Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Soul 64 previously Golf GTE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

well in two weeks time i'm due to pick up a new Soul EV as my daily driver and the golf has been a good transition vehicle between fossil fuel only to electric only however...

If this had been my private vehicle and i had been expected to cough up or even contribute to the list of faults/ repairs it would have been history years ago. 40 miles in and 40 miles out daily charged both ends with 3.6kw wall charger at home and using granny charger at destination.

items replaced:
4 off granny chargers, 1 mk1, 2 mk2 and 1 mk3 model the last design being the most reliable.

1 off inverter drive at about 2 years old, the tech said this was the first they had heard fail and required calls with germany to determine how replacement should go ahead.

1 rear led lamp fitting, moisture got in via a u/s drain seal which was not replaced until it was identified as a problem when moisture got in replacement unit.

Numerous days in garage for electrical gremlins of head unit, this being an early unit without phone app features so it needed to work to set up timed heating etc. unit would regulary lose all radio stations, bluetooth would be unavailable or simply freeze.

Now here's the biggie, the car for the last couple of years would never go beyond 21/22 miles GOM and would require only 1 1/2 hours charge to full from empty on a 3.6kw charger so 1.5 x 3.6 = 5.4kw battery capacity so i knew i was down but always told by my original main dealer that was within spec.
Only when that dealership closed down and i had to go elsewhere was i told there was a recall out for main HV battery (had one checked previously 3 years earlier i think) and so in Dec 2020 it was checked AND replaced at 99k miles! 31 miles back on the GOM and 90 mpg rather than 65mpg so fair play to VW but would you want these costs privately?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think you make a good case for a good warranty, something that must make the Soul attractive. My Passat GTE was a company car which definitely provided peace of mind when it comes to unexpected bills; I'd be wary of the unknown and would definitely want a good warranty in a used car given their fearsome complexity.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Much is said about the complexity of the GTE.

Is it?

Basically it is a standard car with an added maintenance free HV battery and brushless electric motor. OK the gearbox has a extra clutch but in the GTE it seems to have less issues than most DSGs. Also it has a generator with regeneration but the engine doesn’t have either a starter motor or alternator. I appreciate that there is a lot of electronics to get the whole thing to work but most electronics don’t have moving parts. I would argue that a V8 has more (moving) parts. If there are reliability issues with the GTE it’s probably down to the fact that they are made by VW rather than Toyota.

I think I might have put a match to the blue touch paper!!!!

·
Registered
Soul 64 previously Golf GTE
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Is it?

i reckon £10k + worth of repairs with labour would be a yes?

And trust me when that dsg does go pop look at the pictures of it with the electric motor attached - that is going to be some price to repair make no mistake.

oh just remembered both rear shocks were replaced as well so that was another £500 plus fitting, this is a great car and i enjoed immensely most of those miles but be under no illusion as a used proposition out of warranty i wouldnt go near it which is a shame

·
Registered
44 Posts

Is it?

Basically it is a standard car with an added maintenance free HV battery and brushless electric motor. OK the gearbox has a extra clutch but in the GTE it seems to have less issues than most DSGs. Also it has a generator with regeneration but the engine doesn’t have either a starter motor or alternator. I appreciate that there is a lot of electronics to get the whole thing to work but most electronics don’t have moving parts. I would argue that a V8 has more (moving) parts. If there are reliability issues with the GTE it’s probably down to the fact that they are made by VW rather than Toyota.

I think I might have put a match to the blue touch paper!!!!
ha ha blue touch paper - pretty sure mine has a starter motor. Drive in electric until battery runs out and then it changes to hybrid mode - sit in the car with the heater on for more than 5 minutes in winter and the ICE starts up with a starter motor

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd expect SOME of that stuff from any car with 100k miles on, dampers for sure. The battery is pretty digital it's either fine or its broke, and it has a warranty to cover it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ha ha blue touch paper - pretty sure mine has a starter motor. Drive in electric until battery runs out and then it changes to hybrid mode - sit in the car with the heater on for more than 5 minutes in winter and the ICE starts up with a starter motor
The main motor that drives the wheels, also starts the engine, ie there's not a separate "traditional starter motor"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts