Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm looking at an '18 plate Golf GTE Advance at the weekend, pretty likely to buy it. The dealer is offering me either a 3 or 5 year service 'package'.
3 years = £960
5 years = £1500

The costs include collecting and dropping off the car, as well as the use of a courtesy car whilst it's being serviced. As I live in fairly central London, I'm not super fussed about this aspect of the service. But I'm trying to figure out if this is a good price? I've found some prices online where a minor service costs £184 and a major is £354. So worst case assuming 2x major and 1x minor over 3 years it would appear to be better to just organise those myself?

I'm going to ask if anything else is included in the service, e.g. brakes, DSG oil, cambelt, etc (I'm assuming not).

Also, anything else to look out for in general with the car? I'm going to get a warranty with it, so I'm not super concerned, but if there's anything else I should look for I'd appreciate any tips!

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I'm going to ask if anything else is included in the service, e.g. brakes, DSG oil, cambelt, etc (I'm assuming not).
Hi Matt.
You assume totally correct !.
None of these items are covered by a service plan.
You don't say how many miles the car has covered ?.
Prices for service and generally labour rates vary a LOT all around the country.
Living near London, or any major city for that matter is never going to be a cheap option I am sorry.
Things to look out for ?.
I am sure there will be a lot of members willing to offer some great advise on this subject.
The GTE is a great car and is well sort after, I owed one for over 4 years and loved it.
The factory warranty I guess is expired now ?.
The extended warranty you can purchase from VW, although it offers a good level of protection, it is NOT a full factory warranty remember.
A low mileage and well care for example, can be hard to come by.
How did they come by the car, did they supply it from new, was it a trade in, was it purchased at auction ?.
Dealer's have been known to buy GTE's at auction - why, because they are good sellers.
If the car has been bought through a dealer auction, there is a reason.
Check the panel gaps and paintwork, just because it is a main dealer supplied car and comes with a "Das WeltAuto" warranty, don't assume it this counts for a quality car, not in every case I am sorry to say.
There have been members of this forum, who have purchased approved VW cars and then had to reject them due to issues within the 30 days.
If the car is a nice example, the dealer will be able to answer any questions that you can throw at them, if they start with :- "I am not sure on that one" on more than one occasion, apply a note of caution Matt.
Has the car any other options ABOVE the factory supplied standard equipment.
The advance is a nice spec, but are there any other options fitted, sun roof, leather etc etc.
Service history, does it have a full history, it should do at this age !.
The car WILL call for a service every year or 10,000 miles.
Which ever arrives first regardless, budget for this !.
At three old, it should have had it's brake fluid replaced for the first time.
It's every two years after that, which is not included in the service cost.
Don't worry too much about brake pad wear, it is extremely low.
A/C service every two years if my memory serves me correctly.
Cam belt at around five years ish ???.
DSG oil service around four years ish ???.
Some items are triggered by time scale and some required to be done by the mileage covered by the car.
Depending how the car has been driven, you should be looking at replacing the front tyres at around the 20,000 miles ?.
Wheels should be rotated in a "front to back" fashion every 5,000 miles is recommended by VW.
Oh .... check if the car has BOTH charging cables and they are working.
Ask them if the H.V. battery recall check is required or already been conducted.
I bet you are sorry you asked now Matt - sorry !.
Like I said previously, the GTE is a brilliant car but you have to work hard to find a nice clean straight example now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response Carty.

The cars done quite a few miles for it's age, 34k. It was a 2 year lease car which had an 18k p/a lease, so it's come to the end of that. From what I can tell it's been well cared for.

It's next service will be the 40k one, and from reading these forums that sounds like an expensive one (£500-ish).

The cars got a lot of options (keyless, sunroof, rear view camera, pretty much all the assist systems except for park pilot, etc).

Re the tyres, from what I could tell on VW's site it says tyres are good for 50k miles, though obviously that depends on how the persons been driving it. I'll definitely check out them out, and see if they've been replaced.

I've got the link to check on the battery recall, just need to enter the cars vin.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Thanks for your response Carty.

The cars done quite a few miles for it's age, 34k. It was a 2 year lease car which had an 18k p/a lease, so it's come to the end of that. From what I can tell it's been well cared for.

It's next service will be the 40k one, and from reading these forums that sounds like an expensive one (£500-ish).

The cars got a lot of options (keyless, sunroof, rear view camera, pretty much all the assist systems except for park pilot, etc).

Re the tyres, from what I could tell on VW's site it says tyres are good for 50k miles, though obviously that depends on how the persons been driving it. I'll definitely check out them out, and see if they've been replaced.

I've got the link to check on the battery recall, just need to enter the cars vin.

Thanks again!
Your very welcome !.
Sounds like the car has a very good spec !.
The sun roof is a nice option, it’s about £1,000 when ordering.
Rear view camera is another good option, here is a strange fact.
When the GTE was first released, it was the cheapest factory option you could pick at only £150.00 !.
Then within about 12 to 18 months it doubled in price !.
Keyless entry is a nice feature also, had that on my car.
It also had the park assist function, never used it !.
No lose there, I would not spec that option.
My car was a 3 month old Demo car and the options had already been picked by the head sales person.
At 36,000 miles, the front tyres will have been changed.
Check the date stamp on the side wall of the tyre‘s, this will give you an indication of when they where replaced.
Then check how much tread is left on them.
Compare one to the other and this will give you an indication of how hard the car has been driven in the past.
I replaced all four tyres on my GTE between year 3 and 4 and at about 22 to 24,000 miles I think.
The hated the original OEM Bridgestone tyres fitted by the factory, the traction / grip was poor and they produced a lot of road noise.
Glad to get shut of them, I had Good Years fitted and the difference was like night and day.
When the original factory warranty expired, I paid for the VW all component warranty.
It was around £230.00 per year.
Matt, just ask the sales person or the service department to check if the car has already got the extended factory warranty ?.
You can only pick this option at the point of ordering and can cover the car for up to 5 years.
Worth a check, it is transferable Warranty if the car has it.
Long shot, but worth asking.
Good luck, great car BTW.
Remember ABC.
Always Be Charging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts