Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm going to be buying a Leaf this month. My budget is around 10k. I've seen a Tekna model with 30k miles and 2 owners, is this considered low for an EV? for a petrol or diesel this would be but this is a whole new world mechanically so i'm unsure as ive seen some with 40-50k miles with 1 or 2 bars missing. I understand that rapid charging isn't good for the battery in the long run but 40-50k isn't exactly a lot but could be for an EV.

Is there anything else i need to know? what to watch out for? what would need checking or replacing as a precaution? anything at all?

I'd very much appreciate your help and replies.

I'm looking forward to a Leaf.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
599 Posts
@ibby730d

Check out this reply to Zed in your situation.https://www.speakev.com/conversations/messages/156577/
and this:Questions or things to double-check before purchase?

EDIT- another thing-check if it has a 6kw onboard charger or just the standard 3kw. Also when buying a used vehicle always go for top-of-the range, the difference price-wise is minimal secondhand, much larger when new. I just love the TEkna all-round cameras and birds-eye view when parking, the heated steering wheel and front and rear heated seats that can be switched on remotely up to 20 mins before you set off on a cold morning, or the aircon on a hot day when the sun has been baking your car in the car park and the interior is lovely and cool when you get into it.

Remember to wait until the last couple of days of the month before making your play, that is when they need to get the last couple of sales in before they submit the end of month sales figures; this is the time to strike-they are desperate to do a deal then.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I'm going to be buying a Leaf this month. My budget is around 10k. I've seen a Tekna model with 30k miles and 2 owners, is this considered low for an EV? for a petrol or diesel this would be but this is a whole new world mechanically so i'm unsure as ive seen some with 40-50k miles with 1 or 2 bars missing. I understand that rapid charging isn't good for the battery in the long run but 40-50k isn't exactly a lot but could be for an EV.
At 30k miles if the battery is good it is likely to be at around 90% SoH. Mine was 92% at 23k miles and is now hovering around 88.5% at 35k miles.

The first bar is lost some time after the reported SoH (which can fluctuate up and down a bit) stays consistently below 85%.
Is there anything else i need to know? what to watch out for? what would need checking or replacing as a precaution? anything at all?
The number one thing to check on a 2nd hand leaf is the State of Health or SoH of the battery using Leafspy. The traction battery is the heart of the car and the one thing most likely to be faulty or degraded in a bad car and the most expensive single item in the car. The rest of the car is fairly bullet proof with a few small caveats.

The 12 bar health meter on the dashboard is just too coarse to go by as you don't lose the first bar until SoH is below 85% and then lose an extra bar every few percent below that. So a car with all 12 bars could be anywhere between 85-100% SoH in theory. Also you won't know about any individual cells that are going faulty from the bars on the dashboard.

Leafspy will show both a precise SoH, and also the voltage balance of all the cells - which if checked below about 70% charge will give a good idea whether any individual cells have a fault or they are all well balanced.

Check the drivers seat is comfy for you on a longer drive. I found the Tekna drivers seat quite uncomfortable to be honest - the base doesn't have any tilt adjustment and doesn't lean back far enough for my liking, also the side bolsters on the base dig into my legs/thighs (they're too pointy and too close together) and this is not immediately apparent when I get in the car but after a while driving I start to feel it, probably after the middle area has sagged slightly with body heat.

As a result I've had to add some extra padding on the seat to make it a bit flatter and acceptably comfortable. Perhaps the cloth Acenta seats are more comfortable - I don't know because I haven't driven an Acenta. I actually find the rear seats more comfortable than the front ones due to lack of stabby side bolsters..

Other minor niggles with Leaf's - rain water drips down from the wiper blade arm into the suspension strut top which is cup shaped and collects water. Sometimes the entire area the strut top is in can get flooded due to blocked drains. With the bonnet open the little plastic doors at each end of the gutter area can be lifted up to check this. Easily fixed though. Many of us have fitted caps to cover the strut tops after cleaning and greasing them to prevent any further corrosion of the stud and nut.

The front driveshafts can start to click when switching between regen and power take up - mine has started doing this and there is a thread about this active on the forum now - it's apparently a very common problem with Leaf's but is not anything that is going to cause you to break down as far as I can see - more of an annoyance.

Can't really think of much else - I've had mine for 10 months now and aside from these niggles it has been a solid car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a note on the 6kw on board charger. This shouldn't be a deal breaker for you, bear in mind it's only going to benefit you if you're charging on a public slow charger (not a rapid) and only really benefit you if you're sat there for hours.

Difference between the 3 and 6 at home is rather pointless because who cares when you're asleep how fast it charges when the battery size is only 30.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Just a note on the 6kw on board charger. This shouldn't be a deal breaker for you, bear in mind it's only going to benefit you if you're charging on a public slow charger (not a rapid) and only really benefit you if you're sat there for hours.

Difference between the 3 and 6 at home is rather pointless because who cares when you're asleep how fast it charges when the battery size is only 30.
One reason to have the 6kW charger is if you're trying to cram all your charging into a 4 hour cheap time window in the middle of the night on a dual rate tariff - you can't do that on the 3kW charger unless you don't do much mileage per day.

I also find the speed of the 6kW charger handy on weekends where I can top up again a lot quicker if I need to make multiple long trips per day especially in winter.

But no, not having it is not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
599 Posts

I could not disagree more strongly. A 6kw onboard charger is an absolute deal-breaker for me. It enables me to charge at all the Tesco superstores when visiting towns on the fringe of my range limit. For instance, we regularly visit Gold Hill in Shaftesbury from Poole, in the Winter we would be unable to manage that distance comfortably, the same at Portland Bill in Weymouth, that would be beyond our range. If we have an unexpected trip when partly charged, I can connect immediately and get enough top-up to make that trip. A 3kw just doesn't cut it.
Also when using cheap overnight tariffs the cheap tariff window is too small for a 3kw charger to fully balance and complete the charge, it's a breeze for the 6kw.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
6kw is rare on 30's and especially Tekna models due to a quirk with the financing when the car was new. Adding the 6 increased the cost significantly, which meant not many folk chose that option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts