Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. New to ev life.
Wife bought 2nd hand Golf Gte which is great so far
We only have 240 socket externally but given it only takes a few hours to top up is fine for now

BUT the granny charger came with EU plug into the transformer (with a travel adaptor!). So today i thought I'd swap for UK plug, immediately regret as there are 5 cores into the moulded EU plug. Any ideas on what to do?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Oops - based on other people’s attempts to change the plug you may have written off the charger. OU chargers (3 pin) have a built in resistor that monitor’s the plug temperature.

But all is not lost: see last post.

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Screwfix do Type 2 10A chargers now for just over £200, so all is not lost.

As somebody has already mentioned though, the two extra wires used to connect to something in the moulded plug to monitor temperature.

You were right to dispense with the adaptor idea though, it’s not good for something pulling 10A continuously for long periods.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
This has been covered before - pop a 22k Ohm resistor across the two purple (purple/white and purple/black) sensor wires and it will be fine.

putting-a-new-plug-on-an-evse-and-the-thermal-sensor-question

Edited to clarify - this is a bodge as obviously you lose the temperature sensing to avoid an overload - do this at your own risk.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Is this a Delphi charger? See here for a repair I did to a similarly cut-off plug. If it's the same charger, or if you still have the original plug (so I can analyse the thermistors used) I'm prepared to do you a similar repair. Send me a message for details of address/postage etc. I'm in Winchester if you prefer to deliver/collect.
Delphi Granny Charger Repair IC-CPD Aptiv 240V 10A

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Is this a Delphi charger? See here for a repair I did to a similarly cut-off plug. If it's the same charger, or if you still have the original plug (so I can analyse the thermistors used) I'm prepared to do you a similar repair. Send me a message for details of address/postage etc. I'm in Winchester if you prefer to deliver/collect.
Delphi Granny Charger Repair IC-CPD Aptiv 240V 10A
Uhm - possibly the same plug as the BMW OUC built by Delphi? All owners advised last week that BMW will be replacing these chargers because of a potential problem with the plug.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The plug I fitted isn't the same as the Delphi one. It's the most rugged I can find at local electrical distributors, which also has (just) enough space to fit the thermistors. Maybe BMW are finding that too many owners can cut their plugs off with shears, and are going to replace with armour-plated-cable version? :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The plug I fitted isn't the same as the Delphi one. It's the most rugged I can find at local electrical distributors, which also has (just) enough space to fit the thermistors. Maybe BMW are finding that too many owners can cut their plugs off with shears, and are going to replace with armour-plated-cable version? :)
The issue is potential overheating.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Hmm, if the plug overheats, it's got 2 thermistors to detect that! I can only assume that the Delphi plug is so massive (there is a LOT of rubbery stuff in it!) that it's building up heat inetrnally through its own inability to dissipate the normal heat fast enough! Not, I think, a problem with the plug I fitted! :)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Hi there....
BUT the granny charger came with EU plug into the transformer (with a travel adaptor!). So today i thought I'd swap for UK plug, immediately regret as there are 5 cores into the moulded EU plug...
Hmm, just looked at the wiring pic for the Delphi one I repaired; that had 6 wires into the plug, and 2 thermistors. I suspect your plug just has one thermistor and so isn't quite the same model. I'd definitely need the plug as well, if I'm to analyse it accurately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts