Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have been having a read through the forum. I have a Golf GTE Advanced which my company purchased for me back in Jan 18, first registered in Oct 17 (67 plate) and had it's first 3 months at a VW dealership as a demo, it has a few extra features like voice activation, leather seats. I have really enjoyed driving it and it is now 3 years old, I am considering purchasing the car for 15k, it is now coming up to 50k miles. It is in excellent condition as I have kept it that way, if you look closely you can even see the screen protector on the head unit I fitted as soon as I got it.

I am moving jobs with no EV or PHEV on the company car list so looking to take car allowance, I am allowed a vehicle up to 10 years old, new place of work is 26 miles away (vs current 13) and cannot charge at work. I am thinking I will be doing slightly less miles as one of the sites we had was about 200 miles away so was covering 400 miles at least every month plus commute. I have done 45k in just under 3 years, I think it is likely to be around 10k a year, so this would take me to 120k miles on the car in 7 years time. I also do have family in Scotland (live in East Anglia) so there is normally a 800-1000 mile trip each year up there so EV is not an option.

It's been serviced as required by our local VW dealership and other than a creaky rear suspension early on which is now fixed haven't been any issues with it. It has just passed it's MOT and as mentioned has a full service history.

This would be the first car I have owned since 2004 (I have just had company cars over the years but they are becoming increasingly more expensive unless you have the option of EV or PHEV on the list) I understand that the cam belt is likely requiring replacing at 80k/5 years and it does need a 10k/12 month oil change too.

What do you think given the info above do you think it is worth getting, or looking at something else?

Cheers.

IMG_20190523_080536.jpg 2020-10-22_10-58-58.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Generally it's a great car and good value secondhand

I would not want to run one outside warranty (which you can get from VW very reasonably) up to 100K miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally it's a great car and good value secondhand

I would not want to run one outside warranty (which you can get from VW very reasonably) up to 100K miles
Good thinking. I have just had a quotation from VW for extended warranty on the vehicle, up to 15k a year, all parts it is £18 a month. I think if I get that for added peace of mind it would be worth it :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts