Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 260 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I mean, it’s a clash of brands (Stagecoach/Amey/TFGM), I wouldn’t even want to walk down that road but certainly some kind of ‘green’ bay makes sense and I’ll put it to the team next week. Thanks!
There’s only 2 main colours, either green or blue, given what I’ve seen around the country. Anything that stands out really. It’s more for awareness (deterrent).
I’m conscious we’re going to start giving you a wish list.... depending on where a chargepoint is located on a car park, perhaps consider a tall (7ft) signpost that can be seen beyond parked cars. Not all chargepoints are at car park entrances.

Reactions: alegar

·
Registered
ZE40 R110 EVEZY referral 8bbd0
110 Posts
I mean, it’s a clash of brands (Stagecoach/Amey/TFGM), I wouldn’t even want to walk down that road but certainly some kind of ‘green’ bay makes sense and I’ll put it to the team next week. Thanks!
Just by being here listening to the actual users you are miles ahead of most of the brands/providers anyway, which I (and I’m sure all of us) immensely appreciate so thanks for that Jay.
I cannot imagine the painful job it must be putting so many involved parties in agreement, however it is very much needed clearer signalling and indication of EV only bays, if parking fees apply, time limits etc

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
There’s only 2 main colours, either green or blue, given what I’ve seen around the country. Anything that stands out really. It’s more for awareness (deterrent).
I’m conscious we’re going to start giving you a wish list.... depending on where a chargepoint is located on a car park, perhaps consider a tall (7ft) signpost that can be seen beyond parked cars. Not all chargepoints are at car park entrances.
Well that’s what standards are hey? Things that should be being considered to make these places reliable, safe, inclusive and visible! I’ll certainly make these suggestions and provide some feedback once we agree.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Just by being here listening to the actual users you are miles ahead of most of the brands/providers anyway, which I (and I’m sure all of us) immensely appreciate so thanks for that Jay.
I cannot imagine the painful job it must be putting so many involved parties in agreement, however it is very much needed clearer signalling and indication of EV only bays, if parking fees apply, time limits etc
Well this is really kind and it’s nice to know it’s appreciated! Thank you!
At the end of the day, I drive an EV and have done for 6 years, I know the issues but this is an evolving situation and I’m keen to pass on learnings. I don’t rely on the infrastructure but many here do and it’s useless if we don’t listen. This seemed to be the best place to come because BPC have kept our customer data and we have no access to them. Be assured, all this gets fed back weekly to the GM EV board 👍🏻

·
Registered
67 Posts
A bit disappointed to see that the space is only a standard size and not painted green and EV marked.
Almost certain to get ICE’D.
Tight spaces are out of bounds to anybody who has any disability issues.
If you look at zapmap you'll see a picture on regent rd of an ice being given a ticket in a charging bay- ICEing will continue until this is treated the same way as any other parking violation

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
If you look at zapmap you'll see a picture on regent rd of an ice being given a ticket in a charging bay- ICEing will continue until this is treated the same way as any other parking violation
I totally agree.
EV bays should be clearly identified in a bright colour and marked for EV cars only.
A penalty notice should also be in place, warning of the fine imposed for incorrect use of the car parking space.
Ideally, EV bays should be well away from the normal parking bays and a little wider than a standard space's.
I am sure that EV's are purchased by families with small children and also owners who are disabled or have mobility issues.
Super markets etc provide these type of wider parking facilities now for the current ICE drivers, why not follow the same route for EV parking bays ?.
My local ASDA has a very strict policy on any cars that are incorrectly parked in disabled spaces, that do NOT display a blue badge.
BOOM - They issue a fine !.
EV bays should be policed in the same way I think ?.
If the charging post is located close to the front of the shop, then the old "I was only popping in for a pint of milk brigade" are going to try it on ALL of the time !.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
I totally agree.
EV bays should be clearly identified in a bright colour and marked for EV cars only.
A penalty notice should also be in place, warning of the fine imposed for incorrect use of the car parking space.
Ideally, EV bays should be well away from the normal parking bays and a little wider than a standard space's.
I am sure that EV's are purchased by families with small children and also owners who are disabled or have mobility issues.
Super markets etc provide these type of wider parking facilities now for the current ICE drivers, why not follow the same route for EV parking bays ?.
My local ASDA has a very strict policy on any cars that are incorrectly parked in disabled spaces, that do NOT display a blue badge.
BOOM - They issue a fine !.
EV bays should be policed in the same way I think ?.
If the charging post is located close to the front of the shop, then the old "I was only popping in for a pint of milk brigade" are going to try it on ALL of the time !.
While I do agree, the practicalities are that it’s hard to patrol those bays regularly.
Taking the regent road example, there is an underlying issue with people parking in that location and travelling into town so it’s easy pickings for traffic wardens which, in turn, lines the pockets of the company who run the car park.
In the life of charging, they are usually on public authority land where the LA are actually grateful for ANY parking income. They’re not too concerned with the violations and don’t have the resource to patrol the car parks day in, day out for a potential £30/£60 fine. Obviously the reason for sticking them at the front is visibility and encouragement that you will be ‘rewarded’ for choosing a green vehicle but that obviously tempts in the disabled bay/parent&child bay people to risk it.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110 EVEZY referral 8bbd0
110 Posts
While I do agree, the practicalities are that it’s hard to patrol those bays regularly.
Taking the regent road example, there is an underlying issue with people parking in that location and travelling into town so it’s easy pickings for traffic wardens which, in turn, lines the pockets of the company who run the car park.
In the life of charging, they are usually on public authority land where the LA are actually grateful for ANY parking income. They’re not too concerned with the violations and don’t have the resource to patrol the car parks day in, day out for a potential £30/£60 fine. Obviously the reason for sticking them at the front is visibility and encouragement that you will be ‘rewarded’ for choosing a green vehicle but that obviously tempts in the disabled bay/parent&child bay people to risk it.
Is it really “rewarding” the position of the bay, or is it to save cost in the charging installation??

I stayed at a hotel last weekend which had the polar charger at the furthest point of the entire car park to the entrance of the building. This reduces the possibility of being ICEd, although a bit inconvenient when then car park is almost empty but you need to charge and carry your luggage.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Is it really “rewarding” the position of the bay, or is it to save cost in the charging installation??

I stayed at a hotel last weekend which had the polar charger at the furthest point of the entire car park to the entrance of the building. This reduces the possibility of being ICEd, although a bit inconvenient when then car park is almost empty but you need to charge and carry your luggage.
I think it is yes. If I was an employer putting them in then I’d be putting them right by the door and say ‘if you want to park here, you help us reduce our emissions’. Yes, you may want to save on 20m of cable too which doesn’t come cheap! The reality is people shouldn’t be selfish, doesn’t matter where in the car park it is, you’re a special type of person to do that.

·
Registered
436 Posts
So yesterday I had my first negative experience of a working unit.
It just kept showing Awaiting Authorisation on the screen after using RFID card. I gave up after 20 seconds, left car plugged in and walked away. Contacted helpline and hit through straight away so I went back to the unit.
I’m not sure if he reset it at his end but I was able to cancel the charge and restart it, immediately.

could be one off comms issue. Just thought I’d let you know here

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
So yesterday I had my first negative experience of a working unit.
It just kept showing Awaiting Authorisation on the screen after using RFID card. I gave up after 20 seconds, left car plugged in and walked away. Contacted helpline and hit through straight away so I went back to the unit.
I’m not sure if he reset it at his end but I was able to cancel the charge and restart it, immediately.

could be one off comms issue. Just thought I’d let you know here
Thanks for the update. If you called then i hope this has been picked up by Amey now. Are you able to tell me where this was please?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks for the update. If you called then i hope this has been picked up by Amey now. Are you able to tell me where this was please?
Foundry St, Bury BVFGM0001

Reactions: jaysmith08

·
Registered
67 Posts
Used Cheadle on Saturday. Worked fine. Only comment is that you have a to use your card several times in the process (I couldn't quite understand why the chademo cable was locked in the machine and you have to tap your card to release it).

I arrived just before a gentleman from Sheffield. I explained he would need to install the app as he didn't have a CYC/BE card. Then another local gentleman turned up in his Mitsubishi hybrid asking me if I would be long - told him there was a queue :sneaky:

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
811 Posts
It's there a reason why the charging post at Exchange Quay doesn't show up on the app? It certainly exists, because my car is charging there right now.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
It's there a reason why the charging post at Exchange Quay doesn't show up on the app? It certainly exists, because my car is charging there right now.
I've just reported this to Swarco now and will let you know once it's been updated. It certainly should be there!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Used Cheadle on Saturday. Worked fine. Only comment is that you have a to use your card several times in the process (I couldn't quite understand why the chademo cable was locked in the machine and you have to tap your card to release it).

I arrived just before a gentleman from Sheffield. I explained he would need to install the app as he didn't have a CYC/BE card. Then another local gentleman turned up in his Mitsubishi hybrid asking me if I would be long - told him there was a queue :sneaky:
This is an interesting one. I haven't managed to get out to a rapid yet but i will have to now and see what this process is like. I wonder if you use webpay, how do you have to unlock? Or is it an RFID issue.

The network is currently open to all cards so even a contactless bank card will activate a charge at the moment. They can also just use webpay, nobody HAS to download the app although we'd prefer you did :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve now charged at Cheadle a couple of times, and no card needed. Just unlocked the CCS from the app, plugged it in and away it went.
Last time was Saturday at about 1.30pm give or take, no queue and nobody waiting when I got back to the car 30 minutes later when I was at 90%.
Great to see them installed at convenient places, and working well.
Is there going to be anything put in place to stop people overstaying when charging has completed like the Tesla Superchargers?

241 - 260 of 282 Posts