Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until today, whenever I've left the car, a 'goodbye' screen with a list of options comes up on the infotainment main display, and the car plays the little 'jingle' when I get out of the driving seat.

Today after a 30 minute journey, when I left the car, it said something about an update, and not to use the car whilst updating. I didn't get the chance to read all of the message.

Since then, the 'goodbye' screen and the jingle aren't there...

I wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Sounds like you're the guinea pig for 2.1 OTA! Do we know how long the OTA updates will take? Suppose you have an urgent appointment and are about to set off, only to get a message "Do not use car while updating" - what then? Hope it's not going to be like the annoying Windows process. If VW plan to do it on a regular interval basis (someone here reported this), maybe we'll learn when not to use the car?

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
484 Posts
If this is the case I hope there is a way to delay the update my missus wont be impressed if she has to wait for the car to update before she sets off to work, she'll be even less impressed if the same applies on the way home!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I hear each update takes 7 to 9 hours but you get a free courtesy car. Once every 12 weeks is the ambition...

My V90 used to get over the air updates and it just paused them when the ignition was on.

I'm guessing that delaying people in using their car is not the long term ambition and that updates will likely fall in line with scheduled charging.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,633 Posts
I hear each update takes 7 to 9 hours but you get a free courtesy car. Once every 12 weeks is the ambition...

My V90 used to get over the air updates and it just paused them when the ignition was on.

I'm guessing that delaying people in using their car is not the long term ambition and that updates will likely fall in line with scheduled charging.
I thought the ambition is for a software update to be rolled out quarterly, but that will be OTA rather than having to take the car back to the dealer.

The dealer visits are only required for the updates to 2.0 and 2.1, which do take hours.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I thought the ambition is for a software update to be rolled out quarterly, but that will be OTA rather than having to take the car back to the dealer.

The dealer visits are only required for the updates to 2.0 and 2.1, which do take hours.
I was attempting some poor sarcasm in going for the ota updates being as inconvenient as the dealer visit to enable the ota updates in the first place. Especially if they don't let you drive the car during the process.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,633 Posts
I was attempting some poor sarcasm in going for the ota updates being as inconvenient as the dealer visit to enable the ota updates in the first place. Especially if they don't let you drive the car during the process.
Ah, ok. 😂👍

I can’t imagine it’s uninterruptible, that would be mad...

/goes off to twiddle sarcasm detector.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it's 2.1 OTA - I didn't know that was even possible. Is that actually a thing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts