Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hope all went okay??
Hi Jay, I uploaded the photo on my phone and they edited on my laptop - I hate writing on my phone!

Overall - no complaints. I guess anyone expecting a colour display with fancy pictures, well that ain't happening. Any problems - no. Therefore positive outcome.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Hi Jay, I uploaded the photo on my phone and they edited on my laptop - I hate writing on my phone!

Overall - no complaints. I guess anyone expecting a colour display with fancy pictures, well that ain't happening. Any problems - no. Therefore positive outcome.
Haha is anyone expecting that? As long as it provides me a swift charge with minimal fuss then I’m happy 👍🏻 Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's pointless, wireless is such a waste of resource and the whole point is to consume less energy not more lol
The point is to allow charging while waiting in line at the taxi rank. So can charge while moving in line. A far better use of energy than an ICE taxi running its engine

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Checked out the new be.ev chargers at Topp Way NCP car park in Bolton. All 3 chargers have been replaced - 6 bays in total. These are in the lower level, so head down if you go there! Is free to park on Saturday and Sunday, otherwise you pay for parking.

Charging is more seamless (compared to old model) - you tap your card, plug in and it charges straight away (it would always take ages on the old EV point). There is a very small display - the previous charger, you could see straight away how quickly charging was happening. This screen will show info for a few seconds and then it will rotate the data; plug in use, session time and energy supplied.

The display told me I used 8.47kWh over 1hr 16min 24s. There is no other information displayed. Having used the 'old' charger, suggests to me that the charging point has been replaced and whatever the existing constraints of power supply - no change.

Zap Map comments of the Horwich GMEV charger note that it was equivalent to 3kWh so should be able to validate this when it changes shortly.
It would be nice if it displayed supplied amps and does load sharing. My only real gripe with the EK units is they don't load share dynamically and just cut to 15/16amps if 2 vehicles are plugged in and supply is limited.

Good news on the front so far though 👍

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I’ve been involved in both of these and as soon as there is anything solid to share then I will 👍🏻
Doesn’t have to be solid agreed plans, happy to hear about what options have been considered, discarded or shortlisted even if it’s early speculation.
Does it involve lampposts or kerbside charging posts?
I’m guessing trailing cables is the biggest concern?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Checked out the new be.ev chargers at Topp Way NCP car park in Bolton. All 3 chargers have been replaced - 6 bays in total. These are in the lower level, so head down if you go there! Is free to park on Saturday and Sunday, otherwise you pay for parking.

Charging is more seamless (compared to old model) - you tap your card, plug in and it charges straight away (it would always take ages on the old EV point). There is a very small display - the previous charger, you could see straight away how quickly charging was happening. This screen will show info for a few seconds and then it will rotate the data; plug in use, session time and energy supplied.

The display told me I used 8.47kWh over 1hr 16min 24s. There is no other information displayed. Having used the 'old' charger, suggests to me that the charging point has been replaced and whatever the existing constraints of power supply - no change.

Zap Map comments of the Horwich GMEV charger note that it was equivalent to 3kWh so should be able to validate this when it changes shortly.
Font and colour scheme looks a bit too close to OVO Energy 🤔

Reactions: driving14

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Doesn’t have to be solid agreed plans, happy to hear about what options have been considered, discarded or shortlisted even if it’s early speculation.
Does it involve lampposts or kerbside charging posts?
I’m guessing trailing cables is the biggest concern?
Nothing is off the table at the moment, the rest of GM isn’t too sure about on-street for various reasons (it’s unsustainable, on going costs, most of GM’s lampposts are at the back of the curb and many cities have had TRO issues as you don’t own the space outside your house) but Bury are keen to trial it for various reasons so we need to support them on it. They put a tender out and had a few responses but the Amey contract also including on-street provision so we need to address that really. Worse case scenario though, they address the commitment for a charger in every ward with a mix of on-street posts or in local car parks off-street with 24 hour access.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nothing is off the table at the moment, the rest of GM isn’t too sure about on-street for various reasons (it’s unsustainable, on going costs, most of GM’s lampposts are at the back of the curb and many cities have had TRO issues as you don’t own the space outside your house) but Bury are keen to trial it for various reasons so we need to support them on it. They put a tender out and had a few responses but the Amey contract also including on-street provision so we need to address that really. Worse case scenario though, they address the commitment for a charger in every ward with a mix of on-street posts or in local car parks off-street with 24 hour access.
Yes, lamp posts are at back of kerb, so it would have to be a new charging post at edge of kerb, away from lamppost to allow room for pushchairs etc on pavement. More costs but I can’t see any other way to avoid trailing cables.
In some cases, I’ve seen BT Openreach/Virgin street furniture at edge of kerb. I thought that was something being considered elsewhere in country
Another option would be to adapt parking meters but that’s not of much use to residents in smaller towns. Good for city centres though.

If you look around, there’s so much kerb side street furniture. Not all suitable though, like Pillar Boxes. Phone boxes? A dying breed. There’s probably more charging points in UK now than phone boxes 😂

·
Registered
57 Posts
Haha is anyone expecting that? As long as it provides me a swift charge with minimal fuss then I’m happy 👍🏻 Thanks for the update!
hi Jay, sounds like you are doing a bit of a PR role for GMEV. I remember meeting someone at a roadshow event in Media City and talking about the 24 rapids 2 years ago - were you there?

Can you comment on your strategy, for example how are GMEVdifferent from Pod-Point? They have a mixture of fast/rapids like you have. I've read the GMEV charging proposal and I get free charging was going to end at somepoint.

I'd be interested to know if I am one of your customer base/market. I have never had off-road parking and have lived in 3 Greater Manchester properties in the last 2 years. (If I could charge at home I would have very different charging needs). I have the leaf 40kWh.

GMEV has not always delivered in my opinion:

Stretford - the Lacy Street charger was out of action for a very long time, I had several conversations with local councillors.
Trafford townhall chargers are closed at weekends!

Altrincham - Regent Road charger....we already discussed this

Horwich - pretty sure this charges at 3kWh

I've never understood why CYC members were not consulted directly.

As you can see GMEV has baggage and therefore should be using this to drive a better service.

thanks David

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
hi Jay, sounds like you are doing a bit of a PR role for GMEV. I remember meeting someone at a roadshow event in Media City and talking about the 24 rapids 2 years ago - were you there?

Can you comment on your strategy, for example how are GMEVdifferent from Pod-Point? They have a mixture of fast/rapids like you have. I've read the GMEV charging proposal and I get free charging was going to end at somepoint.

I'd be interested to know if I am one of your customer base/market. I have never had off-road parking and have lived in 3 Greater Manchester properties in the last 2 years. (If I could charge at home I would have very different charging needs). I have the leaf 40kWh.

GMEV has not always delivered in my opinion:

Stretford - the Lacy Street charger was out of action for a very long time, I had several conversations with local councillors.
Trafford townhall chargers are closed at weekends!

Altrincham - Regent Road charger....we already discussed this

Horwich - pretty sure this charges at 3kWh

I've never understood why CYC members were not consulted directly.

As you can see GMEV has baggage and therefore should be using this to drive a better service.

thanks David
Hi David

Yes that was likely me, I was brought in to do the events side of things for public and business but have since been involved in the customer side of things (amongst a million other things)

I remember us chatting about the Trafford Council one’s it think!

Have to be honest, GMEV hasn’t been top of TFGM’s list in the last few years but it’s certainly finding it’s way up there now. Wayne has done what he can with the budget provided but the strategy hasn’t been there for a long term goal.

That’s being worked up now but we know we need a mix of 7kw chargers and rapids to meet the needs of people without off street parking and those who need top up’s when out and about. We’re trying to find that using the government pots at the moment but if not possible then Amey are here to support more long term.

As for the 3kw issue, as part of Amey’s refresh, they will measure all this up and if we can upgrade then we will. It’s difficult though if they belong to hosts as it will be up to them if they want to upgrade their boards.

We left a lot up to CYC and I think we believed they might just win the contract again given their size and stature...that wasn’t to be and they’ve not taken it too well.
Things will change though and hopefully we can make some big improvements!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
At rapid sites personally I'd like to see one or two UHD cameras recording all sessions as that way when people don't out back connectors or damage them... The cost can be sent to them as some people are shocking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi David

Yes that was likely me, I was brought in to do the events side of things for public and business but have since been involved in the customer side of things (amongst a million other things)

I remember us chatting about the Trafford Council one’s it think!

Have to be honest, GMEV hasn’t been top of TFGM’s list in the last few years but it’s certainly finding it’s way up there now. Wayne has done what he can with the budget provided but the strategy hasn’t been there for a long term goal.

That’s being worked up now but we know we need a mix of 7kw chargers and rapids to meet the needs of people without off street parking and those who need top up’s when out and about. We’re trying to find that using the government pots at the moment but if not possible then Amey are here to support more long term.

As for the 3kw issue, as part of Amey’s refresh, they will measure all this up and if we can upgrade then we will. It’s difficult though if they belong to hosts as it will be up to them if they want to upgrade their boards.

We left a lot up to CYC and I think we believed they might just win the contract again given their size and stature...that wasn’t to be and they’ve not taken it too well.
Things will change though and hopefully we can make some big improvements!
hi Jay, it was your comment about previously working at the University - I seem to remember you had just come from their program.

I work in a similar environment to you; public/regulated/contracts - and I must say it can be completely different to the private sector. The worst case scenario is that you are locked in a contract (for years) with a Provider who can be providing a shoddy service.

Did I mention I used to live in Altrincham:

I'm willing to have an open mind about the future as you seem very optimistic. It's great to see that you are happy to chat here and share info. 😃

thanks David

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
@jaysmith08, living in central Shropshire, if I wished to visit Manchester I would need to recharge my 24kWh Leaf while visiting (as well as at an en-route Rapid each way).

Obviously, if my Leaf could be charging while it was parked up for the duration of my visit this would save me time having to wait at a Manchester Rapid to get enough charge for the first part of my return journey.

I have a CYC RFID card, which I use when travelling in areas that CYC posts serve, (mainly Worcestershire, but I have used it in Scotland), and currently this would be available to me if I chose to visit Manchester.

I note that following the transfer to Amey, contactless debit/credit card payment will be available at Rapids, but what about occasional out-of-town visitors wishing to use the 'destination' charging points - if I subscribe to your RFID card (and how much would that cost me?), will it work with any charging points Amey may provide in other towns?

By the way, a Google search today for GMEV brought up: Greater Manchester Electric Vehicle Network which says:
"Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) established the Greater Manchester Electric Vehicle (GMEV) Network in 2013. The network offers free charging for a nominal membership fee, with the costs being absorbed by TfGM. It was decided that the network required a technological renewal and strategic expansion if it were to support the mass adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) across the region and play a central role in improving air quality. "

Perhaps it might be worth having a word with www.local.gov.uk to get their web-page updated. The Google search also brought up other weblinks which still refer to free charging.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another email from from CYC. Slightly different list, Topps NCP carpark has disappeared and Corkland is new. Yes you can feel CYC and GMEV not aligned here...

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Another email from from CYC. Slightly different list, Topps NCP carpark has disappeared and Corkland is new. Yes you can feel CYC and GMEV not aligned here...
Are you able to share what it says exactly? This is the issue with them sharing it to select groups who use the chargers because they’re only informing people week by week of the replacement cycle. Topps was completed so it’s not going to be on that circulation list. Thanks for the feedback, we are trying to show them that it’s becoming confusing but they don’t currently agree...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you able to share what it says exactly? This is the issue with them sharing it to select groups who use the chargers because they’re only informing people week by week of the replacement cycle. Topps was completed so it’s not going to be on that circulation list. Thanks for the feedback, we are trying to show them that it’s becoming confusing but they don’t currently agree...
Hello,
We are writing to inform you that some of the charge points you use will be switched over to a new charge point operator in the next few days.
In the short term, you will be able to access these new units using your Charge Your Car RFID Access Card or any other RFID-enabled card. The Charge Your Car app will unfortunately not be available to use with the new units.
These charge points are owned by Transport for Greater Manchester, who has taken a decision to move the following charge points to a new operator, and is planning to switch further charge points over in the coming weeks:
We have answered some common questions you may have below.
How will I know if the charge point I use has been switched over to the new operator?
Once we have been notified of the charge point having been successfully switched over, it will be removed from our map of charge points.
TfGM will also notify you directly via a newsletter. Please sign up here to receive this newsletter.
How can I access these charge points in future?
You will need to sign up with the new operator to access these charge points. TfGM will provide details for how to do this in their newsletter.
Are other electric vehicle charging networks available in this area?
Other charging networks are available in this region, including a large number of charge points on Polar, the largest public network of electric vehicle charging points in the UK.
We apologise for any inconvenience you may experience as a result of this transition and thank you for your custom.
The Charge Your Car team
Copyright © 2020 BP Chargemaster, All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

·
Registered
ZE40 R110 EVEZY referral 8bbd0
74 Posts
@jaysmith08 is the charger at John Dalton Tower fully installed?
I’m one of the few researchers allowed in the building these days and just saw it 10mins ago. It wasn’t there this morning.
I went to test it before going home (restricted hours these days) but it says “error tamper”.
I don’t know if maybe is not finished yet.

Cheers,
Alex

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
@jaysmith08 is the charger at John Dalton Tower fully installed?
I’m one of the few researchers allowed in the building these days and just saw it 10mins ago. It wasn’t there this morning.
I went to test it before going home (restricted hours these days) but it says “error tamper”.
I don’t know if maybe is not finished yet.
View attachment 131875
Cheers,
Alex
Hi Alex

it’s likely that it hasn’t been fully commissioned yet, were there barriers still there? It needs connecting to the back office which is usually a day or so. I’d say it’s likely to be ready by Friday AM to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110 EVEZY referral 8bbd0
74 Posts
Hi Alex

it’s likely that it hasn’t been fully commissioned yet, were there barriers still there? It needs connecting to the back office which is usually a day or so. I’d say it’s likely to be ready by Friday AM to be on the safe side.
No barrier, traffic cones or anything blocking them.
Glad to see it happening anyway, this morning the old (non working) charger was still there at @930am, at 16 was already installed the new one. Nicely done.
Hopefully will be working soon.
i will have to check if my polar card works on it. I don’t have a CYC card, and I haven’t found a dedicated app yet either.
Thanks for the info and being so open and communicative about it Jay!

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
No barrier, traffic cones or anything blocking them.
Glad to see it happening anyway, this morning the old (non working) charger was still there at @930am, at 16 was already installed the new one. Nicely done.
Hopefully will be working soon.
i will have to check if my polar card works on it. I don’t have a CYC card, and I haven’t found a dedicated app yet either.
Thanks for the info and being so open and communicative about it Jay!
I'll feed this back, it's being done by two different teams (1 for the civil work and 1 for commissioning) so we need to provide something on the machine to say it's not quite set up yet. Your POLAR card will work on it, even your contactless bank card will work at this stage, there isn't an app yet but it's coming in a month or so. Thanks for the positive feedback though and they'll be really happy to hear that! I wish i'd joined sooner to be honest as people do seem to appreciate these comms :) thanks!

101 - 120 of 158 Posts