Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that in the peak of summer the air con in my '65 GTE with 72,000 miles, is starting to feel weaker.

The air conditioning is still cool, but when it's hot outside the fan needs to be on full blast and the cooling effect isn't as good. Even when driving for some time, the air con gets a little cooler, but doesn't feel quite as good as it was when I first got the car.

One thing I noticed is that in 28C heat today, the static consumption of the car on max A/C was 1600W. But, last year, it was about 3000W. Assuming the car has a 'base load' of around 400W, this means the air conditioning system is only pulling 1200W now, when it used to be 2600W. So roughly halving of the system power.

What I don't know about the GTE is whether the car can monitor the efficiency of the A/C system and it has determined that the gas charge has reduced and it is reducing the power/load on the air conditioning system. I wonder if there is any way to read this information from the vehicle?

Has anyone had this service done on their vehicle? Will any garage be able to do it, as the vehicle is a hybrid/electric with an electric A/C system?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Hi @tom66 .
If I recall correctly, VW recommend a A/C service every two years.
It conveniently ( for the dealers ) sits between the recommended brake fluid change every two years !.
So, first A/C at two years, then first brake fluid change at three years, then every two years after that.
Either way, when you present the car for it annual service, you will get stuffed for one or the other, that's how they roll !.
On the A/C service I think they replace the cabin filter and check the cooling gas pressure.
Just a though, have you had your cabin filter replaced ?.
If this is restricted, could this be the reason why you now find yourself having to use a higher fan speed now ?.
Worth considering first maybe:unsure:.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts