Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
We have a 4kva system and last year we produced over 3500kw, the Volt in the last 8 months has used in total, including a small amount of public charging 2300kw. So even taking off the approx £400 of petrol we have used on top of the electric to travel 9500miles I have still got back over £250 more than the cost of driving my car. Now thats a good way to advertise an EV!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing that's worth mentioning is that the people who are going to install the panels have warned me that the FIT for new systems is going to be going down 0.5p (I think per KW/h - that's the right units isn't it?) From the end of March....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That is because systems are still getting cheaper. When I got my 2kWp system it cost me £10K... now you can get a 4kWp system from about £5K.

Pay back is still likely to be about 8 years.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
When we move house we will get the biggest array we can fit on the roof even if it is over the 4kW... we will apply for authority from the DNO if we need to.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
We have two identical 3.5kWp systems, one on then SE roof elevation and one on the NW. During our first year we produced 5801kWh which was more than we expected.

This is enough electricity to drive the Tesla Roadster 19,336 miles if we assume 60kWh at the wall produces 200 miles range (which is my rule of thumb across all temperatures and driving styles) :)

IMG_3005_Low_Res.JPG

Interestingly the SE roof produced ~3202kWh and the NW ~2573kWh demonstrating that deployment on none optimal roofs is worthwhile! My advice is fill the roof with solar PV and solar thermal and plan for future where gas heating and petrol is unaffordable.

IMG_3009_Low_Res.JPG

IMG_3007_Low_Res.JPG

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is this still viable after March ? I've ruled it out previously but that was before I started charging an EV at home. Do we think install costs will drop further when FIT drops. Does it then become a decision based on what you can consume rather than sell to the grid.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Is this still viable after March ? I've ruled it out previously but that was before I started charging an EV at home. Do we think install costs will drop further when FIT drops. Does it then become a decision based on what you can consume rather than sell to the grid.

I think that the government must link the feed in tariff etc to the cost of the panels.
My system is just over a year old and they forecast that it would take 8 years to pay back the original investment @16.5p per kwh. A friend of mine was an early adopter and he is getting something like 47p per kWh yet he was forecast that it will take 10 years to pay back.
I don't think that the export tarrif is going down which is 4.64p on 50% of all you generate and this is index linked. If like us you can charge during the day and you use all of the kWh you generate then in affect you are being paid to drive your car

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
We know that energy prices will only go in one direction and that eventually FIT incentives will stop. My advice is to invest now while you get some financial assistance and then do everything possible to minimise energy consumption while using all the energy that you generate. As we go froward those people with local energy production/storage will be the 'wealthy' members of our society :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts