Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a number of issues with the Ampera (the standard charge port issues, rubbish sat-nav, broken door unlock button, tyre pressure monitoring system, engine misfire), and the lack of support for the Ampera (the crap £1k sat-nav not being an issue etc.) we have sold it back to the dealer (who had put ~8% of the total mileage on the clock with all the to-ing and fro-ing attempting to deal with all the issues).

I won't be going far however, I'm moving over to the Mitsubishi part of the board, parked out the front of the house (plugged into the wall) there is a nice shiny Outlander :D

So I wish you all the best of luck with all your Amperas.

Cheers

G

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Am hoping I don't get plagued by such things as I'm loving mine...especially after a week's holiday up to Yorkshire and the Lakes and using only about £30 fuel.

Guess all manufacturers can have 'Friday' models. Had an RCZ for 2 yrs with no real issues yet a mate is having nothing but bother with his.

Be interesting to know how you find the Outlander.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
From where and when did you get yours? I'm wondering if it was one of the Pentagon bulk buy that had been sitting around for 6 months. Have to say in the 4 months I've had mine, apart from several creaks and rattles in the cabin, it's been spot-on perfect...

Enjoy the Outlander - I think we'll all be very interested in what real-world MPG and range you get :)

RIchard

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Have to say in the 4 months I've had mine, apart from several creaks and rattles in the cabin, it's been spot-on perfect...

RIchard
Me too...I have noticed creak from the driver door as the car takes the strain of a left hand corner at speed; I'm guessing that because EVs are so quiet, with no vibration that we'd be even more sensitive to such things.

Reactions: Olivier

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Hmm, no in my case it's constantly rattling and creaking - one is the instrument binnacle on the trim just behind it, another is behind my right ear at the rear of the front door, and another is in the passenger. It's without doubt the rattliest car I've ever owned - I ran a Corsa for 6 months that was 12 years old and didn't have a rattle or squeak in sight! It's my only gripe with the car...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Well that's a great example of just how luck comes into it :) A twelve year old Corsa with no rattles or squeaks? Blimey!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yep it was remarkably solid and quiet, and had only done 38000 miles. Got several hundred quid for it against the Ampera ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was one of the first in the UK - so had not been sitting around waiting for someone to buy it.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Ah ok, I got the wrong end of the stick, I wrongly inferred you'd relatively recently bought it. I guess it was teething problems for early cars then! How many miles did you do on it and at what MPG (if I may ask)?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We did abt 18k miles, and sadly no recollection of the MPG in the end (though TBH the MPG was rather battered by every time it went back to the dealer it was a 100 mile round trip...)

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
I have to say that after 9 weeks of ownership, my Ampera is the best Vauxhall I have ever had. I worked for GM for 20 years and probably had around 60 cars in that time.... No rattles or squeaks at all, doors close with a solid (and un-Vauxhall) thunk and, touch wood, everything works as it should.
Economy for first 4900 miles is running at 800mpg..... WOW 4900 miles on 6.1gallons!
Downsides? Sat nav is hopeless (esp compared with the free app on my phone) parking brake clocks and one light cluster on the hatch has water in it. And to complete my 45 mile commute on battery, sometimes i find myself driving like my dad! 55-65 all the way!
Except for that, I find it hard to fault I run it as my company car and with 100% write down in yr 1, and the other tax advantages, it makes heaps more financial sense than the equivalent ICE, and I didn't pay that much more either! Improvements? Sort the sat nav, put in a sunroof and another 20 miles range, (so I can drive faster to and from work!) and I would be a VERY satisfied customer.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
When running in petrol mode, what is the combined mpg figure? I'm guessing around 50mpg but would like to know, if just to inform people that ask. @Lee Dalton may know as he ran his car without charge for a few days when he got it.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,435 Posts
I am getting 55 to 60 but I do notice that once I run out of power then I do not use much petrol for the distance covered but that could be down to regeneration.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I did a 600 mile round trip last week with no opportunity to charge. 47 MPG for the 560 miles on petrol only which was almost 100% motorway slog (Scotland to Derby & back).

Derek

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Petrol efficiency varies - when the engine first fires up, you'll get about 35-40mpg partly because it's putting some buffer energy back in the battery (to smooth requirements from the engine); after the first 5-10 minutes you'll see it steadily increase up to 45-55mpg depending on speed. I've had 70mpg doing about 45mph through central Wales on bendy A-roads, normally get about 50mpg doing 70mph on the motorway.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I'm probably being dense but how do you know your mpg whilst in petrol mode? Some cars have real time mpg figure.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
There's no mpg figure shown - I work it out from the third "leaf" menu (i.e. press the leaf button three times) where it shows the number of miles on petrol plus the amount of petrol used. Thanks to gentle driving this evening I did 4.2 miles on 0.08 gallons from a cold engine, which is about 50mpg (very roughly), which is a little better than I'd expect and probably just down to rounding up/down of the numbers.

Reactions: Brooktop
1 - 20 of 23 Posts