·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah. Power or range it seems.
Yep, but a big difference. (23%) I don't understand why driven carefully the range shouldn't be similar, it's the same car and electric motors don't get less efficient just becuase they are more powerful. Different wheels might make 5% difference. Maybe the GTE holds a higher SOC in the battery for performance and so the 'usable' battery is smaller?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yep, but a big difference. (23%) I don't understand why driven carefully the range shouldn't be similar, it's the same car and electric motors don't get less efficient just becuase they are more powerful. Different wheels might make 5% difference. Maybe the GTE holds a higher SOC in the battery for performance and so the 'usable' battery is smaller?
That's what I was struggling with - assuming the figures are for the WLTP test or similar it seems like a huge difference. Good point that maybe the GTE does something different with its SOC management.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is it possible they are using a different engine for the eHybrid (Possibly the 1.0L instead of the 1.4L) and there for less weight resulting in longer electric range?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No both engines are the same.

In fact the eHybrid engine compartment looks identical to the Mk7/Mk7.5 engine compartment

And they use the outgoing 1.4 TSI that the Mk7.5 and Mk8 have replaced otherwise (in non hybrid form) with the 1.5 TSI

Obviously the R&D focus here has been on upgrading the battery - probably similar to the eGolf where the cells were replaced but everything else remained similar - increasing range by X amount.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My guess is eHybrid is not coming here because BIK doesn't make sense for most company car drivers, a big segment of the market.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My guess is eHybrid is not coming here because BIK doesn't make sense for most company car drivers, a big segment of the market.
Makes sense. Hopefully by the time I come to change my car there will be an EV on the market that will work for me, but even so it's a shame not to have maximum electric range on any PHEVs on the market

·
Registered
420 Posts
Red brake callipers?? NOOOOOOO!!! :).
Interesting - not a massive change from the 7.5 GTE in many ways.
I couldn't work out if there is still a GTE mode? The display seemed to just have E mode and Hybrid - no GTE, battery hold or battery charge? He talked about putting it into Sport mode when he was driving, but could not see what he was doing - not sure if this was equivalent to GTE mode, or related to suspension settings?
I assume the infotainment system and capacitive buttons are the same or similar to the ID3? Jury is out for me - before I bought my Astra H all the reviews said the switches and controls were terrible - I found them different but no better or worse. I will make my mind up when I am in the market for a new car.

I assume the charge port will be on the left hand side for RHD cars as well? Works for me if it is

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
GTE mode is replaced by the Sport Hybrid mode. That's always what GTE mode was anyway (you can tell because if you switch to E-mode, it briefly switches to Hybrid, then to pure E-mode on the dashboard indicator.)

IMO this is better because you can apply this to pure E-mode too. So you can have a GTE-style E-mode.

And remember the power output in Hybrid and Hybrid Sport (i.e. GTE mode) was always the same ~210 hp - you just needed to put your foot down hard in regular Hybrid mode to get the full power (past the point where the pedal clicks). All GTE mode did was make the pedal more responsive, reduce the brake and steering assist and disabled coast "engine stop" at speeds above about 40 mph. Oh, and it servoed the battery to about 12 miles range to sustain power output/boost behaviour.

What I find interesting is the engine compartment is the essentially the same as the Mk7 and Mk7.5 and the 1.4TSI is used, whereas the newer Golfs are all using 1.5TSI, so this is clearly only a battery upgrade and the fundamental engineering behind the car will only have had a minor looking at. This is a little disappointing, I would have liked to have seen the eHybrid with something like a 1.0 ~ 1.2L 3-cyl turbo, coupled to a 150hp E-motor to make it equivalent to the outgoing Mk7/7.5 GTE, this would also likely improve the fuel economy.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What I find interesting is the engine compartment is the essentially the same as the Mk7 and Mk7.5 and the 1.4TSI is used, whereas the newer Golfs are all using 1.5TSI, so this is clearly only a battery upgrade and the fundamental engineering behind the car will only have had a minor looking at. This is a little disappointing, I would have liked to have seen the eHybrid with something like a 1.0 ~ 1.2L 3-cyl turbo, coupled to a 150hp E-motor to make it equivalent to the outgoing Mk7/7.5 GTE, this would also likely improve the fuel economy.
Interesting, thanks. I wonder if VW only expect a short run for the GTE and eHybrid before discontinuing them, or expect to only sell small volumes. By sticking with the 1.4 they have saved a bunch of development work.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think with ID3 costing £24k in base trim, the writing is on the wall for PHEVs. Too expensive to make. That combined with governments recognising they're really difficult to tax: pure electric they're great but if you give them all the incentives, many people never plug them in and drive them like regular petrol hybrids. So they don't work in clean air zones.

For certain my next car will be pure EV. There is so much choice in 2020, and it should be even better in a year or two.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think you are right. For me the ID3 ticks a lot of boxes, hopefully there are a few more golf sized EVs in the works from other manufacturers.
I just wish the current fashion for SUVs would hurry up and go the way of people carriers.
fe nice if at least some manufacturers could find the time to homologate their EVs for towing as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
VW should have kept the signature C-shaped DRL's IMO.
No point in having blue accents on the car and red brake calipers. However the importer can spec the colour of the calipers. VW UK could bring in the GTE with blue calipers.
The SEAT Leon Hybrid appears to be better styling IMO, VW appear to have screwed up the styling for me. Not a true MK8, just an evolution of the MK7.5 technology and cosmetic tweaks, nothing radical, its more like a MK7.8.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts