Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have had my 7.5 GTE Advance for about 3 months now and I really love the car. The one concern I have is that the fuel range I am getting is around 330 miles on a full tank? Is this normal as i have seen a few people getting 500+ on a full tank. I charge the car and drive in ev or hybrid for the majority of my driving (I live in milton keynes so the roundabouts make B mode fun). The car is from a main dealer and I still have the warranty. Do I contact them first, or does anyone on here know why this could be happening. I am filling up every week and it makes me think if it was wirth even buying it

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It's only a 40L tank, compared to the more typical 50 or 60L in some cars, because the hybrid battery takes up the space under the rear bench that would normally be used for the fuel tank. 330 miles on a tank implies 8.25mi/L or about 5.1km/L or in silly British units, about 31 mpg - which does seem rather low.

However, if you are just looking at the 'range remaining' indicator, remember that for petrol cars it is typically very pessimistic, assuming worst case driving. You can see the 'distance from last refuel' in the instrument cluster by going to the 'Distance' page then pressing the 'OK' button briefly to switch through the options (don't hold it as this will reset the tripmeters.) I'm at over 450 miles and I've still got over half a tank left. That's an average fuel economy in the 80+ mpg range; I don't have charging at work and a 40 mile commute (20 miles there, 20 back), and I don't drive like a granny.

Remember, to get best benefit from the GTE:
  • You must charge it whenever you can, and even better, charge it on off-peak electricity.

• Once you get to somewhere with charging facility, assuming you can stop for more than 2-3 hours, then aim to arrive at that destination with zero miles range. On the Mk7.5 GTE, if you program a destination in the satnav, it -should- do this automatically for you on 'hybrid' mode. Otherwise, on Mk7, you need to judge when to switch to E-mode.

• If you don't have charging at one end of your destination (e.g. in my case, I don't have it at the office, but I do have it at home) then it's probably better to save the charge for the return journey. Start in electric, get to 80% charge level, then switch to hybrid, arrive at your destination with say 20 miles of range, then return home on electricity if you can. There are lots of sciency reasons for this, but the main idea is the engine will work better when it's hot, so use it more for one half than the other, and starting in electric and running down to 80% gives you a buffer for the regen braking system which improves efficiency. And you don't want to be low on range for the return journey, as the car doesn't offer the same performance in hybrid with a flat battery, and may try to charge it up, burning extra fuel.

• Don't use the 'battery charge' feature, it burns fuel excessively. Better to just use the engine to drive the wheels if you can.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is so, so much written about electric range on this forum!

I think the best tip of all is to always arrive home with 0 showing on the electric range gauge. If you have been on hybrid and the range is showing 5 miles when you are 5 miles from home turn on to electric only mode.

You are doing about 35 mpg. Not good. What are you doing?

On a recent 157 mile journey with my Mk8 GTE I averaged 67 mpg (plus one charge of electricity which cost the equivalent of 1 litre of petrol).

The last time I filled up I had done 1021 miles and put in 26.94 litres of petrol. To be fair a high proportion of my journeys have been less than 30 miles so have been done mostly on electric.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's only a 40L tank, compared to the more typical 50 or 60L in some cars, because the hybrid battery takes up the space under the rear bench that would normally be used for the fuel tank. 330 miles on a tank implies 8.25mi/L or about 5.1km/L or in silly British units, about 31 mpg - which does seem rather low.

However, if you are just looking at the 'range remaining' indicator, remember that for petrol cars it is typically very pessimistic, assuming worst case driving. You can see the 'distance from last refuel' in the instrument cluster by going to the 'Distance' page then pressing the 'OK' button briefly to switch through the options (don't hold it as this will reset the tripmeters.) I'm at over 450 miles and I've still got over half a tank left. That's an average fuel economy in the 80+ mpg range; I don't have charging at work and a 40 mile commute (20 miles there, 20 back), and I don't drive like a granny.

Remember, to get best benefit from the GTE:
  • You must charge it whenever you can, and even better, charge it on off-peak electricity.

• Once you get to somewhere with charging facility, assuming you can stop for more than 2-3 hours, then aim to arrive at that destination with zero miles range. On the Mk7.5 GTE, if you program a destination in the satnav, it -should- do this automatically for you on 'hybrid' mode. Otherwise, on Mk7, you need to judge when to switch to E-mode.

• If you don't have charging at one end of your destination (e.g. in my case, I don't have it at the office, but I do have it at home) then it's probably better to save the charge for the return journey. Start in electric, get to 80% charge level, then switch to hybrid, arrive at your destination with say 20 miles of range, then return home on electricity if you can. There are lots of sciency reasons for this, but the main idea is the engine will work better when it's hot, so use it more for one half than the other, and starting in electric and running down to 80% gives you a buffer for the regen braking system which improves efficiency. And you don't want to be low on range for the return journey, as the car doesn't offer the same performance in hybrid with a flat battery, and may try to charge it up, burning extra fuel.

• Don't use the 'battery charge' feature, it burns fuel excessively. Better to just use the engine to drive the wheels if you can.
What I can do is next time I fill my car up I will record how many miles I managed to do on the previous tank and see if the trip info is more accurate than the fuel range itself. My since refuelling last time I checked was around 46mpg. I can give your tips a go as I mostly use Waze on the apple car play, I havent even tried the factory fitted nav.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is so, so much written about electric range on this forum!

I think the best tip of all is to always arrive home with 0 showing on the electric range gauge. If you have been on hybrid and the range is showing 5 miles when you are 5 miles from home turn on to electric only mode.

You are doing about 35 mpg. Not good. What are you doing?

On a recent 157 mile journey with my Mk8 GTE I averaged 67 mpg (plus one charge of electricity which cost the equivalent of 1 litre of petrol).

The last time I filled up I had done 1021 miles and put in 26.94 litres of petrol. To be fair a high proportion of my journeys have been less than 30 miles so have been done mostly on electric.
I do drive a lot on e mode and hybrid and I end up fully depleting my battery range. I will look into recording my drives and looking for the trends and update the forum

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,672 Posts
Hey guys, so I have had my 7.5 GTE Advance for about 3 months now and I really love the car. The one concern I have is that the fuel range I am getting is around 330 miles on a full tank? Is this normal as i have seen a few people getting 500+ on a full tank. I charge the car and drive in ev or hybrid for the majority of my driving (I live in milton keynes so the roundabouts make B mode fun). The car is from a main dealer and I still have the warranty. Do I contact them first, or does anyone on here know why this could be happening. I am filling up every week and it makes me think if it was wirth even buying it
Try driving really gently for a couple of days and see what difference it makes.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying about fuel economy "It's not what you drive, it's how you drive".

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,863 Posts
Try driving really gently for a couple of days and see what difference it makes.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying about fuel economy "It's not what you drive, it's how you drive".
Precisely, and in one "test" he followed a Prius being ragged around their test track by the Stig in a BMW M3 and achieved 30 MPG against the Prius's 19 MPG. Obviously the conclusion was that the M3 was a more environmentally friendly car .....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have just had my GTE Advance 3 weeks (still decidibg whether to swap for petty golf or a T cross) now, and drove in Electric mode and got 21 miles, then drove with no battery and just petrol engine and got 330 miles to the tank, and this all town driving literally no motorway, if any M4 junction 4 to 5 thats it. Last filled up full tank on 8th may costing £47. I have been trying to charge it most days putting it on Hybrid, still same town driving not far at all start stop gym and back, work and back, shops and back all in Slough, and so far I got just over half a tank still (19th May ) saying around 250 miles left, but costing me £1.20 a day to charge (if I find a spot) = £36 a month + £47 full tank of fuel = £83 a month so guess not bad, IFFF I charge everyday which is not convenient most times. I think I was doing £130 a month in Diesel but all town driving again so no good for Diesels.

But if your still getting low 30 mpg WHILE charging every night then somethings wrong.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,672 Posts
I have just had my GTE Advance 3 weeks (still decidibg whether to swap for petty golf or a T cross) now, and drove in Electric mode and got 21 miles, then drove with no battery and just petrol engine and got 330 miles to the tank, and this all town driving literally no motorway, if any M4 junction 4 to 5 thats it. Last filled up full tank on 8th may costing £47. I have been trying to charge it most days putting it on Hybrid, still same town driving not far at all start stop gym and back, work and back, shops and back all in Slough, and so far I got just over half a tank still (19th May ) saying around 250 miles left, but costing me £1.20 a day to charge (if I find a spot) = £36 a month + £47 full tank of fuel = £83 a month so guess not bad, IFFF I charge everyday which is not convenient most times. I think I was doing £130 a month in Diesel but all town driving again so no good for Diesels.

But if your still getting low 30 mpg WHILE charging every night then somethings wrong.
The OP lives in Milton Keynes which has roundabouts every few hundred yards. I worked in MK and had a MINI Cooper at the time, and basically the temptation is to accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake repeatedly between roundabouts. That absolutely kills fuel economy.

The trick with the GTE is to accelerate slowly enough that the ICE doesn’t kick in, and when it does (on motorway runs) to just drive really gently. You should be seeing over 50mpg.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
330e owner here, same sort of small battery phev like the GTe. I also get a range of 390 or so when full, but it’s mostly rubbish unless you’re not charging it at all. I charge once at night and most of the time at work too, so over the course of the 40 litre tank I’ll always end up over 800 miles, how near I get to more depends on how it’s driven. As others have said too, with small batteries it’s even more important to drive fairly considerately when you’re on electric as you’d soon see that range disappear, quickly!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts