Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
When Craig (RZOC) spoke to one of the Renault guys in France he definitely said heating while charging worked.
I posed this to my dealer who went to the Zoe product manager. Answer is nothing changed so pre-heat trick still works.. As I couldn't even get the heater on when the engine was not started I would say short of a last minute pre-production change this is a given.

Also I had brought up the RZOC video as evidence to product manager.. I watched it a few times myself before doing so and I think there's a combination of possibilities that could explain the confusion.

In the video, he asked Guy#1 who then asked Guy#2 if the "AC" could be used while charging.. he confirmed yes AC still works for charging. Which I can see a way in which he would be right, the new Zoe can do AC charging ;). That or given he then immediately blurted "I'd have to check" he had just adlib'd the previous answer (for fear of otherwise not knowing) and made something up to bat the question away. Either way from other reviews, this test and my own testing it's a pretty certain given it won't work the way you're/we're hoping.. but that pre-condition workaround still working is re-assuring.

I'm more worried about the heated seats regression (doesn't seem to activate if engine is not started). Zoe product manager just stated nothing had changed there.. so if that's the case and the production model still doesn't allow it I will be raising this as a defect.

I'm okay with the heating while charging not being improved.. but not a regression in other functionality we already had.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Any battery temperature information in the display menu ( like the Leaf ) ?
Are Heated Seats still a option on all models of the ZE50 ?

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
You definitely cannot on CCS, we plugged it into an EH charger but although we could get the fans to blow there was no heat. Will try on our 22kW charger at work tomorrow
When Craig (RZOC) spoke to one of the Renault guys in France he definitely said heating while charging worked.
I'd want the new one to also do both.
Answer is nothing changed so pre-heat trick still works.

So @Badger in Black said no preheat button on the key fob, this was the main way to kick off heating in the Zoe when charging (so long as SOC was high enough). If the button isn't there then the only other way to kick off preheat is via the app, which is pants, it works sometimes, but usually takes a few mins for the message to get to the car. By which time your freezing. Using the heating in the older Zoes was never an option directly, and the preheat was the only option.

Be a shame if you can sit in warmth while charging. On a rapid when your miles from home all you want to do is get charged quick, and not freeze.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The 40 isn't that good. You have to keep hitting the auto button every 10 minutes or so to keep the heating on.

I suppose Renault think once you can rapid ish charge nobody will stay in the car..

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
So @Badger in Black said no preheat button on the key fob, this was the main way to kick off heating in the Zoe when charging (so long as SOC was high enough). If the button isn't there then the only other way to kick off preheat is via the app, which is pants, it works sometimes, but usually takes a few mins for the message to get to the car. By which time your freezing. Using the heating in the older Zoes was never an option directly, and the preheat was the only option.

Be a shame if you can sit in warmth while charging. On a rapid when your miles from home all you want to do is get charged quick, and not freeze.
Nothings certain with Renault but I'm hoping the reliability and response from the new app with 4G connectivity will be the alternative for the missing pre condition button.
At the Zoe unveiling the reps said themselves the ZE services app was pants and the new app is a massive improvement, we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
The 40 isn't that good. You have to keep hitting the auto button every 10 minutes or so to keep the heating on.

I suppose Renault think once you can rapid ish charge nobody will stay in the car..
I think this is Renault’s way of telling you to stretch your legs and get a coffee.

·
Registered
865 Posts
At least heated Seats work well while Charging on the ZE 40:)
But it Looks like Heated Seats are only on the GT-Line 😢

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
I think this is Renault’s way of telling you to stretch your legs and get a coffee.
Not much use when you're charging in East Bumblefook at night in the dark in the middle of winter with no shops open :p

Makes me feel a little better about being "stuck" with a Zoe1 for a few years anyway.

Wonder if really the AC system is reserved for protecting the battery and the preheat was an unintended loophole that has now been plugged.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
At least heated Seats work well while Charging on the ZE 40:)
But it Looks like Heated Seats are only on the GT-Line 😢
The winter pack - Heated seats and steering wheel are available as £500 option on the Iconic and GT line models, its unsure whether they work during charging which in my mind they must do surely :rolleyes:

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
we'll have to wait and see.
Well their self imposed date for new app release has long since passed hasn't it. Seems their new batch of interns can't code either.

And miss out on the camaraderie of fellow chargerers?
By this you mean all freeze together?

Not much use when you're charging in East Bumblefook at night in the dark in the middle of winter with no shops open
Totally this. The heat boost on Q210 is what kept me alive through my first months of ownership, and every subsequent winter when I've been charging away from home.

The winter pack - Heated seats and steering wheel are available as £500 option on the Iconic and GT line models, its unsure whether they work during charging which in my mind they must do surely :rolleyes:
You would hope they are powered by the 12v system and would work regardless.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does it still have the same heating system?
If so it’s gonna break, the zoe needs a heatpump and Ptc for when the heatpump breaks

·
Registered
387 Posts
Are Heated Seats still a option on all models of the ZE50 ?
Winter pack as covered before under options. Renault are trying to push more things into options presumably to bump up price unlike before where it was harder to convince someone to buy one so they just included a lot in the Signature NAV etc.

Of course it also depends on signal... which I comment on below.

Pressing the auto button every 10 minutes or so I believe does not give you any heat.. just blows whatever air is outside.. pre-condition is the only way to get heat while charging and is a counter-intuitive loophole but given Renault themselves mention it, it's not actively discouraged at least.

Nothings certain with Renault but I'm hoping the reliability and response from the new app with 4G connectivity will be the alternative for the missing pre condition button.
At the Zoe unveiling the reps said themselves the ZE services app was pants and the new app is a massive improvement, we'll have to wait and see.
The cars have EE SIMs in them.. the UK's #1 best mobile network ;) ... that said if you don't get EE signal wherever you park the car, then you aren't going to have much fun with the ZE50 and using the app either.

Not much use when you're charging in East Bumblefook at night in the dark in the middle of winter with no shops open :p

Makes me feel a little better about being "stuck" with a Zoe1 for a few years anyway.

Wonder if really the AC system is reserved for protecting the battery and the preheat was an unintended loophole that has now been plugged.
If you pre-condition while charging and the battery needs cooling it will simply stop charging and resume again as soon as the battery does not need cooling anymore or the demand on the heating has stopped. Have experienced this personally countless times on my ZE40. I have been informed by the Renault product manager the same trick should work on ZE50 and so there should be no "plugging" of this loophole.

Thanks for answering about winter pack. As for heated seats while charging.. I can't make it work. I'm told it should but it clearly doesn't. That said there will be regional variances with the cars we've seen as demos and the final version might be subtly different. I've raised the heated seats issue with almost anyone who will listen to me at Renault (and they do read these forums but don't reply) and if I end up with a ZE50 that still doesn't have heated seats while charging I will refer them to my previous correspondence and be sending it straight into the garage again as a defect..

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well their self imposed date for new app release has long since passed hasn't it. Seems their new batch of interns can't code either.
I was wondering about this too. There was a sudden flurry of activity back in September (IIRC?) that it was all going live but then nothing...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not trying to raise hopes too high, after ordering a ZE50 I heard a rumour that the software is not finalised (which software I can't say, because there can be a lot of it) and that deliveries to consumers are halted; I cannot verify the validity of the claim and I only know of one consumer that got her car because there was no alternative (long story). Also, ZE Services for ZE50 are not up and running, so even if you get a new Zoe for a test drive it's unlikely you'll have everything you'd expect to have.

There's no adaptive cruise control (ACC), it's lane keep assist and emergency braking (same ones as in Clio and Megane) - these two have been added to make the car keep it's 5-star NCAP rating. Funny, I think it's the same as in the Mercedes A-class, and it's pretty fun to let the car bounce between the lines at 100km/h (but dangerous if there are cars around). On a side note, even though the 110 and 135 PS motors have more power than the ZE20, the insurance premium seems to be lower. My current ZE20 is quoted for 2020 with 697 eur, but for the new ZE50 I was quoted 647 eur; that could be down to the lane keep assist and the emergency braking.

I can confirm that with my dealers' ZE50 you can operate the windows without the key-card in the car, nor "engine" started. Which is great, because in summer I needed to re-start the "engine" so that I can put the windows up... annyoing 1st world problem.

I seem to remember, not sure where I read it but will try to find it, that ZE50 does allow for heating and cooling the cabin while charging the car. However, with the dealer's ZE50, even when in park, with "engine" stopped, the ventilation unit didn't want to say hello at all. I attributed this to low 12V battery...

All ZE50 trims come with wireless key-card.

The van-door-like sound/feeling is still there, but slightly attenuated by the softer materials in the interior.

The stock audio-system seems rather decent, definitely better than the Arkamys used in ZE20.

OBDC port is in the A pillar now.

I remembers the sales rep saying that all ZE50 will come with ZE Services included for the first 3 years. After that... I don't know.

If you speak a tad of French, here's Renault's virtual showroom for Zoe:

• Those animated indicators in the back are probably the best implementation I've seen so far in any car (freakin' elegant)
  • The key-card looks more elegant
  • Back seat on the highest trim is foldable 60/40

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
Which is great, because in summer I needed to re-start the "engine" so that I can put the windows up... annyoing 1st world problem.
No you don't. Just slide the key into the slot and the windows can operate. This was rolled out in a firmware fix in 2015.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was wondering about this too. There was a sudden flurry of activity back in September (IIRC?) that it was all going live but then nothing...
What I can say for sure is that the very, very slow roll-out of the new, inexplicably-capitalised "MY Renault" app continues country-by-country, most recently Hungary and Bulgaria (10th October). I haven't bothered to see if the app code for those countries is any different to the French one I looked at back in July.

The new API seems to have recently become somewhat more flaky (even by the usual standards) with 50-75% of requests never reaching my car, but that could just be because my TCU needs a kick again.

ZE Services for ZE50 are not up and running
Do you have any more specifics? I'm almost certain that, app-side, ZE50 is going to use the same "new" API (Kamereon) as ZE40. There are some (what I presume to be) ZE50-only endpoints there - car location and the much-trumpeted "send destination" - that lack implementations, but I'd assume the rest of the functionality would be ready. Else how are people going to precondition their cars any more? ;)

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
OBDC port is in the A pillar now.
Should be alright for connecting to the car's database, but typical that they didn't use ADO. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you have any more specifics? I'm almost certain that, app-side, ZE50 is going to use the same "new" API (Kamereon) as ZE40. There are some (what I presume to be) ZE50-only endpoints there - car location and the much-trumpeted "send destination" - that lack implementations, but I'd assume the rest of the functionality would be ready. Else how are people going to precondition their cars any more?
The only consumer that I know having a retail ZE50 told me that it's not possible to activate ZE services on his car currently. I'll will try to get more info, but as far as I understood he can't get the activation code.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts