Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Been thinking of going electric for sometime, but always thought it is not the time yet…. until today, when dealer called with a very good offer on our Tiguan Allspace.

Luckily I have been doing background research as to which EV would suit us best. Looked at I-Pace, TM3, XC40 Recharge and ID4. These cars are smaller, and doesn’t feel as refined as the E-tron (based on our short test drives).

Range wise, I don’t think it is an issue as we do about 120 miles a week normally. For longer drives, we have three young children so we never go more than two hours of driving before having to stop!

Quick browse on the internet there are few low mileage E-tron 50 around ~£45K range which is well within our price range.

So the question is - is this the right time to go electric, with an E-tron? Are there any other comparable cars that we should consider first?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As someone with an E-Tron 50 I can say it will fit your needs perfectly well. I do about the same mileage as you and only go on longer trips about 2-3 times per year with an 8 year old, and going further than 2 -2.5 hours is a no no. It is always nice to have longer range, but when I think about it I have never once felt constrained by the lack of it.

I will of course look at options as I am coming to the end of the lease next July (7 - 8 month lead time for new car deliveries). So I may look at longer ranged options for the peace of mind but I won't take a big downgrade to get it.

I keep reading reviews or comments from other EV owners who proclaim the E-Tron 50 as a useless car and say things like, "who is the pointless car for?". The answer is simple, someone who wants luxury and drives well within the useable range of the car every day. Or the majority of the car driving population.

EDIT: You could also consider an Audi Q4 40 as it is a deceptively big car on the inside and is a slight step down in luxury from an E-Tron. If you can put up with the worse performance that is. I have seen a few at sport level trim for that price range. Though no air suspension if that is important to you. I am considering a Q4 40 as it is a nice car to drive and quite a bit closer to E-Tron quality than the ID.4 etc. I am also looking a smaller car as my wife will not drive the E-Tron as it is too big.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
899 Posts
Absolutely no regrets with my E-Tron, although mine is on lease, not bought. I've done a few long day trips of 200+ miles and it's been fine. Most weeks I just charge once overnight at home or at a public charger.

It's comfortable, roomy, and feels very nice to sit in. It drives well and doesn't feel it's size or weight. I know some people have trouble parking it because it's not a small car, but I've never had any problems.

I'm going to really miss it when it goes back next year. If I get chance to extend my lease for about the same cost, I almost certainly will. If not, I'll be looking very hard at the Kia EV6.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm the same as you. I have looked at a few different cars for my next EV. The following are my subjective opinions and if people feel insulted I don't care :)

ID.4 was just too much of a regression as far as quality was concerned. I really think VW have regressed considerably to below the Korean levels.

Q4 was much better than ID.4 and only a marginal step down in some areas of quality compared to the big E-Tron but certainly something I could live with. It felt more nimble and almost as spacious. More importantly my wife liked the size and was happy when she test drove it.

Enyaq was somewhere between the ID.4 and Q4 but still jsut too much of a regression.

Ioniq 5 was trying too hard to be retro and modern at the same time. Just not for me at all and I felt the cool factor will wear off very quickly. Interior had better quality than the ID.4 but lower than on the Q4

I won't entertain Tesla as I hate their interior plank with iPad and steering wheel styling and the ongoing (but improved) build quality issues.

Jaguar I-Pace JLR quality and reliability puts me off even considering one. Plus it's more expensive than the full fat E-Tron and I don't like the oversized sports car style they went for, it just looks wrong to me.

BMW iX3 I wasn't keen on the very dated styling of the inside or outside. Though it was at least normal looking.

Mach-E was the same for me as the I-Pace, it looked like an oversized sports car and looked wrong proprotionally.

Still to evaluate the EV6 but again not sure what look they are going for with the styling. I prefer the Audi styling because they look modern and stylish without trying too hard to be "look at me".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly my thoughts @ICDP_EV when we looked at ID4 and TM3.

I thought that ID4 should be familiar and have comparable quality coming from Tiguan, but was really disappointed by it. ID3 is even worse.

The headliner in our TM3 demo car was sagging. Appreciate it was a demo car, but surely they should try harder especially when trying to convince people to buy it.

Planning to try out Q4 and Ioniq 5 as well so we are better informed.

Thank you for the responses everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts