1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
454 Posts
Leased Zoe 50 supposed to be delivered to my wife later this week. I’ll be on the phone this morning delaying that until possibly never.

The 9 year old 3 Series Touring she’s been using as an interim car since we sold the i3S might be about to double in value.

There could well be a cut in general VAT to go with it too.

The only thing that might bugger up my sums is if .Gov use it as an excuse to immediately kill off the PICG. Seems quite possible they wouldn’t give two relatively large incentives at the same time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Calm down, calm down! Yesterday I read that clickbait story too. It mentioned £6K discounts for EVs to support the British car industry. If that means our national manufacturing, it boils down to the Leaf as nothing else is built here. Including British brands, we could encompass the Austrian Jaguar i-Pace or the Spanish Vauxhall Corsa. Or it could mean the British motor industry in its entirety, including dealerships. Either way, it won't be an extra £6K off the existing price of anything.
Before we all get excited and ready to splurge cash, let's see exactly what the offers are.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,232 Posts
£6k off won't happen as manufacturers will just hike the price back up. You'd also have to limit the actions of greedy speculators selling cars on short supply above list if they've had incentives as well.

PICG is £3k. It's best removed and have VAT taken down to 0% instead. Raise the first registration fees of all small diesel cars by £2k to push people away from them in small cars.

Cheapest ICE is a Sandero at £6k. That will go anywhere not just 50 miles like an old leaf. The top of the range one is £9k. That's where new EV pricing really needs to start. Not at £16k with the cheapest Skoda citigo.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
£6k off won't happen as manufacturers will just hike the price back up. You'd also have to limit the actions of greedy speculators selling cars on short supply above list if they've had incentives as well.

PICG is £3k. It's best removed and have VAT taken down to 0% instead. Raise the first registration fees of all small diesel cars by £2k to push people away from them in small cars.

Cheapest ICE is a Sandero at £6k. That will go anywhere not just 50 miles like an old leaf. The top of the range one is £9k. That's where new EV pricing really needs to start. Not at £16k with the cheapest Skoda citigo.
Taking VAT down to 0% is hardly a progressive policy - it benefits Boris's mates more than the poor.

To get the lowest cost EVs down to £9k it is more effective to raise the PICG than lower VAT.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
AS i said, they would just hike the price.

Really it needs to be 0% vat on EV sales below £35k an no PICG
Shove a free smart charger in as well with them to help get installers some work and another industry some business as well.

Above £35k its 10% VAT and no charger thru OLEV either.
Olev at this point would no longer give grants for chargers to help make the market more competitive.

It would also be better and help stimulate some more business if they 0% rated home energy storage and solar panels...

·
Registered
459 Posts
can't access full article.
Any indication if it would be on top off existing PiCG?
Could be a nice £9.5k

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
No chance it'll be as-well-as, it's be instead-of...
since I deleased my Soul in April I’ve had a 2010 BMW 3 series Touring that i picked up cheap off a mate that is probably worth around £2K in current state (high miles a few war wounds) and conditions for selling. So an extra £1K on top for a guaranteed trade in If I factor £3K will be offset on the PiCG going away, isn’t too shabby, but then again as much as it pains me, in the current uncertain climates is buying a new car a sensible move versus running the Bimmer into the ground

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The way to do it is, get rid of the PICG, increase the purchase tax on cars that you don't want people to buy and decrease (or remove) the purchase tax on cars you do want people to buy.

The PICG only really benefits the manufacturers.

That seems to work well in Norway.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
In what way does one type of grant benefit the manufacturers and another not? :unsure: I can't see the difference if the amount is the same, and a % reduction is a non-progressive form of taxation that benefits the rich most. More ICE will be taken off of the road if it favours the purchase of low-cost EVs.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts