Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just gotten my new (not new) Golf GTE and are very pleased with everything. The only thing I notice that in EV mode when driving like 5-15mph and let go or give more 'gas' you hear the gearbox do all sort of stuff. Its not a clunk or anything but still very noticeable. Its silent at higher speeds.

Do other owners have this as well with their car?

Hope anybody can confirm this is normal, then I can sleep better ;)

Patrick

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
In pure EV mode, the car should be almost silent. No gear changes audible.

Are you accelerating hard? Maybe test slow acceleration?

What does it sound like, because your gearbox will not be changing gears when you are only
let go or give more 'gas'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Todor,

When driving in EV mode you can sometimes hear and feel the gears changing and thats normal I heard, more when its a cold start. But thats not what I mean because this gets better over time when it warms up.

The sound is present when driving slow through an area with lots of speed bumps, turning etc. When you drive slow and have to accelerate and slow down quickly. Could it be the sound the electric motor makes when going from charging to discharging? I can replicate the sound by putting my foot on the pedal and quickly move up and down while driving slow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove around a bit today trying to figure something out. Its clearly the gearbox changing gears. The slower I drive the more noticeable it is from 1st to 2nd , 2nd to 3rd is less and everything above is silent. When in B mode it seems the gearbox is turning on and off when gas is let go and given again. I've made an appointment for Friday at the dealer, maybe they know if its normal or what it is. I have no reference car or know nobody with one unfortunately to compare.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
292 Posts
GIven that it's a VW dealer they will declare it normal and have you collect it again no matter what.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I notice the same on my GTE when cold (5C or colder outside). The gear changes are initially a bit harsh. This goes away after a mile or two of driving. I put it down to cold oil, doesn't seem to be any kind of fault.

The car does shift gear in E-mode, as the E-motor is on the engine side and not on the output shaft. So it has to constrain itself to the operating region of the engine. This allows it to be used as an engine starter and alternator and removes the need for a second gearbox to gear down the motor output.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Perhaps post a video.

When was the dsg last serviced?

Sure you are not referring to the electric whine noise from the e-motor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear some similar stories, as long as it's just normal I can live with it. the DSG had service around 30k km ago. Maybe I will do a change just to be safe and see if it makes a difference. It's not the whining no. If changing oil and a big service doesn't solve anything I will try to make a decent video. Maybe the dealer can reset the DSG or do some software tweaking to make it less "clunky". Thanks for all the answers, amazing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good to hear some similar stories, as long as it's just normal I can live with it. the DSG had service around 30k km ago. Maybe I will do a change just to be safe and see if it makes a difference. It's not the whining no. If changing oil and a big service doesn't solve anything I will try to make a decent video. Maybe the dealer can reset the DSG or do some software tweaking to make it less "clunky". Thanks for all the answers, amazing.
Ive had the odd clunk when I move from d in to reverse (vice versa) when coming to a stop. But no in general, I dont get any clunking when driving from cold. If anything, the DSG on mines hangs on the the gears a little bit longer when starting from cold generally 2nd/3rd.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My DSG also makes some noises here and there and this is audible in E-mode.
My gearbox oil has been done at 51k km's and now i'm at 61k km's and the noise is still the same, not softer or louder..
I think it's okay, since DCT's tend to be smoother/faster when hammering it and clunkier/slower when driving slower..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So a little update. I went to the dealer for maintenance and they said the driving experience was overal bad. They did a few software updates and reset the whole car. Now it driver much smoother and less clunky, also much less noise from the gearbox. So if you have this problem, a reset might help you as well. It was just around 100 Euros in cost, mostly labour and test driving. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
So a little update. I went to the dealer for maintenance and they said the driving experience was overal bad. They did a few software updates and reset the whole car. Now it driver much smoother and less clunky, also much less noise from the gearbox. So if you have this problem, a reset might help you as well. It was just around 100 Euros in cost, mostly labour and test driving. Thanks for all the help!
Sorry, I am a little late seeing this post.
Looks like you have found a solution to your problem, great.
Just wanted to say, that my previous early 2015 Ex Demo GTE had a less than smooth gear change from 1st to 2nd and some times up into 3rd.
This was more noticeable when the ambient temperature was low.
When the car was offered for its second service, the main dealer rang to say that they would need the car a little longer as they had either 11 or 13 updates to perform !.
When I collected the car, the master tech said he had never performed that many updates on a single car at one time !.
He said almost EVERY module on the car had been updated.
After the update, the first thing I noticed was how smooth the shifting of the DSG had become.
Software updates are the very first thing that the dealer will check and apply when customers report an issue.
When a new model had been released, there will always be small changes to the software in responce to customer complaints when “Real World” driving.
These are usually applied when the car is called for service approx once a year.
From memory, the car received no further updates after it had received its second service.
Just the main HV battery recall when the was approx three years old.
I sold the car when it was just over four years old, and it ran perfectly !.
Brilliant “Bridge Car” into the world of full electric.
No surprise, I now own a full BEV.
Love it !.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts