Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post here. So apologies if I haven't followed the correct protocols!

Few questions about the Golf GTE as I'm interested in purchasing one.

1) MK7 v MK7.5 I was on autottader looking at variants. On the spec form the MK7 has 10 more BHP than the MK7.5. Not only that the MK7.5 you have to pay £130 tax whilst the MK7 is tax free. Can anyone clarify this?

2) Can the GTE be remotely controlled i.e warmed up via an app? If so what spec should I be looking for?

3) Any other general things I should look out for, I'd be ever so grateful! Thank you!

Thanks in advance

SC

·
Registered
989 Posts
1) Mk7 and Mk7.5 have the same powertrain and output power so this must be an error.

2) Yes, it can be. All except the very early '15 plate ones. You need Car-Net and an active subscription with VW (£4/month if 2 years purchased up front; first 3 years included with every car free.)

3) Battery recall work. Some GTEs ('15-'16) are being recalled due to a leaky seal on the battery. If you are a lucky customer you could get a brand new battery fitted to your car (as happened in my case, a '65 plate car with a 2018 battery). But it can take a week or two for the work to be done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing! Thank you for a quick reply! Can car-net be added retrospectively? Also I missed off does the GTE's come with Android auto?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Car-Net can be subscribed to after the fact if it has expired, but some cars are not equipped with the necessary GSM radio. This is primarily an issue with the very early demonstrator vehicles, according to VW it "cannot be retrofitted" but there probably is a way, it just would be expensive and complex.

Not all GTEs have Android Auto, mine does not. I don't miss it. The newer ones with the larger touchscreen (if I'm not wrong) have support for it, look out for "App Connect".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car-Net can be subscribed to after the fact if it has expired, but some cars are not equipped with the necessary GSM radio. This is primarily an issue with the very early demonstrator vehicles, according to VW it "cannot be retrofitted" but there probably is a way, it just would be expensive and complex.

Not all GTEs have Android Auto, mine does not. I don't miss it. The newer ones with the larger touchscreen (if I'm not wrong) have support for it, look out for "App Connect".
Amazing again thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Not only that the MK7.5 you have to pay £130 tax whilst the MK7 is tax free. Can anyone clarify this?
The VED rules did change so that GTE PHEVs had to pay £130 a year VED from year 2, in April 2017 I think.

So, all Mk 7.5s will be caught by that, and some Mk 7s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The VED rules did change so that GTE PHEVs had to pay £130 a year VED from year 2, in April 2017 I think.

So, all Mk 7.5s will be caught by that, and some Mk 7s.
Thanks for this I've just the table on the AA site. It's a bit strange that any car registered after April 17" have to pay £140 in tax as the cars emisons are above 1. Whilst older cars don't pay anything or if they have to, a maximum of £30 with emissions up to 120!

Thanks for this, it's helped me understand it a little more!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not a GTE but i got caught out with my newly purchased A3 E-tron (same car) My 2017 reg car cost me £455 to tax because it was over £40k new, just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi all,

First post here. So apologies if I haven't followed the correct protocols!

Few questions about the Golf GTE as I'm interested in purchasing one.

1) MK7 v MK7.5 I was on autottader looking at variants. On the spec form the MK7 has 10 more BHP than the MK7.5. Not only that the MK7.5 you have to pay £130 tax whilst the MK7 is tax free. Can anyone clarify this?

2) Can the GTE be remotely controlled i.e warmed up via an app? If so what spec should I be looking for?

3) Any other general things I should look out for, I'd be ever so grateful! Thank you!

Thanks in advance

SC
1) Tax is unfortunately a fact. Still, when you're saving boatloads of fuel you get over the grief fairly quickly.
2) App control? Yes, but I generally use the onboard timer setup - the app is famously cranky
3) In my case, look out for leaky rear n/s door, feeds into the footwell. It's caused by a faulty seal apparently.
4) Onboard maps are fine but IMHO rubbish. That said, it's supposed to use journey data to refine your available e-miles. I use Waze for the traffic info - via Car Play
5) I like Dunlop tyres, good price/ability compromise. You may prefer different. Fronts wear more than rears so rotate.
6) Brakes are not an issue, pads barely wear at all.
7) Hybrid mode isn't much cop. Play around to find out what suits your journey(ies) best.
8) The e-miles / range thing - it's referred to a the GOM (Guess-o-meter) for good reason. Typically for me at this time of year, I get 11 miles, usually with 1-3 left, on a full charge.
9) You'll forget how to find a petrol station. You'll then figure out how much time you wasted doing that.

What are you waiting for?

Cheers
Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts