Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So wanting a little more from the GTE I have opted to purchase a JB4 tuning box for the 1.4 TSI engine.

I have had a fair amount of experience from tuning boxes and remaps, and usually I would always go remap but for me like most loosing the warranty on a brand new car isn’t an option.
In theory tuning boxes can also invalidate the warranty but in reality its unlikely.

There are many tuning boxes out there, I’ve tried a few (DTUK, bluespark etc) but I have opted for the JB4 from Burger Motorsport. This connects to the boost sensor, MAP sensor and the OBD port in the car.
On the 1.4 TSI They simply manipulate boost pressure whilst monitoring everything via the OBD (A/F ratio, temperatures, MAF etc) and adjust the boost dynamically.

The Turbo’s on the little 1.4’s are the weak point. Having spoken with George from Burger, he recommends fitting the box, logging the car and then they can make some tweaks to the map.
The JB4 box connects to a laptop via USB so the map files can be tweaked and updated easily.
He said that between +30hp and +38hp should be achievable after checking the logs.
Any more than this puts to much stress on the turbo long term.

Looking forward to it arriving :)

1371350B-785A-4C1C-901C-85EFC17B30BD.jpeg

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,002 Posts
So wanting a little more from the GTE I have opted to purchase a JB4 tuning box for the 1.4 TSI engine.

I have had a fair amount of experience from tuning boxes and remaps, and usually I would always go remap but for me like most loosing the warranty on a brand new car isn’t an option.
In theory tuning boxes can also invalidate the warranty but in reality its unlikely.

There are many tuning boxes out there, I’ve tried a few (DTUK, bluespark etc) but I have opted for the JB4 from Burger Motorsport. This connects to the boost sensor, MAP sensor and the OBD port in the car.
On the 1.4 TSI They simply manipulate boost pressure whilst monitoring everything via the OBD (A/F ratio, temperatures, MAF etc) and adjust the boost dynamically.

The Turbo’s on the little 1.4’s are the weak point. Having spoken with George from Burger, he recommends fitting the box, logging the car and then they can make some tweaks to the map.
The JB4 box connects to a laptop via USB so the map files can be tweaked and updated easily.
He said that between +30hp and +38hp should be achievable after checking the logs.
Any more than this puts to much stress on the turbo long term.

Looking forward to it arriving :)

View attachment 130047
I ran a TMC Motorsport box on my GTE for about 80k miles, it didn’t miss a beat.

I had the same box on a previous Polo GTI and before that a BMW 120d. I went with TMC all that time ago as they let you purchase a new loom and re-flash the box if you change cars, rather than having to buy a whole new box.

It made the GTE a hot-ish hatch again, rather than a warm one, I think you’ll be pleased with it. 30-35bhp was the indicated gain, and it certainly felt like it. Very noticeable without it switched on.

Be aware, if the VAG techs really want to have a look, they can tell if a tuning box has been fitted from the logs in memory or all the times boost etc was higher than requested. If you went in claiming for a turbo or engine under warranty, be sure they’ll have a look.

My insurance only went went up a very small amount, and I just left it on when it went for service as I was happy to accept I’d voided my engine/turbo warranty. In the 8 services it had, they never once commented on it to me.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,002 Posts
Any details on the EV side of the GTE!
I enquired with a few tuners about this a few years ago, and a couple said they were looking into it. I offered my car as a guinea pig as well, but nobody took me up on it, and said it was a whole area they needed to understand better.

A few talked about their plans to offer upgraded electric motors, but uprating the battery to suit higher amp draw etc may prove problematic and/or expensive.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,928 Posts
The Turbo’s on the little 1.4’s are the weak point.
It's an irregular verb, you view it as a limitation, I view it as VW correctly matching the turbo to the performance envelope of the engine that they desired hence minimising lag etc.
+30hp and +38hp is a significant amount and should make a significant difference in excitement. How will it fit with the electric map do you think?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an irregular verb, you view it as a limitation, I view it as VW correctly matching the turbo to the performance envelope of the engine that they desired hence minimising lag etc.
+30hp and +38hp is a significant amount and should make a significant difference in excitement. How will it fit with the electric map do you think?
I should have said weak point from a tuning perspective :)
I believe that the electric motor will give its power and the power from the engine will just be ‘more’.

Burger haven’t tried one specifically on a GTE year but said they would refund if there were any issues (including postage).

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,002 Posts
I should have said weak point from a tuning perspective :)
I believe that the electric motor will give its power and the power from the engine will just be ‘more’.

Burger haven’t tried one specifically on a GTE year but said they would refund if there were any issues (including postage).
It’ll likely just be the standard 1.4 TSI map, that’s what was in the TMC box. It worked fine though, don’t think you’ll have any problems.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,928 Posts
I'm probably over thinking it, but the electric motor is not a linear delivery, instead it tapers around the power delivery of the ICE. If you change the ICE characteristics that tapering may be wrong and you could end up with either gaps or a non-linear steps. Might make it more interesting!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,002 Posts
I used to have the power and torque curves knocking about somewhere on my computer, but basically the ICE map raises the power/torque everywhere and peaks higher.

In GTE mode, the motor still assists, that isn’t lost so you just have more of everything everywhere.

I never noticed any holes or gaps in delivery, or steps. It made a very driveable car even more so, IMHO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Theres a chap on the FB group from Holland that has remapped the ICE to max without mods. Hes also tinkered with the E-motor. He posted a video of the GTE hitting 60 around 5 secs. Hes quoting 500 euros if people make the trip.

Ive been looking at a remap recently, but have extended warranty on the car this now and as someone said dont want to take the risk. Following this Tuning box tho.

Anytips on wheelhop on the gte? Constantly wheelhoping and spinning in second gear even in the dry. Not sure if some of the gti/gtd dsg vcds tweaks to the dsg will work on the gte?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Theres a chap on the FB group from Holland that has remapped the ICE to max without mods. Hes also tinkered with the E-motor. He posted a video of the GTE hitting 60 around 5 secs. Hes quoting 500 euros if people make the trip.

Ive been looking at a remap recently, but have extended warranty on the car this now and as someone said dont want to take the risk. Following this Tuning box tho.

Anytips on wheelhop on the gte? Constantly wheelhoping and spinning in second gear even in the dry. Not sure if some of the gti/gtd dsg vcds tweaks to the dsg will work on the gte?
I think tweaking the E motor is what most people are after.
Increasing the power means increasing the current which means increasing the heat in the power electronics.
I’m sure there is some room to increase power and stay within the heat limits.

My idea would be increase peak performance buy increasing current, but it might not be repeatable 5 times.
For the real world (not track use) most people have short burst of power then back to normal.

Once the heat climbs in the power electronics and battery, then revert to normal protection as programmed in the OE software....

I wonder if wheel hop can be helped the same way it is on the GTI / R by changing the engines sway mount.
On the VRS forum a lot of people said it made a high difference to wheel hop and tramping.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,982 Posts
fyi, the motor (and clutch) in the Golf GTE is listed as the same component as the Passat GTE, but the Passat outputs 10kW more from its electric motor, so unless it's a different variant and just not listed here, I guess it's just sw limited?

The battery packs are the same nominal voltage (Passat has +1.1kWh)

Golf:

Passat:

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,002 Posts
There is a setting accessible via VCDS where you can alter the intrusiveness of the EDL. I seem to remember stock was 1 and you could adjust it to 3.

I found a decent set of tyres helped with controlling the ‘tramping’, along with your right foot of course!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,928 Posts
All something that AI could deal with in the future. For now it is dumb, but maybe adjustable at no cost.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Any details on the EV side of the GTE!
In GTE mode, the E-motor has another 25% available, that is locked out. E-motor max is about 75hp in GTE, compared to 101hp in pure E-mode.
Unlocking that would be nice, but I suspect the limit is in place to protect the clutches in the DSG -- so do so at your own risk!

Remember the battery pack is ~7kWh in Golf GTE, and ~8.5kWh in Passat GTE. At 101hp, you are discharging >75kW from the battery pack. That is more than 10C discharge rate! I would not want to exceed that for the long term life of the cells. Tesla go up to 5C on their packs. Although the GTE's battery is liquid cooled (as is Tesla's), but unlike e-Golf.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The box has arrived and is fitted. Getting the 16 pin OBD cable though the firewall isn’t super easy as the HV inverter is in the way but it is doable.

Currently running MAP 1 whilst George at Burger tuning looks at the logs, it does give the engine at little more oomph.

Getting off the line quickly (which I don’t really do in normal driving) is tricky as I can’t stop the wheel spin but 0 - 60 shows sub 6 seconds with the JB4 box fitted if you get a good start (Second attempt). I’m sure I could do a little better if I was carrying less fuel (run was with around 2/3 of a tank)
Biggest thing is 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pull - just a big stronger throughout the rev range.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Nice work. I wonder when people will start unlocking the extra 25hp from the e-motor in GTE mode. That would really help for 2nd gear pulling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in the Netherlands and i’m one of those people that have had their electric engine ‘unlocked’ for €500.
In GTE mode, the car delivers 285 hp and 480 nm
Start/stop is also disabled, which helps for keeping the oil flowing at all times.
Nice thing is, the TSI is mildly tuned, still having the ability to put 95RON in it.
Obviously warranty can be a thing, but i’m just not a fan of tuning boxes.
The JB4 is tons better than most, but it still fudges the ECU signals.
I’ll always prefer a proper remap.

In terms of driving, the torque is pretty insane.
1st and 2nd gear is instant wheelspin when you press the throttle.
My eco tires are not helping here 😝

The tuner said the DSG box is pretty strong, since he drove with a GTE with an upgraded turbo and it made 330 hp and 580 nm and the transmission was fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in the Netherlands and i’m one of those people that have had their electric engine ‘unlocked’ for €500.
In GTE mode, the car delivers 285 hp and 480 nm
Very jealous, I wish I could Make the trip over.
Perhaps if I upgrade to a mk8 GTE it would be worth the road trip 😇

1 - 20 of 28 Posts