Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 158 Posts

Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
Discussion Starter #61
Topp Way is actually close to me and use it reasonably frequently at the weekends so may pop by and check it out on Saturday.

Just a comment on the provisional pricing from the GMEV website.
35p/kWh seems reasonable enough for the rapids but 25p/kWh seems a little on the high side for a 7kW charger.
Would it not be better to price the 7kW charge at around 15p/kWh so much closer to a domestic tariff so people are not put off using them.
I would imagine the last thing you want is to put in a load of new infrastructure only to see usage plummet and it sitting idle.

Perhaps a dual pricing structure would work, one for Greater Manchester residents who could say pay a small annual fee for an RFID that grants reduced pricing rates and one for non-residents with the higher rates as they aren鈥檛 contributing via local taxation etc?

So maybe something along the 25/35 for non-residents and say 15/25 for residents with an annual fee of say 拢20?

Just throwing some ideas out there for you 馃檪
Hi

Thanks for the feedback and i agree the 25p is quite high but it has been positioned as 'up to' currently as we work on our membership tariff. That will likely be the PAYG rate but it's still to be officially confirmed. Amey and TFGM have agreed not to charge a membership fee so we need to work out how that works with our costs and projected usage.

Registered
Just for information, our first post is in and live at Topps Lane NCP car park in Bolton. I went to check it today and it activated first time with my CYC membership card AND I tried it with a contactless bank card and that also activated it. 2 down, 116 to go! View attachment 131615
hi Jay, when will the locations for the 24 rapids be ready to share?/or is the info already in the public domain?

thanks

Registered
Hi

Thanks for the feedback and i agree the 25p is quite high but it has been positioned as 'up to' currently as we work on our membership tariff. That will likely be the PAYG rate but it's still to be officially confirmed. Amey and TFGM have agreed not to charge a membership fee so we need to work out how that works with our costs and projected usage.
At those prices i can see other sites being used a lot more heavily, Lidl for a start will take a beating(if the sites that are broken ever get repaired by podpoint...) but the 7kw posts... id rather pay a Polar subs and get the use of most of theirs for free than pay that much per kw.
Us flat dwellers with EV's are soon going to get priced back into ICE's at this rate :(

Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
Discussion Starter #64
At those prices i can see other sites being used a lot more heavily, Lidl for a start will take a beating(if the sites that are broken ever get repaired by podpoint...) but the 7kw posts... id rather pay a Polar subs and get the use of most of theirs for free than pay that much per kw.
Us flat dwellers with EV's are soon going to get priced back into ICE's at this rate :(
We certainly can鈥檛 allow it be free anymore. Companies like Lidl are obviously taking the hit on it as a loss leader to get you into the supermarket and we can鈥檛 compete with that but I can assure you, members won鈥檛 pay 25p or we might as well pack up and go home. We鈥檙e aware of that and have of course been considering the cost of ownership vs ICE. It has to have cost benefits at the moment otherwise it won鈥檛 work. Take the comment with POLAR though and maybe there will be a rethink if people believe that to be a more equitable model.

Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
Discussion Starter #65
hi Jay, when will the locations for the 24 rapids be ready to share?/or is the info already in the public domain?

thanks
Hi!

they鈥檙e not available currently as we need to do some site assessments on a couple of locations. I anticipate we鈥檒l have something to share in the next few weeks. Please sign up the newsletter on GMEV.co.uk if you haven鈥檛 already? They will be sent via that first. Thanks!

Registered
We certainly can鈥檛 allow it be free anymore. Companies like Lidl are obviously taking the hit on it as a loss leader to get you into the supermarket and we can鈥檛 compete with that but I can assure you, members won鈥檛 pay 25p or we might as well pack up and go home. We鈥檙e aware of that and have of course been considering the cost of ownership vs ICE. It has to have cost benefits at the moment otherwise it won鈥檛 work. Take the comment with POLAR though and maybe there will be a rethink if people believe that to be a more equitable model.
If there is going to be some form of membership anyway then I don鈥檛 see any issue with charging a small annual fee (Please not monthly!) for that to allow local residents to charge at preferential rates. Bear in mind most customers of the old scheme are already used to the 拢20 annual fee to CYC for the RFID.
That income then covers some of the cost of your admin/maintenance and hopefully allows you to charge local residents less than the PAYG rates, with the PAYG rates being just for folks travelling to/through the area who likely won鈥檛 mind too much paying the higher rate on a one-off basis.

Registered
Hi!

they鈥檙e not available currently as we need to do some site assessments on a couple of locations. I anticipate we鈥檒l have something to share in the next few weeks. Please sign up the newsletter on GMEV.co.uk if you haven鈥檛 already? They will be sent via that first. Thanks!
Are you taking suggestions for these sites or are they already determined just not yet announced?

Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
Discussion Starter #68
If there is going to be some form of membership anyway then I don鈥檛 see any issue with charging a small annual fee (Please not monthly!) for that to allow local residents to charge at preferential rates. Bear in mind most customers of the old scheme are already used to the 拢20 annual fee to CYC for the RFID.
That income then covers some of the cost of your admin/maintenance and hopefully allows you to charge local residents less than the PAYG rates, with the PAYG rates being just for folks travelling to/through the area who likely won鈥檛 mind too much paying the higher rate on a one-off basis.
I will absolutely take all this on board and feed it back. I agree with the 拢20 charge already being paid out, we just worried that people may baulk at having to pay to use another 'local' network. Amey obviously have expansion plans though so maybe this will work in the future plans.

To answer your other question, yes, the rapid sites have already been agreed with Local Authorities back in December and we are just finalising costs with ENW. I will warn, some of the sites aren't brilliant but we have learnt lessons already and introduced a much more robust site selection process for the next lot. It's taken almost 2 years to agree 30 potential sites with authorities...we can't do that again.

Registered
Unless there's something I'm unaware of, I don't think there is similar any public service/facility whereby GM residents pay less or a discounted rate compared to somebody from outside. The only example I can think of is burial plots in cemetries if you live outside the LA.

So without a local precedence, I think GMCA might hard pressed trying to introduce 2 tier pricing.

Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
Discussion Starter #70
Unless there's something I'm unaware of, I don't think there is similar any public service/facility whereby GM residents pay less or a discounted rate compared to somebody from outside. The only example I can think of is burial plots in cemetries if you live outside the LA.

So without a local precedence, I think GMCA might hard pressed trying to introduce 2 tier pricing.
I think GM only pricing would be difficult to administer anyway, checking it would be a nightmare and cause a delay in service access i imagine which won't work. We accept that the majority of users are GM residents or work here regularly...if only we had the GMEV data to compare! :)

Registered
I will absolutely take all this on board and feed it back. I agree with the 拢20 charge already being paid out, we just worried that people may baulk at having to pay to use another 'local' network. Amey obviously have expansion plans though so maybe this will work in the future plans.

To answer your other question, yes, the rapid sites have already been agreed with Local Authorities back in December and we are just finalising costs with ENW. I will warn, some of the sites aren't brilliant but we have learnt lessons already and introduced a much more robust site selection process for the next lot. It's taken almost 2 years to agree 30 potential sites with authorities...we can't do that again.
...this should be interesting...reminds of the charging point that someone posted a photo of in a field

Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
Discussion Starter #72
...this should be interesting...reminds of the charging point that someone posted a photo of in a field
Haha it鈥檚 not going to be that bad, just not places I would 100% agree with. At least one in every authority should be happening though and that鈥檚 an encouraging start

Registered
A check.of your council tax registered address or address on the V5C would do it surely, bug admin task initially but will then settle down to a normal rate after the 3rd month.

I do also wonder, if there are taxi specific ones does this mean taxis will be banned from using other chargers or forced to give way to normal users at one if a normal user turned up?

Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
Discussion Starter #74
A check.of your council tax registered address or address on the V5C would do it surely, bug admin task initially but will then settle down to a normal rate after the 3rd month.

I do also wonder, if there are taxi specific ones does this mean taxis will be banned from using other chargers or forced to give way to normal users at one if a normal user turned up?
As I say, I don鈥檛 think Amey want it to be that complex. And is it fair to penalise someone from slightly outside GM (let鈥檚 say Warrington) if they drive into GM everyday for work/leisure? We鈥檒l table all the options and I鈥檒l probably pop back here for some view points anyway.
I genuinely don鈥檛 think we鈥檇 go as far as that in the early stages, there aren鈥檛 enough of them around, we will probably 鈥榠ncentivise鈥 them to use the taxi one鈥檚 over the public ones.

Registered
I'd say yes its fair, as they dont live in the area and they could petition warrington for something to help them out. also there is a lot less of their populous living in flats than in manchester and they have a multi story carpark now over run with chargers :D

I think with the Taxi's its just education and sometimes the best way to educate is with limits. Its one think Electric Highway IMO got very very right with a 45minute limit on charges.
it will be interesting to see how sharp of a decline the network has when it goes from the free model to PAYG/Charging

Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
Discussion Starter #76
I'd say yes its fair, as they dont live in the area and they could petition warrington for something to help them out. also there is a lot less of their populous living in flats than in manchester and they have a multi story carpark now over run with chargers :D

I think with the Taxi's its just education and sometimes the best way to educate is with limits. Its one think Electric Highway IMO got very very right with a 45minute limit on charges.
it will be interesting to see how sharp of a decline the network has when it goes from the free model to PAYG/Charging
It will be interesting but hopefully only short term. We need these chargers to help be an 'enabler' for people who don't feel they can get an electric car due to no off street parking. They are just a perk to most people currently.

Registered
ZE40 R110 EVEZY referral 8bbd0
It will be interesting but hopefully only short term. We need these chargers to help be an 'enabler' for people who don't feel they can get an electric car due to no off street parking. They are just a perk to most people currently.
I think it is in general a very good think.
In my case I rent a flat in the city centre, no parking (and therefore no charging at home). It鈥檚 a car from Evezy, so it鈥檚 a subscription car. I鈥檝e never had any troubles with going out of energy yet, and in general I always keep the car between 30-80% thanks to chargers in shopping centres/town and the odd 22kWs if I鈥檓 going a bit far.
Trying evezy has allowed me to test the electric car possibility into the everyday, but I do feel a lack of public chargers in some areas to be fair (hopefully it will change with time anyway).

It鈥檚 great tho that GMEV is doing some work on it, same as the electric buses, other projects with fuel cells etc.

Registered
Just been to Horwich. The GMEV charging bays are marked as suspended from 24th-26th (if I remember correctly). If these are being upgraded means they have this afternoon to do the work - is this likely to happen? (a lot of assumptions here)

Registered
Indeed - we have done the same - an Evezy subscription to see how things would work for us. We don't have off-road parking (we could, but we would have to convert a significant part of our garden). So far a combination of GMEV charging at Manchester University, Regent Road Altrincham (before the car-park closed) and now PodPoint at Tesco, and others for longer journeys have worked fine. We don't need free, but do value convenience.

Registered
Indeed - we have done the same - an Evezy subscription to see how things would work for us. We don't have off-road parking (we could, but we would have to convert a significant part of our garden). So far a combination of GMEV charging at Manchester University, Regent Road Altrincham (before the car-park closed) and now PodPoint at Tesco, and others for longer journeys have worked fine. We don't need free, but do value convenience.
I had just moved to Altrincham when Regent Road disappeared(!)...It brings back memories...

1. No notification to anyone it was happening
2. No plan B (there was discussion of another charging point, but nothing has come of it 12 months later)

It was just complete coincidence that Tesco installed 4 EV points. Had it not been for this everyone would have been left without.

I think I heard one of these rapids might be close to Sale?

61 - 80 of 158 Posts