Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really stuck on the above quandary, I am ready to pull the trigger on a PHEV to replace our CT200H. Want a little more EV range and I want something a bit bigger for the occasional long journey as the kids complain that the Lexus is too small in the back. I had convinced myself that a BMW was the way forward but now I am leaning towards the golf. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I should add I am not a long distance driver and we are getting a small BEV to replace a very old ICE car.

Regarding the GTE would it be more sensible to get a newer version with the virtual cockpit? Or is this just more stuff to go wrong?

Thanks

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
689 Posts
After the problems I had with my BMW PHEV (a 740e), documented elsewhere on this site, I'll never ever ever buy another BMW. Not one toss was given by BMW or the leasing company despite dozens of problems and months off the road. This an 80k car I bought new.

Litigation papers served by a very expensive (and very well known) firm of City lawyers sorted it out.

Utter shite. And I don't mean the lawyers.

So of the two, I'd pick the Golf. Unsurprisingly.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
As an owner I am biased towards the GTE, and I like the virtual cockpit in my mark 7.5

The only thing I would change about my GTE is the range in electric mode - not sure how the range compares between GTE and 330E

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BMW mechanical problems do worry me especially coming from a Lexus. I will have a read about your 740e, thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does the golf drive? Does it feel refined and solid? The Lexus is fairly easy to drive around and feels quality but the CVT is frustrating at times. Also what MPG do you get on average please?

·
Registered
49 Posts
How does the golf drive? Does it feel refined and solid? The Lexus is fairly easy to drive around and feels quality but the CVT is frustrating at times. Also what MPG do you get on average please?
refined and solid ? you need a Passat lol

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I don't have experience of either Lexus or BMW to compare, but I would say my GTE feels well built and is a nice place to be.

It is more warm hatch than hot hatch, but it is really good fun to drive - enough performance to be fun, with good handling and well weighted and well balanced steering.

Fuel economy is difficult because there are so many variables. To give a rough idea - typically I just drive normally, neither trying to hyper mile or beat everything off the lights. At this time of year with temperature 10degC to 15 degC, with mixed driving / speeds

Driving electric only I get around 18 to 20 miles range.

On an 80 mile round trip with an empty to full recharge at midpoint I get over 90 mpg.

On an 80 mile round trip with no recharge I get around 60 mpg.

I think these figures are fairly typical, although some seem to get much better figures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a decent MPG and more than I get currently. With some very frugal driving I can get 60ish. The Lexus frustrates with its very limited battery range which is why a PHEV is the next step, trying to watch the pennies which is why full electric is not for me just yet. Occasionally we do uber long journeys (NE to SW) approx twice a year ao I am trying to weigh up whether the Golf would suit. Also thinking about residual values which I know is impossible to predict

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Checking back to last year on a couple of 240 mile trips, with the car fully loaded including a roof box, motorway miles, I got 45 mpg.

Similar trip, 300 motorway miles, fully loaded with roof box and trailer I got just over 40 mpg.

All the long distance trips I do tend to involve a roof box and/or a trailer - at motorway speeds. Clearly you will get better fuel consumption if you can get by without these.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
GTE definitely.

330e has limited electric range.
I believe the earlier models didn't even have a PTC cabin heater so to use the heating required the engine to run (this is in common with older Outlander PHEVs)

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
I was going to get a 330e, was trying to find the rare sport performance package with sill extensions etc, I preferred it over the GTE for its performance and presence, then read on here about the egolf and bought one instead as I in no way needed the extra range from a PHEV

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
689 Posts
GTE definitely.
330e has limited electric range.
There's no material difference in real world electric range. Maybe a mile or three.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thankyou for all your guidance. The decision is tricky and I have been questioning whether a PHEV is actually what I need given most people on here move from PHEV to full electric. Doing a bit more reading around I have been looking at the i3 with a REX which may be decent compromise. I have fully ruled out the 330e as nice as it looks I dont want the gamble. Choices now are:

Golf GTE - Looks great but would it work with the family and lots that could go wrong
Passat GTE - More refined would work with the family but I am not sold on its looks and complicated engine
Golf Electric - Need to do more research on things like range - reliability, residuals etc
BMW i3 - Not sure if I go with an early model with a REX or later 120ah - spend a bit more and dive in to full electric and would the boot work with a family?

Never thought I would be bothered with range anxiety but convincing my wife that I have made the right choice is massively important. We have ordered a second car in the form of a Seat Mii electric to replace our 13 year old Yaris. The range on this seems more comfortable but I cannot see us driving it on a motorway from one end of the country to another. It feels like a real turning point in BEVs with all the new models recently released yet the decision is not easy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was going to get a 330e, was trying to find the rare sport performance package with sill extensions etc, I preferred it over the GTE for its performance and presence, then read on here about the egolf and bought one instead as I in no way needed the extra range from a PHEV
Thanks, I am going to have a read around now

·
Registered
77 Posts
GTE!
Had a BMW once. Never again. Most troublesome car I have ever owned. It’s a bad sign when the staff of a large dealership welcomes you by name when you walk in the door,

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
The decision is tricky and I have been questioning whether a PHEV is actually what I need given most people on here move from PHEV to full electric.
PHEVs are a stopgap technology for wimps like me that don't want to be at the whims of our currently shoddy and fragmented charging infrastructure. In hindsight, an ID3/ID4 would probably have done what I want, but I don't like buying first generation tech because I don't want to put up with teething problems, and the charging infrastructure is still crap. GTE is a great car, but it is almost certainly my last fossil burner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PHEVs are a stopgap technology for wimps like me that don't want to be at the whims of our currently shoddy and fragmented charging infrastructure. In hindsight, an ID3/ID4 would probably have done what I want, but I don't like buying first generation tech because I don't want to put up with teething problems, and the charging infrastructure is still crap. GTE is a great car, but it is almost certainly my last fossil burner.
I hear you. Unsure how the EV infrastructure works but looks like it has some issues and with more EVs on the road and newbies like me unsure of the etiquette plus more of the UK staying at home for holidays it feels like a melting pot of rage. I imagine the relaxing days of driving up to a largely empty charging bay with no concerns of blocking other drivers are disappearing fast.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think charging a PHEV at a public charger will become increasingly antisocial. Only done it twice. Once it worked but the second time I had an app issue and it only charged for 15 minutes. On returning to the car I found all four charge points were occupied and as I drove away a EV turned up. I sense he would have been pissed off if he saw my PHEV was showing (incorrectly) that it was fully charged.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I hear you. Unsure how the EV infrastructure works but looks like it has some issues and with more EVs on the road and newbies like me unsure of the etiquette plus more of the UK staying at home for holidays it feels like a melting pot of rage. I imagine the relaxing days of driving up to a largely empty charging bay with no concerns of blocking other drivers are disappearing fast.
The thing that really annoys me about charging is that everything needs it's own membership/RFID card/app/subscription, and frankly, I can't be bothered with that. PHEV is nice because I can turn up at any petrol station and fill up without needing to worry about having the right membership card or phone signal or even a phone. I've said it before, but imagine if it was this complicated to fill up a tank of petrol or diesel - fuel tank size would be a car's headline spec. Kind of like battery size is on a BEV... :unsure:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts