Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have a Golf 8 GTE on order (due for delivery in April) and am curious about E-mode range. I've been keeping up with the forum but haven't seen any posts about the Mk 8 GTE range.

Volkswagen state a WLTP electric range of 32miles on their website, which seems low for the larger 13kWh battery. I see some of the Mk 7.5 GTE's with the 8kWh battery can achieve up to around 25 miles during summer. Is it realistic that we could expect the Mk 8, with a 50% larger batter to achieve 50% more range, taking it closer to 37miles during summer? Just doesn't seem to match up to the stated WLTP.

Would be interested to hear thoughts on this and I'll certainly be posting my real-world stats on this once the GTE arrives!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hi all!

I have a Golf 8 GTE on order (due for delivery in April) and am curious about E-mode range. I've been keeping up with the forum but haven't seen any posts about the Mk 8 GTE range.

Volkswagen state a WLTP electric range of 32miles on their website, which seems low for the larger 13kWh battery. I see some of the Mk 7.5 GTE's with the 8kWh battery can achieve up to around 25 miles during summer. Is it realistic that we could expect the Mk 8, with a 50% larger batter to achieve 50% more range, taking it closer to 37miles during summer? Just doesn't seem to match up to the stated WLTP.

Would be interested to hear thoughts on this and I'll certainly be posting my real-world stats on this once the GTE arrives!

Cheers
There is something slightly odd with the figures for mark 8 Golf PHEVs.

The mk 8 Golf e-hybrid (not available in UK) looks to have the same battery and powertrain as the mk 8 GTE, but has substantially higher WLTP electric range (more in line with the expected range increase over the mark 7.5 GTE due to battery size increase).

Be interesting to see what real world electric range you get.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Fairly sure both Mk8 e-hybrid and Mk8 GTE have the bigger battery? E-hybrid has the same powertrain as Mk7/7.5 GTE. And the Mk8 GTE has the same powertrain, but tuned for a bit more power, probably with more electric assistance.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Fairly sure both Mk8 e-hybrid and Mk8 GTE have the bigger battery? E-hybrid has the same powertrain as Mk7/7.5 GTE. And the Mk8 GTE has the same powertrain, but tuned for a bit more power, probably with more electric assistance.
That is what I thought, but the reported electric range is quite different for the two models

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This press release suggests 50 miles for eHybrid and 38 miles for GTE (NEDC not WLTP)

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Meanwhile this page suggests 44 miles and 40 miles, which sounds closer to the truth

I think your prediction is closer to the actual mark.
Bigger battery - Yes.
But, more weight of course.
I am going to take a new approach to this subject, rather than a GOM prediction, I am going with GUT prediction instead !.
40 miles is sitting nice without giving me too much gas here !.
If they have increase the power given to the electric motor for performance purposes, then the extra size of the battery will be consumed by this increase in power.
This could result in bringing the estimated range back down to around 32 miles, unless you drive it very carefully that is.
Any increase in electrical range has to be gratefully received, how and when you consume it is down to you !.
I think anybody who has owned a GTE would have liked a little more range.
The same could be said of any EV of course, but the GTE is likely to be the first step into the world of electric propulsion and new owners like what they feel.
The hunger to want more range in a PHEV - firmly places you on the first step to wanting a full BEV for your NEXT car.
It is an addictive habit that is very difficult to kick off.
For most ( like myself ) I started getting the cravings for a full BEV very quickly after owning the GTE.
I fought the battle bravely for over four years, but in the end I was won over by the dark side of the force and accepted my destiny !.
You can fight it, but I am sorry to say that the fight is total futile in the end, when the EV bug bites your in the arse, you are totally doomed !.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Agree with all of that. If there was an EV that met my requirements I would be looking to go EV, but until then the GTE is great to own and drive.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've had my mk8 GTE since just before Christmas, and unfortunately not had much time to drive it, but when it's fully charged it is showing 32 miles on the gom. There is a definite step up in terms of performance from the 7.5, and is comparable to the Octavia vrs 245 that I had previously.
What sort of actual range are you getting? GOM on my mk 7.5 is showing 24 miles when full charged at the moment so 32 miles is a good step up, just be interesting to see the real world range comparison. I am getting about 18 miles actual range at the moment when I take it slow (mostly 30 and 40 zones with a couple of miles of 60).

·
Registered
9 Posts
What sort of actual range are you getting? GOM on my mk 7.5 is showing 24 miles when full charged at the moment so 32 miles is a good step up, just be interesting to see the real world range comparison. I am getting about 18 miles actual range at the moment when I take it slow (mostly 30 and 40 zones with a couple of miles of 60).
As I said I've not driven it to much, but mid 20's seems fairly easy to achieve. My work is 10 miles each way, so I will be able to see what it does better next week.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Heavy consumption in the winter, is like the devils own work, it consumes all in its path !.
It is the same when driving an EV or a ICE in the winter months, you just can’t win.
The HV battery is naturally small in a PHEV and therefore the battery drain is very noticeable.
However, you do have the luxury of a ICE back up.
With a pure EV you may have a lot more range on tap, but that’s all you have.
Plus the drain can be constant, unless you turn down the load required by the heater of course.
The GTE has assisted heat supplied to the cabin by the hot water from the cooling system, when the ICE is up to working temperature.
Not so with an EV the only way the drain can be reduced is by easing the demand.
On a longer journey this possible because the interior space gets toasty quickly with an electric heater, but on multiple short trips, the battery drain is high.
The summer is not just welcomed by our bodies, but by our HV batteries and in turn our wallets !.
Some thing we have to live with I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, fully charged the car at work today, showing 29 on the gom, it was very cold! Had to go home via a shop to pick something up, total miles driven, 14, miles left on the gom? 17. Very impressed. This is around Milton Keynes as well, so lots of 60 and 70 mph roads and many roundabouts.

That will conformably get me the 10 miles to work in the morning.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well, fully charged the car at work today, showing 29 on the gom, it was very cold! Had to go home via a shop to pick something up, total miles driven, 14, miles left on the gom? 17. Very impressed. This is around Milton Keynes as well, so lots of 60 and 70 mph roads and many roundabouts.

That will conformably get me the 10 miles to work in the morning.
That is good news. I am currently getting around 16 electric mile from a fully charged GOM indicating 21 miles.

·
Registered
189 Posts
An Ampera/Volt will do 30 miles in the winter on a 10.5kWh usable battery (16.5kWh total). If the new Golf is 13kWh usable I'd expect it'd be able to do 35 miles or so in winter and maybe between 50 and 60 in summer (Ampera will do between 40 and 50miles in ideal conditions).

·
Registered
9 Posts
An Ampera/Volt will do 30 miles in the winter on a 10.5kWh usable battery (16.5kWh total). If the new Golf is 13kWh usable I'd expect it'd be able to do 35 miles or so in winter and maybe between 50 and 60 in summer (Ampera will do between 40 and 50miles in ideal conditions).
Maybe so, but you'd have to drive a Vauxhall and nobody wants to do that.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the new golf is 13kWh total, closer to 12kWh usable, so not expecting much more than high 30's at the most. Saying that, I'm pretty happy with that, especially with it being my first dip into a hybrid car! My commute is around 50 miles, so won't quite stretch to full E-mode on the way in, but with charging at home and at work, should make a good dent on the fuel bill!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts