Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

261 - 280 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
I’ve now charged at Cheadle a couple of times, and no card needed. Just unlocked the CCS from the app, plugged it in and away it went.
Last time was Saturday at about 1.30pm give or take, no queue and nobody waiting when I got back to the car 30 minutes later when I was at 90%.
Great to see them installed at convenient places, and working well.
Is there going to be anything put in place to stop people overstaying when charging has completed like the Tesla Superchargers?
Glad it all worked okay with no issues, this is obviously what we want. Interesting to see that the locking wasn’t required by the app so need to get the bottom of that one.
As for overstay, we have the potential to introduce but I think we’re going to introduce the tariff first and see if we develop any issues.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is an interesting one. I haven't managed to get out to a rapid yet but i will have to now and see what this process is like. I wonder if you use webpay, how do you have to unlock? Or is it an RFID issue.

The network is currently open to all cards so even a contactless bank card will activate a charge at the moment. They can also just use webpay, nobody HAS to download the app although we'd prefer you did :)
I used the CYC card if that helps...

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Please please instigate over stay charges on the rapids and limit the charges to no more than 1hr. Nothing worse than coming to a rapid to find an i3, Zoe, or tesla thats been there for hours and just sipping away without incurring anymore charges... Tesla, Polar and some CYC type sites can do it and i think it would be a big boon to help keep them free and available. especially where you can see if the connector is locked back into the unit as even if a car finishes on Type2/CCS, the connector isn't released so the unit is blocked then for others.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Please please instigate over stay charges on the rapids and limit the charges to no more than 1hr. Nothing worse than coming to a rapid to find an i3, Zoe, or tesla thats been there for hours and just sipping away without incurring anymore charges... Tesla, Polar and some CYC type sites can do it and i think it would be a big boon to help keep them free and available. especially where you can see if the connector is locked back into the unit as even if a car finishes on Type2/CCS, the connector isn't released so the unit is blocked then for others.
We're definitely exploring it. There is some red tape with the authorities that we need to get around first and understanding what that overstay mechanism looks like. It's hard to understand what the impact will be though for us as we only have 2 Rapid's in GM currently and we don't currently charge a tariff. The other thing is that the AC is quite slow (11-15kw) so we may need to allow some leeway into that. Appreciate the frustrations though!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
We're definitely exploring it. There is some red tape with the authorities that we need to get around first and understanding what that overstay mechanism looks like. It's hard to understand what the impact will be though for us as we only have 2 Rapid's in GM currently and we don't currently charge a tariff. The other thing is that the AC is quite slow (11-15kw) so we may need to allow some leeway into that. Appreciate the frustrations though!

For AC you could double it as at least it will help get people back on the road more than a normal charge post.
a popup in the app to say when you confirm the charge,

"Cost is 25p/kwh
Idle fees apply after 45mins at £5 per 15minute period until connector is locked back in the charger."

Something short and concise makes it easier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just at Cheadle. There was a transit van blocking one space presumably because of no markings. Tried my CYC card and it just works with one tap, so could have been user error last time :cool:. Chademo topped out at 40k for leaf 40.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Just at Cheadle. There was a transit van blocking one space presumably because of no markings. Tried my CYC card and it just works with one tap, so could have been user error last time :cool:. Chademo topped out at 40k for leaf 40.
You need to have a slightly warm pack and be starting from about 15% to get it to peak upto 46kw on those 40kwh packs :)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Does anyone else find the Be.Ev app automatically tries to route you to a chargepoint when you click on it? I just want to view info but it seems to do it straight away and maybe it's an option ice checked somewhere?
On another note is it possible that the app could show available power on units as it seems to default to 7kw available for both sockets on units when it's 7kw shared?

I really do hope overstay charges come in as places like the traffic centre desperately need it or more units installing and load balancing across them all so as cars fill up and taper down, others can get more power.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are there any plans to add marking at Cheadle otherwise this problem will reoccur.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Are there any plans to add marking at Cheadle otherwise this problem will reoccur.
Be assured, this is being addressed as quickly as possible, we’re just agreeing the design of this bay after feedback from the forum and it will be marked ASAP.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Does anyone else find the Be.Ev app automatically tries to route you to a chargepoint when you click on it? I just want to view info but it seems to do it straight away and maybe it's an option ice checked somewhere?
On another note is it possible that the app could show available power on units as it seems to default to 7kw available for both sockets on units when it's 7kw shared?

I really do hope overstay charges come in as places like the traffic centre desperately need it or more units installing and load balancing across them all so as cars fill up and taper down, others can get more power.
Happy to take feedback on the app and direct to Amey. I’m sure if this is a problem for users we’ll look to amend it. I’ll have a go myself too and see what it looks like on mine.
For the power thing, I’m keen to have this updated but before we do, I’m awaiting a report from Amey to see if it’s possible for us to upgrade those 3.5kw shared load sites to 7kw. That would be the preferable option for me at this point but if they can’t be upgraded then we’ll update the app accordingly. Same for the rapids.
As I said before, the overstay is complex for us, we have many host agreements with Local Authorities and Private Hosts like the TC that would need to be amended to reflect this change. Point being, currently it’s dealt with from a parking management point of view and that income would go directly to those parties. If we implement this method, we get the income and that’s not something that can change quickly. Hope that makes sense...I appreciate it’s importance but it’s not been addressed too hard at the moment as the network is free and we have no mechanism to even implement this charge currently.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
It may be good then to change signs at such places and maybe limit people to say 4hrs at the traffic centre as the screen can display the info showing how long a car has been plugged in can't it? This would allow them to enforce it themselves.
Traffic centre is just mental as most bags are taken up by 10am by staff at the centre I've found.

I'm fine with staff using destination charging but feel some dedicated staff spaces at 3kw somewhere would be much more beneficial for people driving there and hoping for a charge.

Or maybe a way of booking a point on the morning for say 50p and you gave to be there within an hour of the start of your chosen timeslot or it becomes free and no refund?

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
815 Posts
Just had a run up to Oldham Civic Centre to grab some food and a rapid charge, only to have the CCS refuse to charge. AC socket fine. Nearly Instavolt working fine. Disappointing for such a new charger, having had success with it before. Reported via email.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I noticed the Horwich charger was mostly 3kW yesterday and I'm at Trafford Hospital today and it is also 3kW...not sure what is going on!

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
815 Posts
Be-EV replied to me email and told me they've fixed the Oldham rapid. That's impressively quick! I'll give it another try at the weekend.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
It must be the power sharing in the units isn't balancing depending on the load being taken by the vehicles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It must be the power sharing in the units isn't balancing depending on the load being taken by the vehicles.
Isn't charging coming in October? I had a hospital visit to Trafford and must had added a handful of miles charging at 3kW. I was the only vehicle using the charger the whole time - I know this because I was sat in my car. I was just topping up this time, but would have had to seek an alternative if I had been low.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Isn't charging coming in October? I had a hospital visit to Trafford and must had added a handful of miles charging at 3kW. I was the only vehicle using the charger the whole time - I know this because I was sat in my car. I was just topping up this time, but would have had to seek an alternative if I had been low.

Has anyone else seen this?
Apologies, i've been on leave and i'm just picking up on some of these questions.

I followed up with Amey on this and the issue is that we've been having a few issues with chargers tripping at sites. These two have been identified as doing this so we have reduced the loads temporarily to try and resolve the issue. So far it has worked but we now need to discuss with both host locations if we can update the power available to these chargers. If that isn't feasible then we will ensure that it is clear on the app going forward that this is a 3kw site as opposed to a 7kw site. Of course, we would prefer them all to be 7kw but these are legacy sites and the main civil works took place in 2014 so we didn't know then what we know now in terms of charging speeds required.

I will keep an eye on this and update when i can!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Be-EV replied to me email and told me they've fixed the Oldham rapid. That's impressively quick! I'll give it another try at the weekend.
Sorry for the delay on this and i'm glad they resolved it so quickly. Amey said it must have been something very small as they just reset it and it seemed to work. Hope you have better luck next time and thanks for reporting it!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just a quick question. Will my Polar card still work at the INTU Trafford shopping centre ?, I often travel up from Telford to do a days shopping at the INTU centre and wonder if my card will still work beyond October. Thanks.

261 - 280 of 287 Posts