Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

GMEV is transitioning to a new service provided by Amey PLC as of Monday 22nd June and moving through the summer as part of a full refresh. The kit being used will be Swarco. It will also remain free to use until the autumn. You can also use your current CYC card to activate the new chargers until that time.

All details are on GMEV.co.uk and I’m happy to answer any questions you may have :)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I'm just wondering after the consultations that occured how the prices were settled upon and how the membership for locals is affected?
Do those who live locally, and have no access to at home charging get a free membership?
Do those who have just paid their cyc membership get a discount?

Is there really such a need to start ripping out the units that are working and fine and increasing cost?

Would it not be better to roll out more slowly and just replace units as they fail?

Are all the old units that are coming out to be resold to help add money to the coffers?

Are taxi drivers going to pay the same rate and be limited to a 30minute charge cycle on rapids instead of the 1hr+ sessions most have? This severely screws up the one at the uni as I have been 2nd I line and seen them be hogged like this.

Will the one at Piccadilly be ripped out or made available to EV drivers as I've only ever once seen a bus plugged into it?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Yes it's the Greater Manchester (and some surrounding areas) E V network.

Looks to me likes it's basically been sold off 😬

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,183 Posts
Amey are the ones that go around failing to mend potholes. I dread to think what a mess they'll make as a charging provider :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just wondering after the consultations that occured how the prices were settled upon and how the membership for locals is affected? The prices are just a ceiling price that were agreed with the GMCA but we need to get approval for a formal membership price that will be reduced for members.
Do those who live locally, and have no access to at home charging get a free membership? Membership will be free for everyone. We’ve insisted on that.

Do those who have just paid their cyc membership get a discount? The agreement for payment is with CYC and we aren’t able to issue any refunds through TFGM. There are obviously wider benefits of keeping your CYC membership long term and it will be able to be used through the refresh, probably until Sept/October time.

Is there really such a need to start ripping out the units that are working and fine and increasing cost? They are falling down to be honest and costing us alot in maintenance. They aren’t smart chargers either so they do need an upgrade.

Would it not be better to roll out more slowly and just replace units as they fail? see above. They are 6 years old now.

Are all the old units that are coming out to be resold to help add money to the coffers? We will of course recycle them in the best way possible.

Are taxi drivers going to pay the same rate and be limited to a 30minute charge cycle on rapids instead of the 1hr+ sessions most have? This severely screws up the one at the uni as I have been 2nd I line and seen them be hogged like this. The one at the Uni has been removed due to them doing some building work and we need to try and relocate it. That being said, we have money for 24 new rapids to be installed across GM (including at MMU somewhere). There is also money for 30 new taxi-only rapids which will be landing in the new year so that should free up them using the other rapids.

Will the one at Piccadilly be ripped out or made available to EV drivers as I've only ever once seen a bus plugged into it? Unfortunately not, cars can’t access that area anyway. TFGM have money for new electric busses so it will be be used more.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it's the Greater Manchester (and some surrounding areas) E V network.

Looks to me likes it's basically been sold off 😬
We will still own the infrastructure that’s funded with public money so we will be managing Amey on this. They also have the freedom to install their own infrastructure and banner it under the same brand.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amey are the ones that go around failing to mend potholes. I dread to think what a mess they'll make as a charging provider :rolleyes:
Well this is new territory for all and we do have some quite stringent repair times in the SLA. The kit is Swarco and very reliable so hopefully we can make it work

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well TFGM will provide the pricing for the public funded infrastructure so that’s for 118 duel headed 7kw units and 24 rapids coming in September plus anything we may get through the clean air plan. Amey can provide the pricing for their own infrastructure but that’s not planned anytime soon. Access will be through a white labelled version of the e-connect app so I don’t envisage any issues but time will tell 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,183 Posts
Well TFGM will provide the pricing for the public funded infrastructure so that’s for 118 duel headed 7kw units and 24 rapids coming in September plus anything we may get through the clean air plan. Amey can provide the pricing for their own infrastructure but that’s not planned anytime soon. Access will be through a white labelled version of the e-connect app so I don’t envisage any issues but time will tell 👍🏻

There's the first mistake. Using an app! WE HATE APPS. How many times do charging companies have to be told this. Contactless cards including Apple and Android pay for payment.

The requirements for new rapids potentially exclude app only payment as well under infrastructure bill that was passed a few years ago.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's the first mistake. Using an app! WE HATE APPS. How many times do charging companies have to be told this. Contactless cards including Apple and Android pay for payment.

The requirements for new rapids potentially exclude app only payment as well under infrastructure bill that was passed a few years ago.
I meant for 7kw chargers, contactless payment isn’t available for those on any units and GMEV is predominately a 7kw network, all rapids will be contactless, RF ID card or app as they are new units and have to be. I’m an EV driver myself and have been for 5 and a half years so I’m trying to impart some wisdom! The technology just isn’t available on 7kw units yet.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,183 Posts
If you can find a way of including contactless payment even on 7kw units that would help (y)

Make sure any app is tested properly to make sure new signs up work and that you can change your password or do a forgotten password link. One of the other new providers I signed up with hadn't even managed that. That's why I'm a bit :rolleyes: about another entrant into the charging world :)

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you can find a way of including contactless payment even on 7kw units that would help (y)

Make sure any app is tested properly to make sure new signs up work and that you can change your password or do a forgotten password link. One of the other new providers I signed up with hadn't even managed that. That's why I'm a bit :rolleyes: about another entrant into the charging world :)
The units just aren’t available yet, in any of the providers who tendered. That’s really why we knew membership should stay free so you can keep the RF card in your car (yes I hate them too but they are reliable!) and the app just in case. I’ve got a test view of the app so I will check that forgotten password bit and confirm! I’m with you though about a new provider but they level of investment they intend to bring over the next 5-10 years was so important to us. CYC haven’t brought anything new for 6 years in GM and we couldn’t let that happen again.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I look forward to having a public charger back in Altrincham (I hope!) (the Podpoints at Tesco work, but the two hour max is restrictive)
Hi, we do need to address this issue and I will pick it up and come back to you if that’s okay? The council obviously wanted them removed for the car park work but I’m not entirely sure if they will be reinstated or put somewhere else.
If you get a chance, could you drop an email outlining that to [email protected] and it will give me a little extra nudge?
Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, we do need to address this issue and I will pick it up and come back to you if that’s okay? The council obviously wanted them removed for the car park work but I’m not entirely sure if they will be reinstated or put somewhere else.
If you get a chance, could you drop an email outlining that to [email protected] and it will give me a little extra nudge?
Thanks!
I will do - after taking the i3 to Tesco for some shopping:)

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
We will still own the infrastructure that’s funded with public money so we will be managing Amey on this. They also have the freedom to install their own infrastructure and banner it under the same brand.

Does this mean that there will be more 7kw posts and the idea for lots of rapids is finally being canned considering how many rapids there already are around now?

As above I wish I could share your enthusiasm on Amey but the experience in other areas with them leaves me a bit more than cautious.

I specifically mean the Trafford centre here as well as here is no real need for a rapid there considering how many others are close by and probably even cheaper as well (Lidl)

Do we now stand a chance of service credits if we get to points and can't charge as Amey haven't repaired it 😎🤣🤣 I know that's fantasy but it's a contract for supply I suppose and would normally have such penalty clauses in it.

Why couldn't GMEV build their own network out with bought in kit and keep the staff in house, the app/admin in house and keep it simple?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
It's not just about repair times. It's about access and pricing too.
Exactly this, again as local rate paying residents I feel we are going to suffer.
Yes it's been free for a while but the taxi drivers hogging the rapids haven't helped and the amount of times you see the same cars on the same units must be sucking thru a ton of electric.
If the rates were even just 5p for fast charges and 23p for rapids the abuse of the network wouldn't have happened.

The new pricing will push the network the other way now for sure.

1 - 20 of 358 Posts