Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
… ID.3. I’m trading my Family Pro Performance in tomorrow for a Hyundai Ioniq 5.

I’ve gone into the reasons on another thread. I just thought I’d take a minute here to air my thoughts after nearly 6 months of ownership.

Foremost is I don’t think there could have been a better introduction to the world of EVs. Performance and economy have been excellent. I’ve owned many VWs over the years and the ID.3 is far and away the best put together. No squeaks or rattles at all. The downsides for me have been the so-so looks, the minimalist cabin and the lack of things previously taken for granted like rear speakers and alloy wheels. It’s an extremely competent car but it doesn’t do enough to feel special in operation.

The software was desperate at the start. Much better after 2.1 was finally installed but I never really gelled with the infotainment screen. I’ll be glad to have a few more buttons on the next car (including a dedicated one which will turn off lane assist!) a volume knob and much less piano black plastic trim.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
659 Posts
Horses for courses. The ID3 is a relatively affordable compact EV. I like pretty much everything about it, especially the interior! 2 foot more at the front and a frunk and I’d be totally happy.
I saw an ionic 5 in the wild a few days back and thought it was pretty ugly tbh especially the back end. And no rear wiper would be an absolute deal breaker for me.
Horses for courses.
Enjoy will be interested in your impressions!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Enjoy your new car 🙂
It's a good thing more EVs are now available to cater for different tastes - you prefer more buttons, I like the fairly minimalist interior of the ID.3.
I think we both agree though the ID.3 could do with losing the fingerprint magnet piano black.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,040 Posts
Enjoy your new car 🙂
It's a good thing more EVs are now available to cater for different tastes - you prefer more buttons, I like the fairly minimalist interior of the ID.3.
I think we both agree though the ID.3 could do with losing the fingerprint magnet piano black.
It does come with a nice microfibre cloth for rubbing off fingerprints though!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Enjoy your new car! If I could have an ID.3 or an Ioniq 5 for the same price I'd have the Ioniq. But the Ioniq 5 is significantly more expensive, and sadly out of my price range. I suppose it is also probably a bit big for my needs as well, but I'd still get it if I could afford it!

At the price point they're selling them though, I still say an ID.3 can't be beaten!

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
391 Posts
Ever thought of asking dbrand if they would do a skin kit for the piano black? I hated it on the 225xe and made a skin for the few bits (around the gear selector etc) and was much better after (just used matt black 3m)

Might be worth asking

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enjoy your new car! If I could have an ID.3 or an Ioniq 5 for the same price I'd have the Ioniq. But the Ioniq 5 is significantly more expensive, and sadly out of my price range. I suppose it is also probably a bit big for my needs as well, but I'd still get it if I could afford it!

At the price point they're selling them though, I still say an ID.3 can't be beaten!
Thanks Matt. I agree the ID.3 is a bargain for what it is. Having to pay full retail for the Ioniq 5 (there are no discounts at all to be had on them) did make it easier inasmuch as I didn’t have to scour the country looking for the best deal and I can just use my local dealer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the looks of the ID3 are terrific, it's one of the main reasons we bought it. The ioniq 5 is bigger of course, but the look trying to mimic a petrol car with the long boot was a total turn off for us. It is quite ugly to be honest

I'd have bought the ID4 if I wanted bigger

Reactions: TomH
1 - 10 of 10 Posts