Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Yesterday i bit the bullet and had my GTE remapped by a proper tuner!
Someone once told me that the GTE is not a hot hatch, but a 'warm' hatch at most.
I think the GTE has great potential in terms of fun, power and also keeping it fuel efficient and cheap to run daily.
Like i've said in a previous topic of mine, the "cheap to run" part is working very good for me.
I use the car daily and my commute to work is on E-mode only and it works great!

Now i consider myself a car enthusiast and the little boy inside me is wondering if the GTE can be properly tuned.
So i started searching around and i found a tuner on FB who claimed great figures, while still keeping it reliable and 'mild'.
He told me the 102 HP electric motor only fully works in E-mode.
It's power is reduced by 50% when in GTE mode, hey i never knew that!!!
He said that by changing some numbers he can order the car to give all electric power all of the time.
It sounded great to me, because i liked the idea of not touching the TSI engine and also keeping the turbocharger happy.

He also had the option to turn off the Start/Stop function in GTE mode.
I also liked this, because i only use GTE mode when i require all power there is and the warmer the oil, the better.
E-mode would remain the same and there would be no difference in the other modes.

When i got there, we put my car on the dyno.
My stock figures were 235 HP & 375 NM, already pretty healthy!
I put 98RON in the car, because i thought it might make a difference and it did!
The tuner said these power figures are pretty common when driving with 98.
There were some changes necessary in the TSI map, but nothing too drastic.
I can still drive with 95RON, but he advised me to always tank 98RON and i can 100% agree now.
He also updated the DSG, because the older GTE's are notorious for having extremely slow paddle response times.

After the remap, the car had 285 HP & 480 NM, wow!

€500,- lighter, i entered the car and started my first test drive.
I put the car in GTE and first thing i noticed at the intersection, was the engine not turning off.
I was obviously used to the car shutting off and on all the time and now i was back in a regular car.
This was a much better experience, especially when exiting corners and not feeling the engine 'jump' on.
The first time i had a chance to floor it a bit (half throttle probably), i noticed how much more peppy the electric motor feels!!
My right foot and the acceleration of the car were so 1:1, that i immediately knew this was going to be immense fun...and IT IS!
The torque is pretty unreal and the tires easily spin in 1st and 2nd gear, the power is very managable, though..
I once drove a Golf R and even though it's faster, this feels so quick because of the instant electric 480 nm pushing you in the seat!
The eco tires i have are probably not the best tires for grip, but i'm still quite amazed at how grippy they are.
The car can do 0-100 KM/H in under 6 sec now, the tires are obviously the bottleneck here.

I'm amazed at how much better this car has just become, very efficient when it needs to be and very fun when you want it to be.
I'm still a bit careful about the reliability aspect, but the tuner claimed he had a GTE with an upgraded turbocharger and downpipe.
That car was pushing 330 HP & 580 NM, a bit too much for a FWD car i can imagine :)

I uploaded a video to youtube with some acceleration times (on a private road), i can put the link here if anyone wants it.
If anyone has question regarding the tuning or driving, feel free to ask!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Would love to see a video when you get a chance.

Did he say what power the ICE has been remapped to. Stop/Start in gte mode sounds awesome - agree that it a nightmare for trying to get power down and also oil temps.

Not sure if I would be comfortable running the electric motor at 100% though - whats the battery health on gte like?

Did you have 98 ron in it for the stock 235 reading?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery shouldn’t have a much harder time than stock, because E-mode uses 100% anyway!
Only long high speed pulls could put more stress on it, i can imagine.
I don’t really drive a lot of high speed anyway, so i’m not afraid to take that risk.
The battery drains a tiny bit faster on GTE now, but it’s not a massive difference.

Yes, i had 98RON in with that 235 HP dynorun, it’s pretty common that these cars make more power with 98.

The TSI engine has been remapped for a very mild approximate 20-25 HP increase.
I wanted to keep the ability to fill her up with 95RON and not have any issues in terms of knocking, etc.

Here is the link to the video:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great video. Thanks for the reply.

Have you messed around with the xds setting to help with wheel hop. mk7 golf owners forum - folks on there say it can make a difference.

The start/stop being seems very natural. Shame it cant be disabled with out remapping.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you messed around with the xds setting to help with wheel hop. mk7 golf owners forum - folks on there say it can make a difference.
No sir, i haven't heard of that before, but you learn something new everyday :)
Thanks for the tip, i'll start researching it a bit.
I have VCDS, so some settings should be within reach!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice to see that you can get more from a 1.4L engine without too much hassle. But i only have one question about this all: isn't the DSG gearbox only prepared for 400Nm max?? Won't this break your gearbox sooner or later? I know that you won't be running it always at full throttle but............ almost 25% more stress on it can't be good in the long run.

Congrats on the stage 1, up to stage2 soon??

Beco

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ah this is really cool!

I'm really keen to get the EV remapped as you described, don't want to touch the ICE due to known turbo issues.. Any chance you could tell me where / who done this map?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great video. Thanks for the reply.

The start/stop being seems very natural. Shame it cant be disabled with out remapping.
Does the GTE have XDS as standard or is it an option? I can't seem to edit any of the XDS setting on my GTE via VCDS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to see that you can get more from a 1.4L engine without too much hassle. But i only have one question about this all: isn't the DSG gearbox only prepared for 400Nm max?? Won't this break your gearbox sooner or later? I know that you won't be running it always at full throttle but............ almost 25% more stress on it can't be good in the long run.

Congrats on the stage 1, up to stage2 soon??

Beco
Thank you for your reply and yes you have a point.
The DQ400e transmission is based on the DQ250 box found in the Golf R (this is what i've read the most) and we all know how much power people are pushing through those.
The R also has 4WD, further stressing the clutches when doing hard launches for example.
My tuner said he tried different DSG 'tunes' for the DQ400e, but they weren't giving him any good results (in terms of driveability).
He said there weren't any electronic limiters on this box and the stock tune was giving him the best results.
He had a GTE with 330 HP & 580 NM and it was using the stock DQ400e with the stock DSG tune.

I know this story doesn't really provide anything solid, but he told me he's done quite a lot of GTE's here: some pushing more power/torque than others and they seem to hold up good.
It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but i believe him in that aspect and at the moment it's the best we've got i think..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah this is really cool!

I'm really keen to get the EV remapped as you described, don't want to touch the ICE due to known turbo issues.. Any chance you could tell me where / who done this map?

Thanks!
Of course, a tuner here in Huizen did the job for me.
I live in the Netherlands, so it's probably a bit too far for most people here on the forum :-(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Of course, a tuner here in Huizen did the job for me.
I live in the Netherlands, so it's probably a bit too far for most people here on the forum :-(
Ah that is a little far! I may have to take a trip one day though if I can't find a tuner to do it here in the UK.

Really cool result though! If you have any more videos I'm very interested :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The biggest issue with the DSG wrt to torque/power increase will be the clutches but it does not slip clutches in electric mode. It also uses the e-motor to slow down/speed up the engine during gearchanges to minimise clutch slip. All in all it means the DSG should still have a long and healthy life with a power increase but of course buyer beware, your car and your risks!

Impressive results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ah that is a little far! I may have to take a trip one day though if I can't find a tuner to do it here in the UK.

Really cool result though! If you have any more videos I'm very interested :)
if you find one in the UK please let me know. i have the a3 e-tron. so i would love to get this done to that.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
The biggest issue with the DSG wrt to torque/power increase will be the clutches but it does not slip clutches in electric mode. It also uses the e-motor to slow down/speed up the engine during gearchanges to minimise clutch slip. All in all it means the DSG should still have a long and healthy life with a power increase but of course buyer beware, your car and your risks!

Impressive results.
I don't follow your logic. In electric only mode it doesn't slip the clutches, but when running on both ICE and Electric together all of the torque is going through the clutch, gearbox and final drive, and gearchanges are being made. There is no reason to assume that the control is any better or worse than with the R, but apart from very highly tuned examples of the R the GTE will be making more torque. Fingers crossed that the tuners flogging gearbox upgrades are correct that the DQ250 can withstand 600Nm torque which is probably beyond the total on a GTE with the standard turbo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Dutch 2017 FL A3 E-Tron and planning to do a remap/chiptuning.
Only problem is, unlike the gte with its separate gte button, the E-tron has the 'S-mode' (same as gte mode: both engines combined), but (most) chiptuners can't program the S-mode (gear lever pulled to S) so that the petrol engine ALWAYS stays on (only in S mode, in all other hybrid modes, I want it to stay/work as original).
This is desirable, because you want it to stay on, better for turbo, oil, etc...

I found 3 local people who tuned their GTE's and E-Tron's, two of them already complain about slipping clutches, so I guess the dq400 can't handle the torque. Maybe with a separate dsg tune or milder settings in first and second gear...

So I don't dare to take the step yet...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,041 Posts
I don't follow your logic. In electric only mode it doesn't slip the clutches, but when running on both ICE and Electric together all of the torque is going through the clutch, gearbox and final drive, and gearchanges are being made. There is no reason to assume that the control is any better or worse than with the R, but apart from very highly tuned examples of the R the GTE will be making more torque. Fingers crossed that the tuners flogging gearbox upgrades are correct that the DQ250 can withstand 600Nm torque which is probably beyond the total on a GTE with the standard turbo.
Why do you say that the DSG gearbox does not slip the clutches when in E mode? Surely the process of changing gear is exactly the same whatever the source of power.

Certainly the maximum torque will be much less in E mode than in GTE

1 - 20 of 24 Posts