Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Just been to Horwich. The GMEV charging bays are marked as suspended from 24th-26th (if I remember correctly). If these are being upgraded means they have this afternoon to do the work - is this likely to happen? (a lot of assumptions here)
Yeah the changeovers are taking a little longer than they anticipated. Bearing in mind they have only done 2 so far, it's going to take a few goes before they are bang on. It's likely to be Monday until that one is sorted...apologies!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Indeed - we have done the same - an Evezy subscription to see how things would work for us. We don't have off-road parking (we could, but we would have to convert a significant part of our garden). So far a combination of GMEV charging at Manchester University, Regent Road Altrincham (before the car-park closed) and now PodPoint at Tesco, and others for longer journeys have worked fine. We don't need free, but do value convenience.
Well it is encouraging that these examples are happening where people are comfortable at the moment. Additional one's will hopefully bring more confidence! Reliability then becomes the key thing that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I had just moved to Altrincham when Regent Road disappeared(!)...It brings back memories...

1. No notification to anyone it was happening
2. No plan B (there was discussion of another charging point, but nothing has come of it 12 months later)

It was just complete coincidence that Tesco installed 4 EV points. Had it not been for this everyone would have been left without.

I think I heard one of these rapids might be close to Sale?
I believe it was abit of a messy one that. TFGM didnt have the budget to move the unit somewhere else and the LA weren't able to fund it either. That's still the case now but we will re-enter a discussion because it's madness that a place like Altrincham doesn't have a unit.

The rapids will be in every district so it's likely one will be that way.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Enjoying reading the updates and looking forward to first newsletter.

How big a player are CYC? They haven’t updated their website social media feed in a long time. You would think they no longer operating.
I think they also run the network in Nottingham.

I think the key thing is accessibility, which is solved by number of available charge points and locations. Cost of charging will be a factor. Yes some of us used to having it free but just like putting petrol/diesel in the tank we know we’ve got to pay for it.

The challenge is that everybody knows what they pay their domestic supplier and may baulk at any rate significantly higher. They would expect it to be on par if not cheaper. The value added stuff that gets missed is the original capital cost of setting it up, maintaining them and also ongoing administration. What price do you put on that?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Enjoying reading the updates and looking forward to first newsletter.

How big a player are CYC? They haven’t updated their website social media feed in a long time. You would think they no longer operating.
I think they also run the network in Nottingham.

I think the key thing is accessibility, which is solved by number of available charge points and locations. Cost of charging will be a factor. Yes some of us used to having it free but just like putting petrol/diesel in the tank we know we’ve got to pay for it.

The challenge is that everybody knows what they pay their domestic supplier and may baulk at any rate significantly higher. They would expect it to be on par if not cheaper. The value added stuff that gets missed is the original capital cost of setting it up, maintaining them and also ongoing administration. What price do you put on that?
I'm glad you are finding this useful, should have probably joined a long time ago but i wanted to have good news to share because it's easier that way :)

CYC are part of the biggest network in the UK because they were bought out by BP chargemaster. I think they kept the brand running as it was familiar and looks slightly different to the bigger roll-outs that they are doing.

I agree with both points but what we really have to remember is that it's convenient at the moment for us who have a driveway but it will be for those who don't in the future. So it will then be acceptable to be around the same price as home charging but with abit of O&M costs on top. Maybe not so much now but certainly not free anymore. Energy pricing is a tough one too, Octopus going in negative some nights doesn't help from the public pricing point of view but is wonderful for encouraging up take generally and i'm all for that!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Just an update, this chargers were completed and commissioned this week but a few teething issues on the others. Things should ramp up next week!!

DistrictSite NameAddressPost Code
BoltonTopp Way multi-storeyDuke Street, BoltonBL1 2DJ
StockportHeaton Lane Multi-storey Car ParkHeaton Lane Multi-storey Car ParkSK4 1AQ
StockportHeaton Lane Multi-storey Car ParkHeaton Lane Multi-storey Car ParkSK4 1AQ
WiganWater Street Pay on FootWigan Town CentreWN1 1YP

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Chargers planned for next week are;

BoltonOctagon Theatre NCPGreat Moor StreetBL1 1TN
BuryFairfield General HospitalRochdale Old RoadBL9 7TD
ManchesterMMU - John Dalton Science BuildingJohn Dalton Science Building (southern side of tower)M1 5GD
ManchesterPlatt Lane Sports ComplexYew Tree RoadM14 7UU
ManchesterStore StreetStore Street, City CentreM1 2WE
ManchesterCorkland RoadCorkland RoadM21 8UW
ManchesterLaystall Street35 Laystall StreetM1 2JZ
BuryFoundry StreetFoundry StreetBL9 7AZ
BuryFairfax Road, Prestwich Car ParkFairfax Road, Prestwich Car ParkM25 1AS
BuryThe Castle Car ParkBolton Street, BuryBL9 0EZ
BuryTrinity StreetTrinity StreetBL9 0BL
BuryParson Lane NorthParson Lane NorthBL9 0JT
BuryBury Market, Angouleme WayBury Market, Angouleme WayBL9 0BZ
BuryRamsbottom Car Park, Prince StreetRamsbottom Car Park, Prince StreetBL0 9BB
BoltonWright Street Car Park, HorwichWright Street, HorwichBL6 7HX
OldhamThe Royal Oldham HospitalRochdale RoadOL1 2JH
OldhamCivic Centre Car ParkOldham town centre.OL1 1UT
OldhamHobson Street Car ParkHobson Street Car Park
OldhamRock StreetRock Street, Oldham Edge, OldhamOL1 3AN
OldhamWaterloo Street Car ParkWaterloo Street, OldhamOL1 1EW

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I had just moved to Altrincham when Regent Road disappeared(!)...It brings back memories...

1. No notification to anyone it was happening
2. No plan B (there was discussion of another charging point, but nothing has come of it 12 months later)

It was just complete coincidence that Tesco installed 4 EV points. Had it not been for this everyone would have been left without.

I think I heard one of these rapids might be close to Sale?
There is the other retail park where you get 3 hours free so can get a good 18kwh in that much time

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I'm glad you are finding this useful, should have probably joined a long time ago but i wanted to have good news to share because it's easier that way :)

CYC are part of the biggest network in the UK because they were bought out by BP chargemaster. I think they kept the brand running as it was familiar and looks slightly different to the bigger roll-outs that they are doing.

I agree with both points but what we really have to remember is that it's convenient at the moment for us who have a driveway but it will be for those who don't in the future. So it will then be acceptable to be around the same price as home charging but with abit of O&M costs on top. Maybe not so much now but certainly not free anymore. Energy pricing is a tough one too, Octopus going in negative some nights doesn't help from the public pricing point of view but is wonderful for encouraging up take generally and i'm all for that!
Just think, I've every charging bay had a cover that was solar panels, think fastened style but maybe at 4metres high instead, all that electric that would be being fed back into the grid on days like today and in the wetter months(basically the other 360days a year in Manchester) it gives people cover to plug their vehicles in and do two to pay...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Just an update, this chargers were completed and commissioned this week but a few teething issues on the others. Things should ramp up next week!!

WiganWater Street Pay on FootWigan Town CentreWN1 1YP
Is each line a double head 7kw unit?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Great to see Bury in line for some upgrades in coming weeks.
I thought I’d share the following tidbits I had included in the response from m6 local council officer...

• We are currently producing a tender document to appoint an EV provider to run an on- street charging pilot project in a number of residential areas in the borough. Progress with this has been hindered by Covid-19 situation but we can hopefully move things along now. These are likely to be 7 or 22kW points.
• We are also working closely with TfGM to develop a bid for a further 300 EV chargepoints throughout Greater Manchester as part of proposals for improving air quality.

Chargers planned for next week are;

BuryFairfield General HospitalRochdale Old RoadBL9 7TD
ManchesterMMU - John Dalton Science BuildingJohn Dalton Science Building (southern side of tower)M1 5GD
ManchesterPlatt Lane Sports ComplexYew Tree RoadM14 7UU
ManchesterStore StreetStore Street, City CentreM1 2WE
ManchesterCorkland RoadCorkland RoadM21 8UW
ManchesterLaystall Street35 Laystall StreetM1 2JZ
BuryFoundry StreetFoundry StreetBL9 7AZ
BuryFairfax Road, Prestwich Car ParkFairfax Road, Prestwich Car ParkM25 1AS
BuryThe Castle Car ParkBolton Street, BuryBL9 0EZ
BuryTrinity StreetTrinity StreetBL9 0BL
BuryParson Lane NorthParson Lane NorthBL9 0JT
BuryBury Market, Angouleme WayBury Market, Angouleme WayBL9 0BZ
BuryRamsbottom Car Park, Prince StreetRamsbottom Car Park, Prince StreetBL0 9BB
BoltonWright Street Car Park, HorwichWright Street, HorwichBL6 7HX
OldhamThe Royal Oldham HospitalRochdale RoadOL1 2JH
OldhamCivic Centre Car ParkOldham town centre.OL1 1UT
OldhamHobson Street Car ParkHobson Street Car Park
OldhamRock StreetRock Street, Oldham Edge, OldhamOL1 3AN
OldhamWaterloo Street Car ParkWaterloo Street, OldhamOL1 1EW

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Can they supply 2x7kw if two cars connected or do they fall back to 2x3kw when two connected like the majority of he older GMEV posts?
I’m going to say where possible at this stage...we’ll refresh and review each site. If they are under the power requirements then we’ll talk to hosts about options. We’ll also declare somewhere what those speeds are where possible.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Great to see Bury in line for some upgrades in coming weeks.
I thought I’d share the following tidbits I had included in the response from m6 local council officer...

• We are currently producing a tender document to appoint an EV provider to run an on- street charging pilot project in a number of residential areas in the borough. Progress with this has been hindered by Covid-19 situation but we can hopefully move things along now. These are likely to be 7 or 22kW points.
• We are also working closely with TfGM to develop a bid for a further 300 EV chargepoints throughout Greater Manchester as part of proposals for improving air quality.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve been involved in both of these and as soon as there is anything solid to share then I will 👍🏻

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is the other retail park where you get 3 hours free so can get a good 18kwh in that much time
thanks, I have now moved to Horwich and have used the Horwich and Bolton Topp Way charging points. Might swing by Topp Way later to check it out - let you all know what we are in for!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Checked out the new be.ev chargers at Topp Way NCP car park in Bolton. All 3 chargers have been replaced - 6 bays in total. These are in the lower level, so head down if you go there! Is free to park on Saturday and Sunday, otherwise you pay for parking.

Charging is more seamless (compared to old model) - you tap your card, plug in and it charges straight away (it would always take ages on the old EV point). There is a very small display - the previous charger, you could see straight away how quickly charging was happening. This screen will show info for a few seconds and then it will rotate the data; plug in use, session time and energy supplied.

The display told me I used 8.47kWh over 1hr 16min 24s. There is no other information displayed. Having used the 'old' charger, suggests to me that the charging point has been replaced and whatever the existing constraints of power supply - no change.

Zap Map comments of the Horwich GMEV charger note that it was equivalent to 3kWh so should be able to validate this when it changes shortly.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 158 Posts