Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this letter to extend my warranty with BMW for my I3 Rex, appropriate because the manufacturers 3 year warranty expires 1st January 2017. There are 3 levels of warranty, Comprehensive (pretty much everything), some intermediate level and then drivetrain I think. It's a bit academic really because the only option for my i3 was the gold plated comprehensive. I found this out because I couldn't get any of the 3 options to work on the website logon they give and had to call them. The levels of cover were eye watering:

1 year £967
1 year £100 excess £763
1 year £250 excess £700
(Values rounded up/down to remove the pennies, shocked that BMW don't round down to the nearest £)

The problem is I don't know if the premiums increase year on year (I imagine they do), or are they fixed...I suppose I should ask. The other concern is the sheer cost of it, because it doesn't include servicing or any service parts. If one assumes you pay an average of £400 annually per service (which is not unrealistic for the I3 Rex). This "peace of mind" costs almost £1000 per year.

The concern is if it's set so high....what do they know that I don't?
The sweet spot is £760 per annum, but should I buy it?

With these costs and the fact they seriously hit used values for anyone who purchased a 64 Ah model, Do BMW want the I3 to be a success?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I thought EVs were meant to be cheaper to service/maintain due to less moving parts??? N u already have the battery covered so this is for everything else.
Seems like profiteering to me as they know u saving on fuel costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Difficult to see what's so complicated. But tricky Prussia but no more.
863 will buy a lot of labour in back street garage,.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Surely 800 quid goes quite a long way to an annual repair bill?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
It's actually £860, if the 760+100 excess option is taken, or nearly a grand if the full fat option is taken. I guess I take the view that a BMW is so good they only offer a 3 year warranty and £1400 per year to keep on the road (with servicing) after that, is one people might think twice about buying. it could be more cos I'm only allowing an average of 400 per annum for servicing, but I believe some services can be £700+.

I certainly would think very hard about buying another i3, or other BMW electric vehicle in future. Somehow they have made what should be a low cost servicing vehicle one of the more expensive in it's range to keep n the road.

For those who say, just bank the money...with the problems so many people have had fixed under warranty, I think it could be ruinous not to have the insurance. I for one have had a minimum of £1300 worth of warranty work (nothing hugely serious) done in 1 year! Even worse £700 of that could not have been covered by this fancy comprehensive insurance. Can you imagine the cost of a serious fault!!!

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
My personal experience with BMW is not to run one without BMW warranty, not unless you have access to a good third party mechanic you can trust. Reliability is not BMWs strong point, and main dealer prices are about £90/hr labour.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I've had no issues with the Leaf - how about you Gzoom?

Perhaps BMW have simply priced in the unreliability, if lots of owners are having to have lots of expensive repairs then naturally the "insurance" against those repairs will be higher. Do you happen to know the hourly rate for the BMW dealer?

Ironically, I just got a quote for a warranty on my 11 year old ICE Nissan. £280 for the comprehensive option, which includes breakdown recovery and pretty much all non-service parts & labour.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Holy moly, that's a lot of money for 1 years warranty. At that price I'd take the risk, especially for a 3 year old vehicle. But if you go down this route make sure you take it in to your dealer before the warranty runs out and get all updates, mention a few random warning lights etc.

Are there any 3rd party warranties available? What do these cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Perhaps BMW have simply priced in the unreliability, if lots of owners are having to have lots of expensive repairs then naturally the "insurance" against those repairs will be higher.
That may be the case, but the same old rule applies - if you can stand to take the loss yourself, then don't buy insurance. Just bank the money instead. These are profit centres for the car companies. Years ago, I started a bank account specifically to run my own warranty scheme for appliances - I simply put the amount of money I'd been quoted for the warranties into the bank account and it just mounted up. You soon find that there's enough to buy new appliances in there and you end up with a savings account.

Repairs will be expensive, because many of these parts are unique to the EV, not shared across a big range of vehicles.

Reactions: billysielu

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had this letter to extend my warranty with BMW for my I3 Rex, appropriate because the manufacturers 3 year warranty expires 1st January 2017. There are 3 levels of warranty, Comprehensive (pretty much everything), some intermediate level and then drivetrain I think. It's a bit academic really because the only option for my i3 was the gold plated comprehensive. I found this out because I couldn't get any of the 3 options to work on the website logon they give and had to call them. The levels of cover were eye watering:

1 year £967
1 year £100 excess £763
1 year £250 excess £700
(Values rounded up/down to remove the pennies, shocked that BMW don't round down to the nearest £)

The problem is I don't know if the premiums increase year on year (I imagine they do), or are they fixed...I suppose I should ask. The other concern is the sheer cost of it, because it doesn't include servicing or any service parts. If one assumes you pay an average of £400 annually per service (which is not unrealistic for the I3 Rex). This "peace of mind" costs almost £1000 per year.

The concern is if it's set so high....what do they know that I don't?
The sweet spot is £760 per annum, but should I buy it?

With these costs and the fact they seriously hit used values for anyone who purchased a 64 Ah model, Do BMW want the I3 to be a success?
Again, rip-off BMW!

·
Registered
431 Posts
i3's entering middle age are an unknown quantity to the owner and perhaps to BMW too. Repairs, if needed, may well be expense due to the car being unique. Personally as the car is an unknown quantity as it ages I would be wary of holding onto it without a warranty or with the means to repair it come what may. I don't expect to keep my e-tron much beyond 3 years old, which is hopefully also when the Model 3 will be ready!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
On the leaf the PDM - Power Delivery Module, the top bit of the motor stack which includes charger is about £1500 new.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Bare in mind this warranty is underwritten by Allianz, the numbers quoted are significantly less than what has been quoted in recent months. But is not that much different to the cost of the extended warranty on any BMW of similar value.

Its how they (Allianz) make money...

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
What's your feel for the likliehood of needing to claim on it, @Jack?
Low, 2014/15 models will have had all the warranty work (read REME) done. Anything beyond that has new parts. The engineers at BMW had no problem confirming they expect battery and drivetrain to last way longer the the 8 years its warrantied for.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.