Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd imagine the extra pollution comes from the extra weight of the mild hybrid system and DSG gearbox

·
Registered
249 Posts
Its an auto gearbox, decides when to change for you. Will never have the potential of a manual gearbox, one more reason to go electric!

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
Perhaps the question to ask (apart from why a 48v mild hybrid at all) is what would the 1.5 TSI emissions and mpg be with the DSG box minus the Hybrid setup?

I expect that the way VW have implemented their mild hybrid system on the Golf 8 requires the DSG box. Perhaps it’s like the GTE, with an electric motor between the engine and DSG box to do the starting and electrical assistance.

There must be a reason, otherwise why bother, unless it’s to join the ‘Hybrid’ sales train with something outside of the plugin GTE.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
There must be a reason, otherwise why bother, unless it’s to join the ‘Hybrid’ sales train with something outside of the plugin GTE.
@Tooks That will be a YES.
I maybe missing something here, but I can’t see any major advantage of offering this mild hybrid model either ?.
Other than making it easier to achieve the tougher emission levels that is ( My Bad ).

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
@Tooks - I think that you have answered your own question. I can see no need for a mild hybrid to need any form of auto box. By definition a mild hybrid cannot move the car under electric power alone, so the new mild hybrid Golf is not exactly a GTE with a smaller battery.

The ICE has to be run at the same speed as the electric motor so the only advantage that I can see of the automatic is to allow for automatic downshifts to maximise recuperation. Perhaps the benefits of the mild hybrid are so negligible that is the true reason?

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
I must admit to having no knowledge of the Golf 8 mild hybrid system, I’ll be honest and say I also have very little interest in it!

The schematic above is the first one I’ve seen for it, and again I’m struggling to see any benefit.

One would hope it isn’t the marketing folks asking the VW engineers to ‘do a Toyota’, but that seems to be the way of the world at the moment.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Ditto.

And in defence of Toyota, it is nothing like a good as the hybrid synergy drive despite the many issues with that.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I guess there must be some marketing driven advantage for this car to even exist. Exactly what is as per above posts, not very obvious.

One thing is fairly sure though, dealers will "charge" an arm and a leg to service and repair it.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I must admit to having no knowledge of the Golf 8 mild hybrid system, I’ll be honest and say I also have very little interest in it!
I feel the very same way !.
What type of driver would this type of system work for ?.
I am struggling on an answer.
Again, I have no understanding of the system, so therefore I am not in a position to pre-judge it really.
I must admit, my interest had crashed and burnt, as soon as the word “Mild Hybrid” was mentioned.
To me, if you are looking to move up from a regular petrol or oil burner, then you have to be leaning towards either a plug-in hybrid or better still a full BEV these days !.
Self charging ( so called ) or mild hybrids are already “Old School” by now.
At least 5 years to late.
Just a way of stalling for time by the manufactures.
Slowing down the mass adoption of EV’s really.
Hanging on to that fossil tech for as long as humanly possible .
They see the beginning of the end looming on the horizon for them big profit making ICE units.
Every new EV that is released with an increased range, puts another nail in the coffin of the fossil fuelled cars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Seems to me the answers lie between the cracks. Why would you purchase a car with higher emissions and possibly move to a higher tax band (if not now then later) when cheaper alternatives are there? Also the mpg - is this done on the WLTP basis for show, while real world might prove more impressive? All very odd. The real meaning must surely be that this is the emissions "halo" car. There to satisfy the need to reduce the group emissions target. Flog them to dealers, drop a few incentives in and rock on. Immediate problem solved.
As pointed out by those here, with apologies for generalising, it appears to be a pretty daft concept.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Apparently the mild hybrid fills in the gaps in the power delivery and improves the stop-start experience. Frankly I agree that this is a halo car, but it seems to have fallen very short of the mark.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,112 Posts
This is so that they can say that they are offering an affordable 'electrified' model.

It's a bit rum that its test emissions are rubbish, though!

I'll bet that it still counts as an electric vehicle for compliance purposes.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I'll bet that it still counts as an electric vehicle for compliance purposes.
Why would it? It has no plug, so it shouldn't count however efficient it is.

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
It can’t be an emissions compliance car, because officially it emits more than the non mild hybrid 1.5TSI.

It’s as much use as a chocolate fire guard from that perspective.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
It can’t be an emissions compliance car, because officially it emits more than the non mild hybrid 1.5TSI.

It’s as much use as a chocolate fire guard from that perspective.
Yeah - Like the ash tray I had fitted on one of my motor bikes.
What is the point ! o_O.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Then again from what I have heard the 330e is a terrible PHEV to begin with
That that maybe very true, but I have see enough of them taking up nearly all of the charging posts at a large shopping centre, sipping on that free juice and blocking the parking space ALL bloody day !.
Charge your car - YES !.
Move it after a couple of hours when it will be fully charged - YES !.
Selfish sod's.
I previously owned a plugging hybrid for over 4 years before my BEV and I could never seen the point of using public charging post, when I had enough fossil fuel to get home !.
Just charged every night at home.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts