Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’ve just bought a Golf GTE. It’s a brand new mark 7.5. I have now charged the battery from a mains socket twice to fully charge. After each charge, the next day without using the charge had dropped a quarter and the range significantly. For example I drove well under 2 miles and it then had a 10 mile range. Do I potentially have an issue or is the colder weather or something I should be aware of charging wise.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,800 Posts
Hi. I’ve just bought a Golf GTE. It’s a brand new mark 7.5. I have now charged the battery from a mains socket twice to fully charge. After each charge, the next day without using the charge had dropped a quarter and the range significantly. For example I drove well under 2 miles and it then had a 10 mile range. Do I potentially have an issue or is the colder weather or something I should be aware of charging wise.

Any advice appreciated.
It’s a little complicated, but using the GTE solely as an EV is really equivalent to owning an electric car with a 15 mile range.

The 31 mile range advertised is an ‘up to’ and in reality will never be achieved as in the real world it’s cold and you will want to heat the cabin.

When fully charged with the heating and fans off, your car will probably guess at an electric range of around 28-30 miles. Turn the heating and ventilation on and that will drop 6 or 7 miles, before you’ve gone anywhere.

Drive somewhere in electric mode and it won’t be a 1:1 drop in miles covered to estimated range remaining, especially if you’re driving ‘normally’.

If you’ve driven only 2 miles, then it will have been in conditions the worst possible for economy, and the car will attempt to calculate what that means for the range if you continued to drive like that, hence the much lower number.

People call the estimated range remaining display the ‘guessometer’ or GOM.

It’s unlikely your car has a problem, take the car for a drive in EV mode only and see how far you get before the engine comes on. It won’t be that far if it’s cold and/or you’re running at motorway speeds.

I used to get between 12-18 miles out of mine as a very rough average, but it should be remembered it’s a hybrid with an electric only party trick for short journeys.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Not that I think you have, but just check that you don’t have a “Pre-Heat” cycle set up.
You could be heating the cabin and unaware of the fact.
Not likely, but entirely possible,
There MANY threads covering the subject of what new owners are expecting from the mileage displayed on the GOM after a full charge.
Some new owners become deeply upset when they dot see over 30 miles of predicted range on the GOM.
Remember, the key word here is :-
PREDICTED !.
Cranking up the heat etc in the winter will absolutely murder the range !.
Depending on the demand, will decrease the range.
More heat, less range - simple.
Preheating the car while still receiving a charge will go someway to mitigate the problem.
PHEV’s and EV’s are like most people, we operate more effectively in warmer weather !,

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
@Admin nice to see this thread! If it's meant to be a reference-type section, maybe the chit-chat/advice items like thie thread should go into General Charging Discussion? The qn above has been asked before, as it happens (often!). :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.