Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Going to Wales for about a week with the family. Coventry to Brecon Beacons (138 miles) and then to Pembrokeshire (+70 miles). Return journey is about 210 miles. I've kind of decided to take the Leaf rather than borrow my dads BMW X5 (hoping this is the right call). Not looking at using rapids at dealership. Will stop on the way once at the services and charge.

Staying at a cottage for a few days where they have a commando socket so I can use my Ohme cable for the first time:).
For the last 2 nights i'm staying at Travelodge in Pembrokeshire with no EV charging facilities. There's an Asda a few hundred metres away and also a Tesco, which has a charger. Was looking at charging there in the evening
Does anyone know if there's a time limit as to how long you can charge in Tesco for? I was looking to charge for a few hours to top up or is it a bit cheeky to do that?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Most Tescos have a time limit on the car park rather than the charger. If it is a PodPoint then it'll charge for 4 hours then let you straight back on, but check the parking restrictions carefully as they generally apply 24 hours/day and are based on ANPR at entry and exit, and hence aren't aware why you are there.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,159 Posts
Hey all,

Going to Wales for about a week with the family. Coventry to Brecon Beacons (138 miles) and then to Pembrokeshire (+70 miles). Return journey is about 210 miles. I've kind of decided to take the Leaf rather than borrow my dads BMW X5 (hoping this is the right call). Not looking at using rapids at dealership. Will stop on the way once at the services and charge.

Staying at a cottage for a few days where they have a commando socket so I can use my Ohme cable for the first time:).
For the last 2 nights i'm staying at Travelodge in Pembrokeshire with no EV charging facilities. There's an Asda a few hundred metres away and also a Tesco, which has a charger. Was looking at charging there in the evening
Does anyone know if there's a time limit as to how long you can charge in Tesco for? I was looking to charge for a few hours to top up or is it a bit cheeky to do that?
Take a look on Zap Map or Parkopedia. One of them should have the parking time limits listed in the restrictions section. Generally you're only looking at 2 hours of free parking at most supermarkets, and an increasing number are installing ANPR forcing to you spend money in order to validate your parking and enforcing a no returns within X hours policy.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, its a little confusing, zap map shows 3 hours and Parkopedia shows 2 hours. Only 1 charger is working as well:(
There some chargers by Dragon charging 22kwh but no price mentioned for some reason, not even on their website

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Get them to send you photo as there are quite a few types of commando. Problem comes if it is a 16A as you would need an adaptor and be very careful not to draw 32A.

We couldn't even use a granny at cottage we rented last year in North Wales, which even in a Model 3 LR made life difficult. We will choose better next time!

If a supermarket has a limit it is usually two hours, but do check. Maybe buy a bottle of wine or something to avoid any guilt about getting a free charge ;)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thanks, its a little confusing, zap map shows 3 hours and Parkopedia shows 2 hours. Only 1 charger is working as well:(
There some chargers by Dragon charging 22kwh but no price mentioned for some reason, not even on their website
You can call them and register any RFID card with GeniePoint for Dragon chargers. 25p/kWH usually.
https://www.cpsgenie.com/ds/PublicMap

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get them to send you photo as there are quite a few types of commando. Problem comes if it is a 16A as you would need an adaptor and be very careful not to draw 32A.

We couldn't even use a granny at cottage we rented last year in North Wales, which even in a Model 3 LR made life difficult. We will choose better next time!
I was sent a picture of the socket and was told it was a 32a socket, so im hoping this should work

Also taking the granny charger just in case. So taking 3 cables with me, not sure if i'm over doing it

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
No, not rapids. You will need to use your own cable, and just get 6.6 kW in a Leaf.
Assuming that your LEAF has the 6.6kW OBC, not all have that with a lot being limited to 3.6kW.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,168 Posts
F7B93B0C-8FDC-4162-A339-A875E375A459.png

This photo was taken end of January 2020 and sign says 3 hours. According to Plugshare, the 22kW Dragon chargers cost 85p connection fee then 25p perkWh. There could be parking charges too.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 132758
This photo was taken end of January 2020 and sign says 3 hours. According to Plugshare, the 22kW Dragon chargers cost 85p connection fee then 25p perkWh. There could be parking charges too.
That's brilliant thanks.
Yeah its about £1.50 I think for the dragon charger car park but will use the Tesco one hopefully

1 - 14 of 14 Posts