Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I see in the recent Budget that the government are committing to getting more EV chargers out there. I also see from the experiences on this forum that I believe reliability is much more of an issue than actual charger volume. Below is my own recent experience:
I did my first "long journey relying on public chargers" last week, on my way home from a remote office. I planned a charge using zap-map via a Polar charger half way home. I got to it (in the rain - always in the rain!) but the charger was showing "out of use" (zap-map listed it as working). I tried going through the charging sequence on the screen (there was a "home" button to get out of the error screen" but each time it came back with the same "out of use" error. I called the helpline and waited for about 4 minutes (in the car, not standing in the rain). Finally the call was answered by a very helpful guy who reset the charger, but it still came up with a fault condition. He thought it may have been someone pressing the emergency stop, but once he'd connected remotely to the charger, he said the error condition was a service panel open. I had a look round the unit but couldn't see any open panels. He said it was probably a safety interlock system and would need to send out an engineer. He found and directed me to another polar charger about 1.5 miles away. So i ended that call and drove to the new charger (the postcode he gave me wasn't right, but I found it with zap-map). On arriving at that charger, it said it was in use, but every time I tried to initiate a charge (using a contactless bank card, as I couldn't log into the polar app - forgotten password!) it went through the sequence to initiate charging, then immediately failed with "failed to commence charge" or some such error. Called the help line again and this time got through in about 1.5 minutes (still seems a long time when you're waiting in the rain). Different but equally helpful person took me through the process once more, but with same error outcome. She then enabled a charge via polar RFID (she remotely enabled the RFID, so I didn't need a card) and the charge started correctly. I'd now wasted about an hour and was very cold and wet. The charge she enabled was of course free (as she'd remotely enabled the RFID acceptance) so I was able to go into the pub (it was a toby carvery car park) and had a nice hot coffe and burger. So I got a free charge out of the experience, but still delayed me a good hour plus getting cold wet and miserable. Conclusion - there are plenty of chargers out there, but reliability is a major issue. I think the government needs to focus not on adding more, but on enforcing good maintenance and reasonable pricing for the ones that already exist! Thoughts anyone?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts