·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I didn't post this on the GTE thread

"
Volkswagen Golf eHybrid is entry-level PHEV from £32,995
Plug-in hybrid hatchback arrives with 201bhp, up to 235mpg and 44 miles of electric-only range

Initially offered in entry-level Style trim, the eHybrid is positioned below the 242bhp Golf GTE. Autocar initially understood the lower-powered PHEV was reserved for other markets, but it's now being offered here as part of a drive to appeal to the lucrative fleet market.
"

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
It is a GTE powertrain but in a lower spec trimmed car. ;) At least it isn't the mild Hybrid ...

In all seriousness, I wonder whether the difference is just software controls and, if so, whether VW were rating for ratification that their system to prevent unauthorised software upgrades is legal in the UK?

·
2quidforhalfanhour
391 Posts
Smart move- not everyone wants a gt version.
5.5k more than a normal auto, just got to ask is it worth the extra?
Time you've added metallic and nicer wheels you're pushing 35k, still an awful lot of money.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
So I didn't post this on the GTE thread

"
Volkswagen Golf eHybrid is entry-level PHEV from £32,995
Plug-in hybrid hatchback arrives with 201bhp, up to 235mpg and 44 miles of electric-only range

Initially offered in entry-level Style trim, the eHybrid is positioned below the 242bhp Golf GTE. Autocar initially understood the lower-powered PHEV was reserved for other markets, but it's now being offered here as part of a drive to appeal to the lucrative fleet market.
"
IIRC the Golf 8 GTE has less electric range (38 miles).

VW were quoting 49 miles range for the eHybrid, now dropped it seems to 44 miles, but still better than the GTE.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
5.5k more than a normal auto, just got to ask is it worth the extra?
There's the intangible green credentials and possible benefits of being allowed in ULEZ. A significant number of people do the majority of their journeys for distances under 10 miles but have some weird belief that they "must have" the ability to drive for 300 miles without stopping and hence feel that EVs are not yet suitable for them, but this would suit them. I guess they buy new cars "because they can" rather than on fiscal logic so this as a lease car would make sense.
As an example I have two colleagues with ICE who recently took out new three year leases - one had managed under 6,000 and the under under 7,000 miles in three years. o_O They rarely go beyond 10 miles but claim the need to be able to drive across the country at no notice (hence renting isn't an option). They think I'm the odd one doing 25,000 miles per year in an EV with "only" 100 miles range.

·
2quidforhalfanhour
391 Posts
I actually understand and can see the benefits (and downsides) of a PHEV.
In my case one would do my work commute easily, and then an odd time a longer run without any public charging worries.
In Leeds a full EV gives me free parking (at least for the time being), but now since covid I only go into work for 1 day a week, so I suppose in both those senses an EV isn't saving me money like it used to.
35k for a car just isn't my idea of money well spent, but I can see how someone lucky enough to take advantage of BIK could save a lot of money by doing their research.
Of course one might argue a full EV is greener, and since they can be had cheaper than a PHEV now, I just don't see how for the majority of normal punters how paying the extra for a plug in is worth it financially.
At the moment I'm keeping my powder dry and waiting to see which way prices are heading before I commit.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had I had the choice of this one or the pure GTE, 4 years back, I would have gone for this one.
Some aspects of the GTE were too GTI like , that I did not need.
(Theft level, suspension, didn't really like the wheels)

I would hope the typical user will get 38-42 real miles in Apollo13 mode out of this one.
I would have loved that .. pers best in my 4mode 2016GTE was 26real.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts