Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to everything EV, so please forgive me if these is a novice question....but having had my 2018 GTE Advance ofr a month I am concerned that after a full charge the range has shown as little as 12 miles and as much as 23, significantly below the VW stated 31 miles.

Has anyone experienced similar?
Does any one know if I doing something wrong, or if there's something switched on/off that is affecting the range?

Any help, advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,158 Posts
31 Miles is based on ideal circumstances, likely achieved only in testing lab conditions.

Before we even get into the effects of battery degradation over time, there are all sorts of other factors including your driving style, speed, tyre pressures, the temperature, wind and rain, use of heating or AC etc. that would all harm your efficiency and give you less range in the real world. You're not the first person to make such a discovery, and certainly won't be the last.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, so its not me then, not doing or doing something adversely affecting the range other than driving the car?

I will lower my expectations accordingly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What kind of routes are you driving, and how much fun do you have? At the risk of stating the obvious, you'll go a lot further going 20mph than 70mph, and going up hills makes it even worse.

Have a look in the Range Monitor in the e-displays part of the infotainment thingy, it can give hints about what you can switch off to increase EV range if you're worried.

Have a look at the Think Blue trainer, it might give you an idea of whether the short range is down to lead boot syndrome.

The local weather report is also useful to check, cold = bad.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Doing several short trips & stopping for an hour or so between is also bad. You'll only get near the mfr's optimistic figures in ideal conditions (summer, no heating/aircon, warm, dry roads, gentle acceleration, max speed kept low as poss). At this time of year, batteries generally hold less charge to begin with thx to low temps, and the car may well use some of the battery capacity to heat the battery itself up to a nice operating temp (around 20C) as you set out.

If you can precondition the car so it's all nice & toasty warm just as you leave the house, that should help with both these issues. But allow time for the car to be refilled as preconditioning may use juice faster than the EVSE can supply it! Also read up in the Volkswagen section, sure to be lots of discussion of this particular Phev there. On my Ampera you can precondition twice before a trip, which gets the cabin really nice & warm, Don't know if GTe is like that, but you can always move the car an inch or 2 to fake a trip, then do another precondition if it helps!

Another trick I do is only heat the cabin when petrol's being used, and shut it off when selecting electric drive. That way you keep all your scarce electrons for motive power. Drawback is the faff, and suffering a cooling cabin in EV mode! Also, wife may not like the temperature varying from toasty-warm tropical down towards icy-toes/fingers/nose! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Extensively covered on the GTE forums but having previously owned one I can say 23 miles on GOM is typical. When looking at the estimated range make sure climate control, heated seats, heated mirrors, etc are off. This will add about 6 miles to the estimate. Great car, had for 3 years, never saw more than 27 miles on GOM from new and everything electric switched off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts