Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last Saturday we couldn't get our 38kwh ioniq to charge; the app immediately just pinged up with "charge completed as configured" as soon as you plugged it in. We tried our normal charger, the granny charger and even a rapid down the road with no luck. Then we noticed it wasn't locking the cable in, but a lot of clicking from behind the glovebox suggested it was probably trying to but failing. A bit of googling suggested the charge point locking motor had failed, which is apparently a relatively common problem.

Our last Zoe was not the most reliable car in the world - with a good few weeks in the garage to have half its electronics replaced, and then a failed battery module - so we thought oh no, here we go again!

We contacted JT Hughes in Shrewsbury - not where we bought the car from, but the easiest to get to - and they said to bring it in and they would try to have a look at it. Our experience with the Zoe, and given everything going on and it being nearly Christmas made me think we were going to have a long wait, but they looked at it earlier than they said they would and we had it back in two days - most of which was waiting for the new bit to arrive and for us to go back to pick it up again. I was very impressed, we will be using them again for services and anything else that comes along.

For those two days though we were back in the ICE car; waiting for the thing to warm up and windows to clear, gear changes and clutches, weird power / rpm curves and different behaviour as the engine warms up... dear god I couldn't ever go back!

I couldn't find much mention of the problem we had on here, so I thought a post might help if it ever happens to anyone else.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,748 Posts
My only question is to ask what 'app' you mentioned. As this is posted in the 'first gen Ioniq' section I wasn't aware of any such app for a 28 kWh car.

A second question though. Did you not ask what part they replaced?

·
Registered
Ioniq
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The app is just the Hyundai Bluelink app. I should have said it was for a 38kwh car - I'll add it in to avoid confusion - but other than the app bit I imagine everything else would be the same on a 28. I posted here because the "First Generation Ioniq" section seems to be where all discussion of both 28 and 38kwh ioniqs goes, there is no shortage of 38wkh content here and no other specific forum for it.

The part they replaced was the locking motor; it sounds like it comes as a complete assembly and didn't take them long. They said they have done it a few times, although they did not specify whether than was just for ioniqs or other plugin vehicles as I understand it is a common part across other models as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts