Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just bought a GTE Advance and do like the car. I charged the car and used in E mode only and got 21 miles. Then decided to use just the petrol engine and got 280(saying 40 miles left in tank) then fill it up for £48. (40L tank). Now im charging it everyday at work for £1.20. 90% of my communite is non motorway in town start stop driving. I just came from a 2010 Golf Bluemotion 1.6 TDI which has amazing fuel ecomomy but DPF problems because of lack of Mway miles. In July I will have a new job that will be 9 miles to (18 there and back) and will be 95% Motorway miles, and I wont be able to charge like my current job.

Am i better off with the 2018 GTE or Newer same price Golf 1.5 TSI R line Evo 150ps DSG?

What will have better fuel economy as the GTE is like 200kg heavier.

Any advice will help. Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,868 Posts
Are you saying that you cannot charge at home? If you could then a BEV such as the e-Golf would be the obvious choice.

Even used without plugged in charging a GTE can be more economical than an equivalent petrol, but over such a short and mainly motorway run it is unlikely to be better. As you say the weight is a significant factor, as will be the additional costs of maintenance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that you cannot charge at home? If you could then a BEV such as the e-Golf would be the obvious choice.

Even used without plugged in charging a GTE can be more economical than an equivalent petrol, but over such a short and mainly motorway run it is unlikely to be better. As you say the weight is a significant factor, as will be the additional costs of maintenance.
At the moment I can charge it at my place (hanging the charger out the window/frontdoor lol) but in sep will be moving out to somewhere else, where I wont be able to charge it. So no charge at work or home, just at tescos and odd places. But that is so inconvenient. I got it from VW so have the 30 day no quibble to exhange it for a car on same value or more and the Golf R-Line is about £100 more.

Also noticed the tyres look like they are wearing alot quicker then normal, guessing thats the weight + torque. I dont even drive in GTE mode and drive pretty soft 90% of the time.

So wondering do I just swap it for the petty R-Line?

Like how much miles would I get out of a fuel tank of urban start stop driving from a petty R-Line compared to my GTE ? 🤔

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The GTE will still get better fuel economy than a non-hybrid. That is because the stop-start system can work more efficiently, driving the vehicle at low power levels on just electric. That energy comes from regen braking and occasionally from using the engine when it is efficient to charge the battery (low-load conditions)

On the motorway, the difference will be fairly negligible. In town, the economy should be better.

Also, the GTE has 210hp. Which is a lot of fun. I'd get bored with just a regular 1.5 TSI.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Can’t you return it and get an eGolf or an ID.3, even with an eGolf you’d probably only need to charge it weekly on a Rapid.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,615 Posts
Running a plug in hybrid without plugging it in is pointless.

Why carry the electric motor and battery around and effectively charge it with petrol?

If you can’t/won’t get an EV for such a commute, then personally I’d go for an efficient petrol car, and there are better ones around than the Golf.

I appreciate that you might be stuck with VWs though owing to the 30 day exchange thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The GTE will still get better fuel economy than a non-hybrid. That is because the stop-start system can work more efficiently, driving the vehicle at low power levels on just electric. That energy comes from regen braking and occasionally from using the engine when it is efficient to charge the battery (low-load conditions)

On the motorway, the difference will be fairly negligible. In town, the economy should be better.

Also, the GTE has 210hp. Which is a lot of fun. I'd get bored with just a regular 1.5 TSI.
Oh ok, well today I went and test drove that R line, and was getting about 28mpg, but for some reasom it felt so flat and boring compared to my GTE. I prefered the R seats and the infortainment system still having the volume knob. All the sales guys were saying keep it you wont regret it as more chargers become available. Hmmm.

Also yes the 210 bhp is fun BUT aint that only if its charged, if its not charged its a 150 petty dragging around a 200kg battery?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can’t you return it and get an eGolf or an ID.3, even with an eGolf you’d probably only need to charge it weekly on a Rapid.
No u fortunately they are out of price range at the moment, the GTE was £21,300, and the petty R-line is £22,400. I was thinking about a Mk 8 Diesel even in same price range, but VW were saying in a few years it will depreciate alot more then the hybrid. But with 21 miles range, it is pretty poor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Running a plug in hybrid without plugging it in is pointless.

Why carry the electric motor and battery around and effectively charge it with petrol?

If you can’t/won’t get an EV for such a commute, then personally I’d go for an efficient petrol car, and there are better ones around than the Golf.

I appreciate that you might be stuck with VWs though owing to the 30 day exchange thing.
Yeh doesnt make sense, at the moment i can charge at work for £1.20 a day and home (leaving my window open 😑😐) but from Sep i wont be able to charge at work or home, so is it really worth having, but drove the petty R line today and wasnt exactly much better on fuel around town.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The difference is that the 1.5tsi is less powerful overall but had much less torque as you are not getting the electric. You should get 210bhp while in GTE mode as the battery always has a reserve. 0% on a GTE is actually something like 10-20% battery capacity. That why you can drive in hybrid mode with no charge. Yes you will not get the full GTE experience as the battery will need to keep topped up all the time from the engine but it should still be a fun drive (just using more fuel that with a charge).

I'd say you are best taking the GTE out for a normal drive with no charge and see how you go. Remember it's a hybrid car so designed to use both power systems.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
No, you will still get 210 hp from a GTE even if you never plug it in, because the engine keeps the battery topped up.

That said I concur with others on this forum - never charging a GTE is silly. You will not get good fuel economy. The fuel economy will probably be better than comparable high-performance petrol cars. My current commute (as infrequently as I do it) is about 20 miles there and 20 miles back, one 60 mph A road for half of it and a 70 mph dual carriageway for the rest, with no charging available at the office yet. Charging and pre-heating at home means I essentially get 80 mpg on the trip. It is a lot better than even some of the best diesels but has much more power so for instance on the NSL A road when you get stuck behind a slower vehicle you can make use of the available power to overtake quite easily.

The GTE offers excellent performance as the hybrid system fills in for dips in the turbo/ICE powertrain. After 30 mph it is roughly constant 210 hp to the top speed of the vehicle. Few cars can do that, even supercars have dips in the power output through gear changes. The DSG also takes advantage of the e-motor using it to speed up downshift and upshift by helping to revmatch the engine. I'd still take an ID.3 over it (will probably be my next car) because I don't want to burn petrol if possible.

Do you really have no where to charge it? Is it a lack of facility at home, because even a 13 amp plug through the kitchen window is better than not charging it. The parking at my current place backs onto the garden and I've put charging in there for my GTE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The difference is that the 1.5tsi is less powerful overall but had much less torque as you are not getting the electric. You should get 210bhp while in GTE mode as the battery always has a reserve. 0% on a GTE is actually something like 10-20% battery capacity. That why you can drive in hybrid mode with no charge. Yes you will not get the full GTE experience as the battery will need to keep topped up all the time from the engine but it should still be a fun drive (just using more fuel that with a charge).

I'd say you are best taking the GTE out for a normal drive with no charge and see how you go. Remember it's a hybrid car so designed to use both power systems.
Oh never knew that, I thought how does it still start and pull.off in electric only when I have 0 battery. I do enjoy driving the GTE its obv not a GTI or R but its not meant to be, deffo more fun then the 1.5. I just wish the dam battery lasted Longer! If this car could do 50 miles on a charge I would love it. I have just spent 3 hrs charging near work and went like 2 miles up the road and its dropped to 3/4s so annoying.

I guess the GTE mk 8 has improved this slightly.

Looks like I will probably keeping the GTE and hoping for the best when I comes to charging.

Also wanted to ask - the GTE Charges Type 7kw, can I use the type 43kw also?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, you will still get 210 hp from a GTE even if you never plug it in, because the engine keeps the battery topped up.

That said I concur with others on this forum - never charging a GTE is silly. You will not get good fuel economy. The fuel economy will probably be better than comparable high-performance petrol cars. My current commute (as infrequently as I do it) is about 20 miles there and 20 miles back, one 60 mph A road for half of it and a 70 mph dual carriageway for the rest, with no charging available at the office yet. Charging and pre-heating at home means I essentially get 80 mpg on the trip. It is a lot better than even some of the best diesels but has much more power so for instance on the NSL A road when you get stuck behind a slower vehicle you can make use of the available power to overtake quite easily.

The GTE offers excellent performance as the hybrid system fills in for dips in the turbo/ICE powertrain. After 30 mph it is roughly constant 210 hp to the top speed of the vehicle. Few cars can do that, even supercars have dips in the power output through gear changes. The DSG also takes advantage of the e-motor using it to speed up downshift and upshift by helping to revmatch the engine. I'd still take an ID.3 over it (will probably be my next car) because I don't want to burn petrol if possible.

Do you really have no where to charge it? Is it a lack of facility at home, because even a 13 amp plug through the kitchen window is better than not charging it. The parking at my current place backs onto the garden and I've put charging in there for my GTE.
Well At the moment I can charge from my flat, as my parking bay is literally 2 strides infront of my front door lol. But when I move back to my mums in sepetember times its all just street parking around the estate wherever you find. So there is no way I can charge even through a window, unless really obstructing the pathway and parking outside my mums kitchen lool or having a lead that is like 20m's long lol.

ID3 is cool if you can charge, but range anxiety lol, I was charging my GTE yesterday and I guy going to essex (im in Slough) was in a full e car (cant remember now) but he could get home because his battery was about to die. He wanted to use my 7kw but think his car took the 53kw, showed him where nearest was and hopefully he made it back, but thats what worries me about full E cars.

Thanks for all the info :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
No point using the 43kW charging points on a GTE, the vehicle has a 3.6kW onboard charger, and that's all it will ever do. And, the costs of the rapid chargers are extortionate if you don't make use of the rapid charging facility. Just don't bother.

It's good courtesy to allow a pure-EV driver to use a socket if you're driving a hybrid, if there aren't any others available. You have petrol -- he doesn't!

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,675 Posts
No point using the 43kW charging points on a GTE, the vehicle has a 3.6kW onboard charger, and that's all it will ever do. And, the costs of the rapid chargers are extortionate if you don't make use of the rapid charging facility. Just don't bother.

It's good courtesy to allow a pure-EV driver to use a socket if you're driving a hybrid, if there aren't any others available. You have petrol -- he doesn't!
The GTE doesn't have a CCS socket anyway, just type 2.

In the early days of the GTE there were a few people on here who never charged it. Yes, it isn't ideal, but if it's true that the depreciation is a lot less than an ICE Golf it might be worth it. Also, situations change and you might unexpectedly find yourself with a charging point at work on near home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Oh right I get ya. And yeh I gave him my charger, spoke for an hour about EV/Hybrid cards, and he told me it didnt charge, but im sure it did but his is a Full EV car so prob didnt do anything noticeable so then he asked for a rapid charging spot lol.

I dont think Im ready for Full EV yet, but deffo could do with 50-100 mile hybrid car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The GTE doesn't have a CCS socket anyway, just type 2.

In the early days of the GTE there were a few people on here who never charged it. Yes, it isn't ideal, but if it's true that the depreciation is a lot less than an ICE Golf it might be worth it. Also, situations change and you might unexpectedly find yourself with a charging point at work on near home.
Your right, this is how they sold it to me, saying your new Job (at Heathrow) maybe install charging points as the Airport is trying to go green or maybe I could try push for the idea and yeh not so bad. But also told the depreciation will be less then norma golfs. We will see lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts