Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Wondering how you all manage your GOM range I regularly travel a round trip of 32 miles when I start the journey the range is 180 miles after 16m I stop for 10hrs then 16m home now the GOM range says 120m so appears I’ve travelled 60m so how do you plan a long journey any thoughts cheers

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
What car are you driving? Impossible to answer without that. I completely ignored the GOM in our LEAF. It was useless.

The one in the i3 is better since it uses the route in the NAV to inform the estimate. We always plan our journies before setting off. If the i3 says I won't make a leg I will stop earlier or make an adjustment like putting the car into eco pro+

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,514 Posts

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
GOM is a guess based on previous driving style. As prev trips may have been completely different type of road, distance, weather, speed etc, you can see it's a guess. Sadly, some EVs like ID.3 refuse to show you the SOC alongside their guesstimate remaining miles. Just one thing I really do not like about ID.3

I like an EV that shows me remaining kWh, and average miles per kWh so far on the trip, so it's then a simple matter of keeping tabs on whether your safety margin is declining too fast, and you need to slow down or even start shielding yourself from the wind by following an HGV/coach for a bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
I’ve a Peugeot e2008 it’s a fantastic car also first ev just seemed odd that the same journeys could change the amount of miles in the GOM it’s just I’ve got a couple of longish journey (hopefully) in the next few months been planning on Zap-Map should be ok just wondered if I was driving wrong lol with it dropping so fast some days
Cheers

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi
I’ve a Peugeot e2008 it’s a fantastic car also first ev just seemed odd that the same journeys could change the amount of miles in the GOM it’s just I’ve got a couple of longish journey (hopefully) in the next few months been planning on Zap-Map should be ok just wondered if I was driving wrong lol with it dropping so fast some days
Cheers
The recent Peugeot (and other PSA Family cars) EVs have very poor efficiency, especially in this colder weather we had recently compared to some other brands. You're not the only person to notice this. The GOM Will jump around a lot and won't be the most helpful tool in the world. I Don't know if you can see the percentage of battery charge in your car or not, but if you can this will be more useful.

I would suggest using ABRP rather than Zap Map for planning a longer journey. You can tell it what car you have, and it will take into account all kinds of variables like weather conditions that you can set as part of your plan. If you give it a realistic idea of your routes it will give you VERY accurate ideas of what your car is capable of, as well as suggestions of where is best to charge, and how long for.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
This is odd - my Range gauge is astonishingly accurate. The longest trip i've done in mine in one hit was about 250 miles and the range meter dropped by 251..... I'm happy with that - lot more accurate than most of the ICE cars I've driven!

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
248 Posts
Unfortunately, PSA's implement of the GOM is not one of the better ones (I've heard the Korean manufacturers got it right).
As mentioned it does jump around alot.
In my Corsa-e, I usually reset the trip meter every full charge, and look at average consumption.
I know that if my average is below 15kwh/100km, that my total range will be at least 270 km.
I don't ignore the GOM altogether, but just take it into consideration with a grain of salt...

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
It’s the same as a petrol car

your estimated range changes based on lots of things

I’ve set off in my petrol car before and it’s said I have 200 miles range and an hour in it still says the same after gradually going up and then coming back down

the trouble is, people worry about the range left on an ev

stop worrying

only look at the “petrol” gauge

charge you at home when you get get to 1/4 full or if you know you have a longer journey the next day (just like you would with petrol)

My dad tells me he could never have an ev because it takes too long to charge yet he does about 50miles a week

he says to me “imagine going to the petrol station and having to spend 4 hours there” to which I say “I haven’t been to a petrol station for 3 years dad”

hahah

JJ

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

thanks I’ve started to use the gauge rather than the GOM also found if I use that sat nav the range seems much better (or I think it is lol) not had it long so still learning
Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts