Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a quote for £640.03 (inc VAT) for my GTE to get the cambelt changed. It's due in September.

What did others pay?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Question(s).

What is the mileage requirement for the change? Does this include miles done solely one electric power?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was change after 5 years / 100k miles, regardless of inspection.

Water pump on the GTE is electric so is not changed at same time as belt.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Definitely worth checking the manual. Most of the newer cars are on 130k/5yr. Best to be sure because many garages will tell you at 70k as per the older vag cars.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Cambelt interval on the GTE is 100k miles or 5 years, whatever is soonest.

Sounds about the right price, similar to what I was quoted and one of the deciding factors in chopping my GTE in for the e-Golf at 94k miles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anyone used an independent - you could get them to use VW parts (or will they not touch it because of the EV side?)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds about the right price, similar to what I was quoted and one of the deciding factors in chopping my GTE in for the e-Golf at 94k miles.
Seems like a sensible move, Cam belt plus normal service etc. and MOT would have been close to £1k with zero difference to show for that expenditure. No wonder they don't want to move away from ICE with incomes like that 'scheduled' in

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The GTE is a brilliant car, I owned one for 4 years and loved it.
But you have to consider that the correct servicing requirements of this car are NOT going to be cheap !.
You are in affect servicing two methods of propulsion here.
On the GTE - BOTH means of propulsion therefore have to be serviced.
It could be said you are trying to satisfy the service demands of a 1.4 TSI petrol engine, in conjunction with the demands of an e.Golf almost !.
As the car becomes older, the combination of these two demands increases the running costs.
A bit like having two bikes, but with only one arse to ride them :ROFLMAO: .
Joking apart, thats where running a EV wins over a hybrid system hands down.
Your servicing costs on an EV are going to remain fairly stable as the car gets older.
With a Hybrid, the servicing costs are only going to increase as the car gets older, I think that's an absolute given really !.
Also, I would never recommend running a GTE without the back up of an extended warranty.
It's a very complicated system and IF you are unlucky to develop a fault, the repair costs can get ugly pretty quick !.
If I remember correctly, the quote from my local main dealer was around £550 ish to replace the cam belt at 50,000 miles.
I sold my GTE when it had only covered just less that 30,000 over 4 years I think.
Gone over to a BEV now.
Got bittern by the electric bug after owning the GTE for a couple of months.
I have not regretted moving to a full BEV.
The fuel economy on the GTE great, but the running costs of a BEV is in a different league altogether.
Plus, the silent ride ALL of the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The GTE is a brilliant car, I owned one for 4 years and loved it.
But you have to consider that the correct servicing requirements of this car are NOT going to be cheap !.
You are in affect servicing two methods of propulsion here.
On the GTE - BOTH means of propulsion therefore have to be serviced.
It could be said you are trying to satisfy the service demands of a 1.4 TSI petrol engine, in conjunction with the demands of an e.Golf almost !.
As the car becomes older, the combination of these two demands increases the running costs.
A bit like having two bikes, but with only one arse to ride them :ROFLMAO: .
Joking apart, thats where running a EV wins over a hybrid system hands down.
Your servicing costs on an EV are going to remain fairly stable as the car gets older.
With a Hybrid, the servicing costs are only going to increase as the car gets older, I think that's an absolute given really !.
Also, I would never recommend running a GTE without the back up of an extended warranty.
It's a very complicated system and IF you are unlucky to develop a fault, the repair costs can get ugly pretty quick !.
If I remember correctly, the quote from my local main dealer was around £550 ish to replace the cam belt at 50,000 miles.
I sold my GTE when it had only covered just less that 30,000 over 4 years I think.
Gone over to a BEV now.
Got bittern by the electric bug after owning the GTE for a couple of months.
I have not regretted moving to a full BEV.
The fuel economy on the GTE great, but the running costs of a BEV is in a different league altogether.
Plus, the silent ride ALL of the time.
@Carty What servicing has to be done to the electric propulsion?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
It falls under the same service schedule demands as any EV.
What the dealer does on an EV to justify the cost they charge, is the subject of a completely different debate ( not much is the simple answer ) .

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to feed the hamster from time to time.

In all seriousness the only service I'm aware of for the e-motor side is that the DSG oil should be changed, as this is used to cool the motor. Worn oil may be less effective at cooling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interesting. As with all ICEs the cambelt should be changed at a sensible mileage, but with the GTE, surely it very much depends on your usage?. Of my 25k miles so far I've only used the ICE rarely, consuming 180 gallons of dino juice. So at say 40 mpg (a low estimate) that means my ICE only has 7200 miles on the clock. I'm lucky with my usage, I guess.
I would definitely need to see a mileage requirement applied rather than a date requirement for these things.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Interesting. As with all ICEs the cambelt should be changed at a sensible mileage, but with the GTE, surely it very much depends on your usage?. Of my 25k miles so far I've only used the ICE rarely, consuming 180 gallons of dino juice. So at say 40 mpg (a low estimate) that means my ICE only has 7200 miles on the clock. I'm lucky with my usage, I guess.
I would definitely need to see a mileage requirement applied rather than a date requirement for these things.
I agree with your point on mileage Vs date, but VW know they could be seeing the car a lot less, so then bring in the date scale to get you back to the dealership.
They want your car almost every 12 months to milk some funds from your wallet.
You will be nailed either by mileage or time scale, they are calling the shots.
This question has been asked many times :- "Why do I need my oil & filter changed every 12 months OR 10,000 miles on my GTE, when the car has done more electric mileage than ICE miles ?".
ONE reason given by VW is that condensation can build up in the engine due to lack of use and therefore the oil needs changing on a regular basis.
There are other reasons given for this strict service schedule also.
Non compliance of this tight service regime, could result in a failed warranty claim should you be unlucky enough to need one !.
Do I think they are going a little over the top ?.
Of course, no more so than charging stupid money to carry out a service on a EV.
They are watching the money they earn from service work slowly slipping away.
Hanging on for grim death !.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's also an age specification on the cambelt.
But I was told by at least one dealer that they can inspect the cambelt (perhaps turn the engine over by hand) and don't need to replace it if it is not perished or cracked. The cost for inspection is around an hour's labour, so MUCH less than getting the job actually done.
Not often that a dealer tries to lower costs!!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
There's also an age specification on the cambelt.
But I was told by at least one dealer that they can inspect the cambelt (perhaps turn the engine over by hand) and don't need to replace it if it is not perished or cracked. The cost for inspection is around an hour's labour, so MUCH less than getting the job actually done.
Not often that a dealer tries to lower costs!!
I guess they work on the theory it's better to take at least one hour of main dealer labour cost, against not getting the job at all maybe ????.
Mind you, once they have the car in the workshop I would NOT be surprised if they did not call and say :-
"We have the cover removed and it's a 50 - 50 call on the condition of the belt.
It is not likely to do anything like another 50,000 miles, what would you like us to do ?".
( Therefore passing the ball back too you, remember you are already into a bill of 1 hour now ).
Quickly followed by :-
"We will be prepared to waver the 1 hour charge if you continue with the replacing of the cam belt though".
Let's give them some credit here, they are in the business of making money, pure and simple.
Not saving money for you in the process folks !.
They get your car in the garage, then ring you and place uncertainty in your mind.
Back in the day I worked in a very large main dealers, I have seen all the tricks in the book.
No cam belt ( or a lot of other things ) to replace on an EV folks.
Think about making the jump into light speed ! ;) .

·
Registered
32 Posts
You need to feed the hamster from time to time.

In all seriousness the only service I'm aware of for the e-motor side is that the DSG oil should be changed, as this is used to cool the motor. Worn oil may be less effective at cooling.
OK. that's recommended at 40k miles intervals. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a quote for £640.03 (inc VAT) for my GTE to get the cambelt changed. It's due in September.

What did others pay?
I got a quote of £1100 back in November from Allan Day Volkswagen in North London so it's almost 50% cheaper. I told them I would wait...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would recommend getting this job done at a VW independant rather than a main dealer. A friend had it done on his GTE for £450 inc water pump change at an indy. Most of the cost is labour, so savings can be had using an independant's cheaper labour rate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts