Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This is my first post.

I am seriously considering purchasing a VW Golf 7 GTE. I never previously considered a EV or PHEV as I prescribed to the myths about range & batteries needing replacement etc. Then I stumbled across the GTE. I've always owned performance variants of cars and here was a electric vehicle with all the benefits which looked like a normal Golf GTI / GTD and had the performance(ish) and range when required. Embracing the EV revolution appeals to the tech geek in me & performance hybrid technology with things like KERS & flappy paddles excites the F1 Fanboy in me. I love the idea of a GTE button when desired. My cousin also has an Audi eTron which impressed me.

I have done the maths & at least 95% (probably more) of my driving is now short journeys well within the GTE electric range. The rest is distance 100mile+ day trips/ weeks / weekends away with the family.

So the GTE ticks all the boxes except... I have a family of 4. My kids are 5 & 9 so out of pushchairs but still in booster seats. I currently own an Octavia VRS TDI so as you can imagine, the thing that is really stopping me making a purchase of a GTE is boot space.

I've always known the Golf being described as a practical family car. The GTE also appears to have the same capacity as the standard Golf with the false floor in the highest position. However I am spoiled by the cavernous boot in my VRS - Admittedly I rarely fill it up anymore, but I'm afraid I may miss it. Though I wouldn't have DPF anxiety I guess.

Are there any families out there with a GTE who can advise me how they get on with things like a weekly shop, trips to B&Q or IKEA and Staycation Holidays? Any experiences using a roof box? Pictures of a loaded boot would be great or is it just me who takes them to remember how everything fit in?

I have searched the internet and this website which has been helpful but I can't find much info or experiences from family owners.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Get a Passat GTE which has the same drivetrain and performance in either saloon or estate format, both of which have more space than the Golf.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Was going to say the same as John. The Passat GTE has exactly the same powertrain and a slightly larger battery (though due to the vehicle's size/weight, range is similar to the Golf.) There's definitely good legroom in the back, but it's a small family hatchback.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies but a Passat doesn't appeal to me like a Golf does. It doesn't tempt me away from my Octy VRS. I like the Hot or at least warm Hatch vibes of the Golf.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
210 hp in a Passat still makes for a powerful vehicle.

Admittedly the handling is probably not quite as good as the Golf, but it's still a nimble car and with good tyres and an attentive driver could easily keep up with a Golf GTE.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
727 Posts
You sure you want to maintain a petrol engine for 5% of your journeys? Servicing, oil, cambelts, spark plugs, exhaust, clutch etc etc. Couple of rapid charges when you stop for a break with your kids on longer trips and you could easily go full EV.

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
425 Posts
The boot is the only thing that niggles me slightly on mine. It's OK for a weekly shop for a family of four, but going away for a long weekend with a young family, I think you'd struggle without a roof-box, or some ingenious packing of the cabin.

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
Of course the Golf is a family car, heck even an Austin 1300 used to take 5 of us on holiday and was the family workhorse back in the day!

I ran one for 4 years and 90k miles, it did everything I ever needed it to. I had a removable tow bar with a bike rack for bike transport, I had a pair of roof bars and a roof box for anything where the boot couldn’t cope. A trip to France where it came back loaded with wine was such an occasion!

It’s nice to have more space, but you need to ask yourself how often you genuinely need it?

I ran a tuning box on mine for most of the time I had it, made it even quicker for the GTE button times.

All that said, I think from what you’ve said on how you use a car, a full electric car could work very well for you as well, and without any long term complexities with hybrid drivetrains to worry about.

I hear the Model 3 SR+ is quite good, I’m sure somebody will be along to recommend one shortly... 😉

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
727 Posts
All that said, I think from what you’ve said on how you use a car, a full electric car could work very well for you as well, and without any long term complexities with hybrid drivetrains to worry about.
This! I wouldnt like to own a GTE out of warranty!

COme on over to the EGolf party. We have cookies

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am in a similar situation to you. One 8 year old child, 99% of my journeys are in electric range, most of the other 1% are 250 miles+ and involve a roof box and / or a boat trailer.

The GTE boot is small having come from an Astra. Definitely need the roof box for family holidays. Charging cables also take up a bit of space in the boot.

Overall, brilliant car, great fun to drive, but would not want to own it without a warranty.

Owning an electric car for the 99% and hiring a Chelsea tractor with a tow bar for the 1% might make financial sense, but I would rather avoid the hassle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some great replies thanks. I guess I will need that roof box then. Not sure I am ready to make that leap to full electric just yet. Like the Hybrid idea so I have ICE when needed. But I'll take a look at the eGolf.

Is the GTE unreliable? As a few have suggested they would not like one out of Warranty.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The GTE is a much more complex car than an equivalent sized EV and in my experience, and as shown on this forum, less reliable.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm an Ampera owner, but in a similar situation to you. I had a Passat estate but got the Amp last March. Always had a roof box & tow bar bike rack with the Passat. The wife was complaining initially about lack of space (from about 600L down to 300L), but by this stage (5 and 7 at the time) the kids don't need strollers, sterilisers, etc. We do 2 or 3 staycations per year, and the Ampera has been absolutely great. We really don't need the space of the Passat. It goes to show how much crap the wife packed on our staycations. I guess each family has their personal circumstances, but I've not looked back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm an Ampera owner, but in a similar situation to you. I had a Passat estate but got the Amp last March. Always had a roof box & tow bar bike rack with the Passat. The wife was complaining initially about lack of space (from about 600L down to 300L), but by this stage (5 and 7 at the time) the kids don't need strollers, sterilisers, etc. We do 2 or 3 staycations per year, and the Ampera has been absolutely great. We really don't need the space of the Passat. It goes to show how much crap the wife packed on our staycations. I guess each family has their personal circumstances, but I've not looked back.
It is the wife that will suffer more than me with the reduced boot space 🤣

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think the GTE is complex rather than unreliable. Mine is coming up to 3 years old, owned it for the last two. If it does go wrong it is likely to be expensive, partly cos it is complex, partly cos it is a VW.

If you look at any car forum you will find horror stories for the cars they cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the GTE is complex rather than unreliable. Mine is coming up to 3 years old, owned it for the last two. If it does go wrong it is likely to be expensive, partly cos it is complex, partly cos it is a VW.

If you look at any car forum you will find horror stories for the cars they cover.
I know, it's like searching the internet for symptoms when you a feeling slightly ill!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I’ve owned my GTE from new and it’s a July 2015 model. I don’t think my family of four have given any other car as much usage and ‘abusage’ as this one and it‘s just fine. Kids are now 13 and 11 so we’ve been through the full back booster phase and are out the other side.

We camp at least twice a year with a large tent on the roof, cool box and stove in the boot and luggage stuffed everywhere else it will fit. We also do regular runs to the Alps with boards and skis on the roof and kit again stuffed elsewhere. It is tight and our mk5 Golf had a bigger boot but this is a much better car to drive especially on long open roads.
The roof box size and style will help I’m sure. We have the Thule Ranger 90 as it goes in the loft when not in use and have become masters of fitting stuff like a game of Tetris.

I don’t think the GTE is unreliable but is certainly complex and I wouldn’t run one without a warranty. As I’ve mentioned on other threads I had planned to buy an EV and had hoped the market would be flooded with options but it’s not quite there hence the additional year of ownership.

·
Registered
351 Posts
What puts you off going full electric? The only thing I would change about the GTE is to have more electric range. It has definitely been a gateway car for me - if it was not for the tow bar I would definitely consider an egolf (it may not have GTE mode, but I think it has a bigger electric motor than the GTE - 'making progress' in the GTE is fun in electric mode so a bigger electric motor should be even better). The ID3 would also appeal bar the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What puts you off going full electric? The only thing I would change about the GTE is to have more electric range. It has definitely been a gateway car for me - if it was not for the tow bar I would definitely consider an egolf (it may not have GTE mode, but I think it has a bigger electric motor than the GTE - 'making progress' in the GTE is fun in electric mode so a bigger electric motor should be even better). The ID3 would also appeal bar the price.
The fact I can't quite grow up and let go of the boy racer in me. Like I mentioned in my first post, I've always had sports varients of cars. I know it's questionable whether my diesel VRS or even a GTE is a "hot hatch" but I still like to have sporty sounding letters on my boot lid. Also, I guess you've covered it, A GTE would be a gateway car.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,080 Posts
The fact I can't quite grow up and let go of the boy racer in me. Like I mentioned in my first post, I've always had sports varients of cars. I know it's questionable whether my diesel VRS or even a GTE is a "hot hatch" but I still like to have sporty sounding letters on my boot lid. Also, I guess you've covered it, A GTE would be a gateway car.
Go to Halfords and buy some sticky letters. Put as many on the back of your car as you like. At the end of the day nothing beats the acceleration you get in a Full EV and you can beat almost any hot hatch you want to race at the traffic lights. You can have a fair bit of fun in everyday driving, and you very quickly learn to enjoy the fact that you're not making noise too.

I'd probably say test drive a full EV model before you write it off as an option then if you're still sure it's not for you then you have the GTE to fall back onto.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts