.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The least we can hope is that other manufacturers increase the awareness of, and demand for PHEVs across the board. For me, they are the perfect stopgap until the technology and infrastructure are viable....and more practical for 80% of the population.

Reactions: derekb

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
That's a real shame. I really liked the look of the Ampera, but a combination of shoddy/disinterested dealers and high prices put me off (as did the fact that it only had 4 seats, but I could have lived with that at the right price).

Reactions: Olivier

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
That's a real shame. I really liked the look of the Ampera, but a combination of shoddy/disinterested dealers and high prices put me off (as did the fact that it only had 4 seats, but I could have lived with that at the right price).
My thoughts exactly. The highest priced car in the showroom first time I test drove it, but noone knew where the key was when I arrived for my appointment :confused:

·
Militant EV driver!
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to say that I really like the car but recent dealer experience means I'd probably only keep it until I can get a Tesla Model 3 anyway.

I had a hunch when sub 25k ones appeared that this was coming.

They did advertise widely to start with but a complaint to the ASA allegedly by an employee of a competitor killed that off. Then the Ampera product manager from Vauxhall left. Doesn't explain the numbers from the rest of Europe though.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
£250/month with a £5000 deposit or £22600 cash?

I pay £255/month having put down £800 deposit on a £16500 cash price (with a few options) on my Leaf (and that's om 18000 miles/year)

When I was looking, the local dealer wanted over £450/month and said that "If I didn't want to pay a premium for new technology I should consider a diesel Astra".

Vauxhall keep advertising their 0% Flexible Finance "on every car" but the Ampera is always excluded. I realise they lose money on them, but presumably that's because they sell so few... and they sell so few because... well, I'm sure you get the idea! :)

(Edit: added mileage)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Unfortunately I'm the kind of person that changes their car far too regularly. If I was now thinking with a purely financial head on, I'd keep this car until I reach 100,000 miles at which point it will be worth nothing. But with my current driving habits, I'll have saved loads in fuel...and probably cost Vauxhall a fortune on the lifetime warranty.

Wonder what Gok Wan (and that footballer) have to say about it.

Reactions: hopbackguy

·
Registered
302 Posts
Genuinely believe that the sales figures would be completely different if it was just another variant of the Vauxhall Insignia ... I have always said this.

For me, the battle has not been getting people to buy EV's/Hybrids/EREV's.... the battle is getting people to even consider them as an option.

make it an Hybrid of an existing Model, half the job has already been done... see the success of the Outlander PHEV.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts