Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I've received a briefing document from Vauxhall on the Ampera power train, its 11 pages and reasonably technical but not confusing to the casual observer. Its a pdf, does anyone know how I can lodge a pdf as a reference for others?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
If it's not too big you can upload it here, otherwise as an attachment (upload a file, down below the text box for replies). Otherwise you could use Dropbox, Google Drive etc and share it that way?

·
Registered
625 Posts
May 2011?? !

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That link worked for me.

I think I have seen it before but a good primer just the same :) Thx

As for 2011... has anything changed much since? I suspect not much has so probably still valid :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
That link worked for me.

As for 2011... has anything changed much since? I suspect not much has so probably still valid :)
True, see my other post from Green Car reports today speculating about the 2015/16 volt....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My email was from Ian Allen, Manager for Regulatory affairs UK. I got the impression that the Volt/Ampera was a stand alone project, if they take the power train forward then its likely to be into other types of platform, like supermini, SUV etc a bit like Toyota/Lexus have done. Ian was particularly excited about connectivity in future models and how they will interact with our smartphones etc, they hope to leapfrog Nissan in this respect, though I have very little experience of what Nissan offer. I think the take up of the Volt/Ampera will influence their strategy and since I got my ampera out of a field near luton where it had been for some time it could be that developmentally its a dead end. The influence of the high end offerings from McLaren Porsche and Tesla and the publicity they get is more likely to affect buying habits than weekly spreadsheets of energy usage. What was also apparent was that the Intellectual property relating to the Volt/Ampera is lodged firmly in the USA and owned by GM USA, and Luton and their counterparts in Opel have very little recourse to it other than the published patent paperwork. When I asked for duty cycle information of the engine and generator components to do some maths on energy harvesting for instance they shook their heads and said that no one at Luton is privy to this info, though he did say that GPS integrated cycling of the power train for specific destinations was a good idea. J

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If they could just get a viable SatNav that is useable it would be a start!

I have to say that my confidence in GM and software is at a low level given my experience with the Ampera. They will need to take a leaf (no pun intended) out of BMW's book before they will get anywhay close to impressing anyone IMO. GM software on the current Ampera is not good I am sorry to say :(

At least they are looking to develop and improve. All I can do is hope it is a sea-change and not a development based on what is there today.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think the take up of the Volt/Ampera will influence their strategy and since I got my ampera out of a field near luton where it had been for some time it could be that developmentally its a dead end.
The US already has the next generation of the Voltec Powertrain in the Cadillac ELR, though I don't think it'll make it to Europe as a Cadillac. I understand the Vauxhall/Opel Monza may be the next European GM with the Voltec system.

I think the Ampera has been very successful (for those that have sold, even the second hand price is better than last year!) but I think buyers are still nervous about the technology, and don't like the price. I think once buyers realise EV does not mean an wheazy ecobox (with help from McLaren, Porsche and Tesla) maybe it'll take off a bit more. Have to remember that the Prius didn't sell many in its first few years either but 10 years on it sells well.

It's often been said in this forum that much more could be made of GPS, from little things like not telling you you are low on fuel if you are within battery range of home, to reserving battery on programmed GPS routes and preferencing the engine for earlier motorway sections to reserve EV power for later urban use.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,495 Posts
That link worked for me.

Vauxhall website has the 2014 Infotainment Manual and it looks as though the systems is now based on Apps downloaded through your connected Phone. Might be a way to get decent Navigation on the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts