Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2017 (67) GTE Advance through work on Salary Sacrifice. I've recently received notification that my Tax Code has changed for 2020/21. I've checked online and it would appear that the GTE has dropped from its 16% BIK for 2019/20.

My understanding is that the GTE's electrical range is determined from NEDC tests (i.e. 31 miles) and therefore for 2020/21 should be 12% BIK. The notification I've had from HMRC is that the GTE is 14% BIK.

I've tried to amend this online, but today got notification that its reverted to the 14% for 2020/21.

Has anyone else got a GTE through work that can check if its 12% or 14% BIK?

·
Registered
20 Posts
14% is correct as they have re-adjusted the range on the Mk7/7.5 GTE. I believe the Mk8 will be lower due to the longer e-range.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14% is correct as they have re-adjusted the range on the Mk7/7.5 GTE. I believe the Mk8 will be lower due to the longer e-range.
This seems strange to me as my car, a Mk 7.5 as produced in 2017, was never tested on the WLTP cycle and I would have expected the range be based on the achievable NEDC rating. I'd be really annoyed if I had a Mk 7 and it was retrospectively tested against a much tougher test.

The guidance i'd read states 'BIK rates based on current NEDC-derived CO2 data, for cars registered on or before 5th April 2020'. I could understand it being based on WLTP if it was reg'd after 5th April 2020, but as it was reg'd in Sep 2017 it surely has to be based on the only test the car has been through - NEDC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is what is in the latest VW brochure for the GTE.

From 2020/21, the BIK percentages for zero emission cars will reduce from 16% to 2%, whilst BEV/PHEV cars with CO2 emissions between 1-50g/km will vary between 2% and 14%, depending on the electric range (miles).

The 1-29 range which it now falls in means 14%.

I do understand and agree with what you are saying and it should be as what it was originally tested at but trying to convince the Tax office is another matter. I get mine on the 27th March so in theory it would also fall under the old test too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whilst we all know that the GTE doesn't have a 31 mile range - i've never seen anything printed that confirms what its WLTP electric range is. I've seen the EVDB 'real world' 19 published, but if the only 'official' figure is 31 surely it has to be based on that. I'll continue to badger HMRC.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you have the vw brochure from the time you ordered your car. I am sure that will provide necessary information. I was just looking for the nedc figure and the brochure I found is slightly confusing and quotes 29 and 31 miles.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have found my brochure dated 5th July 2017. this clearly states 31 miles. No wonder there is confusion over the Tax code. PM me if you want a copy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I basically need something from 2017 to show that its Elec only range was 31 as tested on the NEDC cycle. I know there were some later delivered cars that may have had the WLTP test done but the only official VW docs I can find list the total combined range on the NEDC cycle (514 miles). I've got the correct Price List covering my car (dated 20 July 2017 attached) but there is no electric only range in it :(

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So p72 definitely says NEDC 31 miles for GTE and GTE Advance. Thanks. I'll revert to HMRC.... again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts